• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Dazza

Holy crap the textures on her hair. Guys! Curly hair in games looks like hair now!

Strangely I didn't notice at first because it seemed to natural. Whereas in most games I notice it because it's so bad

There is something a bit off with her facial animations though, maybe it's the lips and jaw

Numb

aggressive keystrokes

mjlol.png

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Strangely I didn't notice at first because it seemed to natural. Whereas in most games I notice it because it's so bad

There is something a bit off with her facial animations though, maybe it's the lips and jaw

I think people just aren't used to seeing facial animations that well done (without MotionScan, that is - ala L.A. Noire), and because it looks eerily lifelike, it's dropped into the Uncanny Valley for the first time in the series' history.

Damn saying maybe that happened is shooing people away? Is it because I said "shittier job" is that the aggressive part? That's just how I talk, I'm sorry it's too much for you. I'm just saying maybe that's what happened if you wanna take what I said as something different then enjoy, but please stop quoting me saying the same thing over and over. It doesn't help your point.

It's the "they went and got their feelings hurt"-versus-"I hurt their feelings" rhetoric that's coming across as ridiculous. You're trying to make a delicate point by hammering it in with a cinderblock.

It's the "they went and got their feelings hurt"-versus-"I hurt their feelings" rhetoric that's coming across as ridiculous. You're trying to make a delicate point by hammering it in with a cinderblock.

I'm not implying some rhetoric, sorry if it came off that way. I honestly just meant I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't see an issue with it to begin with though.

Gray Matter

Nolan north, Troy baker, Laura Bailey and her husband Travis have a dynasty in VA. They have been in a bunch of games together in different variations.

TLoU
Uncharted 4
Tales from the borderlands
Infamous
Infamous first light.

It's fucking ridiculous!

TLOU spoilers
Every major character is dead except Joel, Ellie, and Joel's brother.
And
Bill
You talk about how Marlene is constantly getting in the protagonists way,
but this isn't even true until the very end of the game. Once Joel decides to transport Ellie, you don't even see Marlene again until probably ten hours later in the game, and that's at the end.
I've asked you where she's portrayed as being angry, but you just keep saying that she is without actually giving examples of when that is.
When you first meet her she isn't angry at all. She tells Joel and Tess that she'll get the weapons for them and more if they help transport something for her, and then proceeds to help them out. Once you meet up with Ellie, she spends her time trying to calmly explain the situation to everyone (even though she's wounded). She tries to calm both Ellie and Tess down in the scene. Those two are the only ones angry in the scene. When you meet up with her at the end of the game with the Fireflies she's again calm and simply explains to Joel that what Ellie has is a gift and this is what need to happen. She never exhibits any anger. And then the end sequence is the closest she gets to being angry. But even then she's trying to calmly explain the situation to Joel.
I'm genuinely curious about where you're coming from with the anger angle, but you aren't explaining it. I understand where you're coming from with Daisy, but she isn't even remotely similar to Marlene as a character.
I feel it's mostly at the end of the game. The game
makes her into a villain, somewhat,
which plays into the trope even if it doesn't play as heavily as Daisy does. I admit that I overstated how much she did, looking back on it now. But I have seen it mentioned around before and I do think there is something to the criticism. Daisy is infinitely worse, though.

I'm not implying some rhetoric, sorry if it came off that way. I honestly just meant I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I don't see an issue with it to begin with though.

You're good, dude. I don't hold much stock in individual game devs and ND has a decent track record when it comes to this sort of stuff (TLOU especially), so it just seems a little off in this case that we have a major character whose VA doesn't line up in that way. That being said, this new character doesn't particularly resemble Bailey outside of a couple of features that would have been specifically adjusted to optimize mocap (e.g. her cheekbones and lips), and Bailey is a pretty common VA these days, which is why I'm guessing it was wrought out of Bailey having a wider utility, being able to lend her time to background characters and whatnot as well.

Meaty

Her facial animations look off to me. I don't know why, but I'm getting some uncanny valley feelings that I don't get with Drake or Scully or his brother. It's not bad, but I guess it's a bit jarring because it doesn't appear AS good as the others

Well, they try to mimic the facial expression of the actors, it might not work so well here because the facial build of Laura could be very different from the character shes portraying.

Sully, Drake, Elena, all of them have their faces kinda modeled after their actor which helps a lot the animation crew.

3rdbass

Banned
GOW isn't even trying to go for reality based greek interpretations.

Even if she is South Australian black and not African American, it could not have been too hard to find someone to accurately represent the role. Naughty Dog did decently well in this area for TLOU.

She isn't from South Africa. She is a white girl from Miss. Not that it matters but not sure why they chose her.

Ricky_R

She isn't from South Africa. She is a white girl from Miss. Not that it matters but not sure why they chose her.

Considering that Marlene, Henry, Sam and Riley were all voiced by black voice actors, I would guess that they went with the Bailey because they thought it was the best fit for the job.

poodaddy

I changed it due to the sodium from this thread. I'm already expecting the inevitable for whatever was racist about saying ghetto & I didn't say all either.

It's racist because you're saying the reason they didn't want a black actress is to avoid the actress sounding ghetto man. You literally said that all black actresses sound ghetto. You don't see that as racist? Like seriously? I mean you can deflect all day and call it "salty", but you know you just said some racist shit. Don't play it off like you didn't, if you're gonna be ignorant at least own it man. Stop being a coward and just apologize for your racist comment. It might help you avoid "the inevitable" that you're referring to. I've seen lots of people narrowly avoid that ending by just admitting they were wrong, but insulting the people who call them on their bullshit rarely ends well. It's just advice.

Considering that Marlene, Henry, Sam and Riley were all voiced by black voice actors, I would guess that they went with the white girl because they thought it was the best fit for the job.
As some have said, given ND's track record, it seems reasonable to guess they might have used Laura because of her wide utility?

What do you mean by wide utility?

I haven't kept up with UC4, but presumably Bailey's versatility / track record as a VA means it's possible for her to provide additional roles (e.g. background characters, NPCs, etc.) whereas a black Australian VA wouldn't, though even then, that kind of falls apart when you consider that an Australian VA could just as easily do an American accent to fulfill similar "background character" roles.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What are your thoughts on a black women voicing a white character?

When they are trying to voice an actual region on earth and not just a skin color? Its definitely strange.

But reverse that, and just gone on the assumption that ND threw up their hands and got the most mainstream female voice they could find that literally everyone uses instead of someone more diverse for a specific ethnic backround is mystifying.

Eh? I'm talking about the character, not Laura Bailey.

Ricky_R

I haven't kept up with UC4, but presumably Bailey's versatility / track record as a VA means it's possible for her to provide additional roles (e.g. background characters, NPCs, etc.) whereas a black Australian VA wouldn't, though even then, that kind of falls apart when you consider that an Australian VA could just as easily do an American accent to fulfill similar "background character" roles.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks.

Theoretically her already doing other background/side character work? Possible I guess. I don't know enough about the hiring of VAs to know how that stuff is considered though.

Yeah, you meant that she has great range and can be used for other roles in case they need. I was just confused by the terminology.

But reverse that, and just gone on the assumption that ND threw up their hands and got the most mainstream female voice they could find that literally everyone uses instead of someone more diverse for a specific ethnic backround is mystifying.

We know they tossed out a lot of mocap and voice work when the project was essentially rebooted. They may have wanted to use established actors/those that they're known to work with to make sure things go as smooth as possible. It'd explain why they went with Troy, also an extremely popular actor.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We know they tossed out a lot of mocap and voice work when the project was essentially rebooted. Since they may have wanted to get things done as efficiently as possible, they may have wanted to use established actors/those that they're known to work with to make sure things go as smooth as possible. It'd also explain why they went with Troy, also an extremely popular actor.

I guess that makes sense....

I don't imply racism, just that its stupid to make a black woman and then not have her voiced accurately. There's plenty of black females around looking for voice acting jobs. Why go with Laura bailey who could get anything in her sleep?

"Voiced accurately"? Are you saying black people have something different about their voices?

Game looks great and whoever did the voice for her sounds like she's doing a fantastic job. I don't care what color her skin is.

Yeah, you meant that she has great range and can be used for other roles in case they need. I was just confused by the terminology.
Yep sorry for my poor wording ahaha.
We know they tossed out a lot of mocap and voice work when the project was essentially rebooted. They may have wanted to use established actors/those that they're known to work with to make sure things go as smooth as possible. It'd explain why they went with Troy, also an extremely popular actor.
Oh yeah, didn't even think of that. Rebooting the project probably didn't do the mocap/VA stuff any favors. Might have needed to make some concessions all around.

BroBot

I thought the trailer was amazing...then I realized that I watched it in 480p. So I re-watched it in 1080p. I'm going to cry. It's beautiful.

prwxv3

I've been reading for over an hour so.. Yeah. Also, if required cookies could be removed so I can continue reading. I don't post often. Also, other sites to read on if required.

I do hope you realize that you are on life support right now.

Top Bottom