• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 runs at 1080p and targeting 60fps

It won't be 60 FPS locked. You can guarantee that. Consoles simply aren't powerful enough yet. It might hover around 60FPS in certain locations that don't have a lot going on, but as soon as anything happens it'll dip right back down.

You doubt ND talent? Look at Last of Us in PS3 and now we have easy and powerful PS4 with huge number of compute units which is custom designed. Only ND can utilize this compute and I'm sure they can hit 60 FPS in 1080p.

Amir0x

Banned
Even coming from Naughty Dog, nope, I don't believe it. Sorry.

Frankly what is it with developers who say they're targeting 60fps this gen? Why even say it?

Is there even one game so far that has said they're targeting 60fps that actually hit it? Is Last of Us Remastered 60fps, because they were targeting that shit too.

It's bullshit to overhype something.

hwateber

Damn, Nate looks quite a bit older now. And Sully is still going to be in this? Two player co-op with wheelchair Sully please

you don't have to be used to anything. I'm saying it's nothing you have to play. There has never once been a game on the planet that played better at 30fps than 60fps.* Not one, ever.

This won't be the first one. There are tangible gameplay and visual benefits to 60fps. There are none that 30fps has over 60fps.

*Except the games that were originally made at 30fps and then forced to run at 60fps, and you get skipped animations or non-functional gameplay. But that's not the scenario we're talking about here.
I know dude. I'm sure the gameplay will benefit greatly from it, I just mean visually speaking it's very different because of it being 60 fps than any of the other Uncharted games. That much was clear from the trailer. That's all I'm really commenting on. So for a series ingrained in my mind at 30 fps to go to 60, it is indeed jarring to see.

Metfanant

"Targeting" worries me that we end up with an unlocked framerate and a 30fps cap is introduced through a patch about a month later...

However...if what we saw is in any way representative of what gameplay will look like...the bar has been raised...

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
lol@ the naughtdog non-believers talkin' that CGI/prerendered shit. Ahahahaha

Go play Uncharted/Last of us and see what they pulled off with old as fuck hardware that's a pain in the ass to develop for. These motherfuckers are legit.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
The cutscenes in TLOU were in-engine and those were definitely not rendered on a single PS3 system. When you watch the cutscenes on your PS3 they are basically just video files being played. Uncharted was the same.

The question is if the cutscenes on UC4 will be running in real time on the actual console and not just a bunch of video files.

I just think it's out of the cards that the teaser was real time, everything about it is just TOO perfect.

More than willing to be wrong.

People expecting the game to look exactly like that at 1080p and 60fps are gonna be let down.

Have ND ever shown 100% real time footage for their games in the initial reveals?

Go play Uncharted/Last of us and see what they pulled off with old as fuck hardware that's a pain in the ass to develop for. These motherfuckers are legit.

Then go back and watch the TLOU reveal and see that it was a pre-rendered cutscene

Yeah I was honestly expecting that to just turn into a playable demo once it panned to his back. If anyone is capable of delivering those graphics, it's Naughty Dog.

Amir0x

Banned
I know dude. I'm sure the gameplay will benefit greatly from it, I just mean visually speaking it's very different because of it being 60 fps than any of the other Uncharted games. That much was clear from the trailer. That's all I'm really commenting on. So for a series ingrained in my mind at 30 fps to go to 60, it is indeed jarring to see.

Alright. One last thing though. Hypothetically speaking since you know the gameplay can only benefit, would it matter if you just had to adjust to the buttery smoothness of the visuals? Since we know the gameplay can only be improved by it. Or is it jarring in the sense that you are getting physically ill looking at it?

liunli

Neo Member
Bullshit will the game look that good, with IQ that good, running at 1080p and 60fps.

Would love to be wrong, but come on, that was CG.

It's not cg, it doesn't have to be. It can be done on ps4 but not gameplay. Gameplay has many more things running/calculating than just animation.

Alright. One last thing though. Hypothetically speaking since you know the gameplay can only benefit, would it matter if you just had to adjust to the buttery smoothness of the visuals? Since we know the gameplay can only be improved by it. Or is it jarring in the sense that you are getting physically ill looking at it?
By jarring I don't mean it's offensive to me or I'm getting physically ill at all. I just mean it's surprising. Unexpected. I can get used to 60fps as soon as I play it, but from first impression based off that trailer I thought it looked weird. I'm all for 60fps if they can hit it and keep it smooth, I just wasn't expecting it from Uncharted. :p

StuBurns

Banned
Just watched the video on my PS3, how can it look better than The Order, be full screen, have a cleaner IQ and run at double the framerate?

Either no one else is even trying in the industry, or it's not all it seems.

Why doesn't Naughty Dog let other first party devs use their engine? This shit looks way better than the Order, runs at a higher framerate, and is rendering more pixels to boot. Assuming of course, this information is correct and this footage is a close representation of what the final product will look like.

EDIT: ^^ Lol, beat.

Amir0x

Banned
By jarring I don't mean it's offensive to me or I'm getting physically ill at all. I just mean it's surprising. Unexpected. I can get used to 60fps as soon as I play it, but from first impression based off that trailer I thought it looked weird. I'm all for 60fps if they can hit it and keep it smooth, I just wasn't expecting it from Uncharted. :p

Okay then. I guess I was just confused by the use of the word 'jarring.' No big deal :)

Symax

198qj0pvzn5wqgif.gif

Okay then. I guess I was just confused by the use of the word 'jarring.' No big deal :)
Yeah sorry about that! I didn't mean it in such a strong sense. I only meant it was different from what I'm used to, that's all.

I am hyped beyond belief for this game, though!

Persona7

Banned
I just think it's out of the cards that the teaser was real time, everything about it is just TOO perfect.

More than willing to be wrong.

Another thing to consider is the fact that disk space was already an issue for U3 and TLOU and the cutscenes were heavily compressed, they had more detail and could do more action heavy scenes but the compression killed the IQ.

Maybe they will save disk space by rendering some of the scenes in real time.

PS3 is going on 8 years old & PS4 GPU is 10 x more powerful with newer tech & 16 x the memory & people doubt ND could pull off them graphics on PS4 when the PS3 was able to pull this off?

bmUploads_2013-03-19_1753_FIRST_INT01.jpg
that looks like complete shit after watching the Uncharted 4 trailer. next gen is here guise :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just watched the video on my PS3, how can it look better than The Order, be full screen, have a cleaner IQ and run at double the framerate?

Either no one else is even trying in the industry, or it's not all it seems.

They may have early access to new tools since ICE is a part of the studio. Combine that with their raw talent and you can get some great results. I agree this is absolutely insane but I want to believe.

Lasdrub

Direct link to 1080p 60fps trailer.

http://nd.images.s3.amazonaws.com/video/U4-E3-Teaser-FINAL-Online-HQ-5994_H266_gamersyde-update.mp4

I love the fact that they themselves labeled it as a "gamersyde" trailer.

It says "For we receive the due rewards for our deeds" on the cage at the end. I didn't know there was something written there on the stream. It's from Luke 23:41, the full verse being

"And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.'

For context:

"39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."

The cage at the end says, "for we receive the due reward of our deeds". It's evidently from Luke 23:41.

'And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.'

Somebody is getting it. Big time.

Jarmel

Banned
The cage at the end says, "for we receive the due reward of our deeds". It's evidently from Luke 23:41.

'And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.'

Drake/Sully for all their killings, one of them is going to bite it?

Amir0x

Banned

I think they will explore Nathan Drake's perpetual selfishness. At always getting his friends involved in these adventures, knowing the risk of life and limb. Sully practically left Nathan alone in uncharted 2 after he saw how serious things were getting. And yet Nathan is dragging him back!

On top of that, the tone of the trailer to me is suggesting something happens, Sully is probably in some sense removed from the picture, and Nate is either out for revenge or to save him.

I'd like if they explored Nathan Drake's extreme insensitivity to those around him when he gets obsessed with some treasure.

"Targeting" worries me that we end up with an unlocked framerate and a 30fps cap is introduced through a patch about a month later...

However...if what we saw is in any way representative of what gameplay will look like...the bar has been raised...

Honestly, both 30FPS capped games, Infamous and Killzone, look horrible to me capped. I have no idea what people are smoking when they say capped looks better it doesn't. It looks like a stuttering mess. I play almost all my games at 60FPS and Infamous especially you could tell within one second of switching to capped that it wasn't meant to be on that setting. They obviously did a lot of optimization to prevent excessive judder, and 30FPS has an inherent judder all to itself in camera panning games that is HORRID.

Renekton

I think they will explore Nathan Drake's perpetual selfishness. At always getting his friends involved in these adventures, knowing the risk of life and limb. Sully practically left Nathan alone in uncharted 2 after he saw how serious things were getting. And yet Nathan is dragging him back!

On top of that, the tone of the trailer to me is suggesting something happens, Sully is probably in some sense removed from the picture, and Nate is either out for revenge or to save him.

I'd like if they explored Nathan Drake's extreme insensitivity to those around him when he gets obsessed with some treasure.
Also there is increasing fan noise about the disconnect where Nathan somehow can maintain a cheeky lovable facade despite slaughtering armies in his games. ND probably wants to address that.

Top Bottom