• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 story discussion: How much closure will we get on Nathan's adventures?

So as we all know, Uc4 is supposed to be ND's last Uncharted game, as well as the concluding chapter for Nathan Drake. Uc3 wasn't really a satisfying end to his story, so everyone's waiting to see how it all ends in Uc4.

The question I'm proposing is, how much closure will we get on what's gone on in this universe? I don't know about the rest of y'all but I found the background stories of some of the installments to be intriguing, and sometimes I wish the campaign expanded upon them. Let's start with before Uc1.

*Eye of Indra, is it canon? If it is, will we ever see Nathan find Eddie's sister? He said he was gonna find her, but that story kind of just ended there. Who knows what she's been up to since then? So here there hasn't really been any closure.

*In Uc1 (never really played it much), is Eddie truly dead? The obvious answer is yes but I think there's a part of the Uncharted community that wants to believe he survived and is out there somewhere and if he does, I hope he doesn't blame Nathan & come back for revenge. He was a jerkweed & an asshole, but he wasn't really evil.

*In Uc2, during the Nepal section, Chloe mentioned a civil war in the city that you are exploring And even in this cutscene Nathan looks at the resistance fighters who run by him and can tell something is up. He even later said "Things aren't looking too good for the resistance." As I was playing Uc2, I was hoping to know more about what happened in this ruined city, how it came to be, what Lazarevic was doing in regards to the war other thing "putting fuel on the flames" or whatever, and if Nathan could've done anything to help the resistance.

*In Uc3, Salem was a cool character. There aren't a lot of Middle Eastern Arab/Middle Eastern characters in fiction held in a positive light, so I'm hoping (but not expecting) that they'll bring him back, to help in some way. Most likely he'll just be an mp skin along with Tenzin.

*The only thing about golden abyss I really want to know if it is canon. The easy answer is, yes, it is, but with ND rejecting a second vita game and them seemingly hesitant to have golden abyss made in the first place, makes me kinda think they want people to forget the events of the game.

Also, and this one's been beaten to death but the whole Nathan Drake: mass murderer thing. I know this argument comes off as silly but the reason people think about the amount of deaths that occur in these games is because Nathan Drake is a treasure hunter. His motive is making money. He's not a soldier, and he's not a thug. And even in-game, as someone who loved Uc2 and often goes back and forth with Me2 as my favorite game, I found the endless waves of enemies to shoot at at every section really annoying. The platforming is my favorite part of Uncharted. So I'm hoping that Chloe if she's there, or Elena, will at least in passing, mention to Nathan how much bloodshed Nathan has to commit for the things he's doing. It doesn't have to be a HUGE focus of the game, but I feel like it should be mentioned. Even if it's the antagonist who brings it up again, like Lazarevic, saying "We kill, you kill. We're both trying to get the same thing."

I know each Uncharted installment is supposed to be a standalone title, and that's totally cool, but since Uc4 is the final installment for this part of the series, I'm hoping for a little more full circle and a darker campaign this time around.

What do you think?

I just want it to really be the end. Tie up every end of the story as a whole and move on from Uncharted. How they do it? Idk.

Edit: I want a happy, feel good ending ended in a joke.

sjay1994

Is there really a huge overarching narrative to uncharted?

I feel like anyone can pick up any of these games, understand what is going on and the relationships between the characters (maybe with the exception of 3 due to some of its plot holes.)

Most of them even end with closure. If you told me any of the games was the last one, I'd have accepted it because its told its self contained story.

Uncharted doesn't need to be Metal Gear.

I just want some closure on Nate's past life, before Colombia. His Real Name, How he got himself in Colombia, Where was Sam? etc.
I'd like to see what's he been up to between U3 and U4. If Indiana Jones is a college professor, what would Nathan Drake be doing as a retired treasure hunter/thief? I keep thinking he be working in a museum as a tour guide for some reason XD.

zsynqx

I just want some closure on Nate's past life, before Colombia. His Real Name, How he got himself in Colombia, Where was Sam? etc.
I'd like to see what's he been up to between U3 and U4. If Indiana Jones is a college professor, what would Nathan Drake be doing as a retired treasure hunter/thief? I keep thinking he be working in a museum as a tour guide for some reason XD.

I want a whole level of him just working in an office job at the start and for them to make it extra monotonous to play. Would be some genius narrative gameplay as it will mirror his own feelings of wanting to get back to the treasure hunting life.

"A Thiefs End" is really telling me it's Sam's end not Drake. I don't see this game ending with all key characters still alive. That is just too simple so I think Sam is going to die and Drake will finally quit with his dangerous treasure hunting and live in peace with Elena. My guess for the ending scene is, Chloe returns and Sully says "I'm getting too old for this."

I have a feeling that the only character that would die is Chloe or Cutter.
The ending will probably be similar to U2 with Drake being the injured one seemingly indicating that he is out of the "game".
Sony wont give up on the franchise and get someone to make more but it will be prequels in line with Golden Abyss as there is plenty of backstory to play with.

ZeroX03

Banned
So you want a bunch of random pointless questions answered? No, Uncharted 4 will not provide satisfactory closure for you.

Revven

Re Eddy Raja: ND (or at least, a few of the people part of the team) has gone on record saying they have wanted to bring him back or something along those lines. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Eddy is either in the game's main story at one point (somehow) or the story DLC is a side story featuring Eddy Raja that's relevant to the main story. If Eddy is to come back, the time is now for sure it's been long enough that it wouldn't come off as bad as if, say, he was put into UC2's story for example.

I could see them maybe addressing some of the stuff they didn't answer very well in UC3 (Drake's real name) but nothing more.

Ricky_R

Re Eddy Raja: ND (or at least, a few of the people part of the team) has gone on record saying they have wanted to bring him back or something along those lines. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Eddy is either in the game's main story at one point (somehow) or the story DLC is a side story featuring Eddy Raja that's relevant to the main story. If Eddy is to come back, the time is now for sure it's been long enough that it wouldn't come off as bad as if, say, he was put into UC2's story for example.

I could see them maybe addressing some of the stuff they didn't answer very well in UC3 (Drake's real name) but nothing more.

You're telling me that Eddie may have survived both the fall and the "Spaniard"? That's some Kojima twist right there.

ZeroX03

Banned
as I explained in the OP, they aren't random or pointless in my opinion..

But they are. Artisan you've got a habit of fixating on really small things, you do it in Tekken threads all the time. These are not plot points that anyone at ND will care about save for maybe Eddie but that's really stretching it.

But they are. Artisan you've got a habit of fixating on really small things, you do it in Tekken threads all the time. These are not plot points that anyone at ND will care about save for maybe Eddie.
they aren't to me, zerox. I'm aware that not all these questions are going to be answered but that's a disappointment to me. it's not like i won't buy Uc4 because of it, but that it'd be nice to have some closure. doesn't matter all that much if there won't be.

as far as the tekken threads go, i think you're referring to that one time (I don't know where you're getting "all the time" from) when I was asking about the system that tekken 7 was running in the arcades. and even then I said yes it doesn't matter, but that I was simply curious to know if bandai namco was keeping up with tradition.

Revven

You're telling me that Eddie may have survived both the fall and the "Spaniard"? That's some Kojima twist right there.

Hey, anything can happen when you don't explicitly see the character die. If they did it in a way where you saw all the Spainard nazi zombies or whatever eating away at Eddie like Lazarevic got beaten/eaten/whatever on-screen then sure, he would be definitively dead. But the way they "killed" him off means it's left up to interpretation and it's very likely he could have survived somehow if ND wants to bring him back. It's not like he lost his golden gun when he got grabbed (at least we don't see it fall out of his hand, he just gets pulled down after getting bitten on the neck -- which we don't even know if biting his neck does anything more than just a flesh wound).

But they really are the most unimportant stuff. Not every little detail needs to be spelled out.
not every detail needs to be spelled out but for me personally, the games' stories would've been fuller if it answered some of those questions. doesn't totally detract from the experience, though

ZeroX03

Banned
they aren't to me, zerox. I'm aware that not all these questions are going to be answered but that's a disappointment to me. it's not like i won't buy Uc4 because of it, but that it'd be nice to have some closure. doesn't matter all that much if there won't be.

as far as the tekken threads go, i think you're referring to that one time (I don't know where you're getting "all the time" from) when I was asking about the system that tekken 7 was running in the arcades. and even then I said yes it doesn't matter, but that I was simply curious to know if bandai namco was keeping up with tradition.

You're literally asking them to answer questions that basically only you care about. Nobody else seems to be clamoring for these answers. That means they're unimportant. Do they matter in the grand scheme of Nathan, Elena and Sully's lives? No. They have no importance to the main characters or the people who play the games except you.

Anyway I'll reiterate the answer: you won't be getting the closure you want.

I honestly would have been fine if it had ended with Uncharted 3, I thought that was a satisfying conclusion.

All i hope for by the end of Uncharted 4 is that Nate and Elena are still happily married together.

Visceir

Haven't most of the games had a somewhat satisfying ending that might have just as well been the end to the series? There is no overarching storyline between the games and they are definitely not going to kill off Nathan.

The ending will be satisfying for sure, but they'll leave room to come back to the series sometimes in the future -- much like Indiana Jones, I guess.

Randam

Thinks OP listed don't really interested me.

Just want everything to turn out good and everyone happy.

And it would be cool, if they showed us how Nate and Chloe meet.

You're literally asking them to answer questions that basically only you care about. Nobody else seems to be clamoring for these answers. That means they're unimportant. Do they matter in the grand scheme of Nathan, Elena and Sully's lives? No. They have no importance to the main characters or the people who play the games except you.

Anyway I'll reiterate the answer: you won't be getting the closure you want.
I understand that in the big picture of things, they're unimportant. What I'm trying to say is that for me personally, it would've been interesting to expand upon the things happening in the background of the universe.

lots

This is ND's last game with him, they are absolutely going to close his arc and the groups arc.

EDIT: Oh, you meant like the universe and stuff? Uhh, not at all, those aren't important

Don't see why EoI wouldn't be canon, since Neil Druckmann wrote it. Even the comics might be since Naughty Dog was involved.

I'm just a little bummed that they'll yet again be using the Drake/Elena relationship trouble as a plot point. It's getting really, really tired.

Tagyhag

They have to kill him.

If they want to do any kind of follow up to TLOU, Drake has to die.

My guess? After so many "Sully died! Nah jk he's all good" moments, he'll finally die this time. While Drake lives a happy life away from adventuring.

Not that this is necessarily a bad ending, but it would be really by the book.

Sully dies, Elena finds out shes pregnant, she convinces Drake to finally give up treasure hunting and name their child after Sully. Deep down, his lust for revenge festers, his phantom pain lives on.

(3yrs later) Uncharted: A Thief's Revenge

I understand that in the big picture of things, they're unimportant. What I'm trying to say is that for me personally, it would've been interesting to expand upon the things happening in the background of the universe.

The only problem I have with your logic is that the things you listed are already expanded supportive narrative to the main games. Eye of Indra and Golden Abyss are supportive materials to establish Nathan Drake prior to UC1. A daily life of so to speak. We don't need supportive materials for supportive materials. Uncharted is a simple character story. Stuff like UC2 rebel movement or whatever would be completely out of context in Uncharted 4 and would make no sense and a waste of time as it needs no explanation. Everything you listed would be a hindrance to UC4.

I like to see a death of a main character(Sully) maybe to sway drake from doing this ever again....maybe Elena and Drake have a kid.

Chloe's ass comes back...just finished Uncharted 2 :p

The only problem I have with your logic is that the things you listed are already expanded supportive narrative to the main games. Eye of Indra and Golden Abyss are supportive materials to establish Nathan Drake prior to UC1. A daily life of so to speak. We don't need supportive materials for supportive materials. Uncharted is a simple character story. Stuff like UC2 rebel movement or whatever would be completely out of context in Uncharted 4 and would make no sense and a waste of time as it needs no explanation. Everything you listed would be a hindrance to UC4.
Alright, I won't argue with you there. But the thing with eye of indra specifically is that, if it is canon, its story isn't conclusive with regards to eddie's sister. it's been probably like 5 years since those events occurred but she still hasn't turned up and could be wondering wtf happened with her brother.

They've already pulled the Sully dies card once, so I don't think they'll fall on that again. I know the ending of Uncharted 4 anyway.

Big happy ending, everybody's celebrating with the treasure. Elena goes to kiss Nate..but Sam shoots Elena in the head.

And then unmasks to reveal Sam is Marisa Chase.

REVENGE IS SWEET

Sully dies saving Drake, game ends then credits roll with a flash forward sequence showing Nate and Elena later in life during various time periods. At home with each other, traveling, playing with their kids, grandkids and so on till you see a funeral with an old Elena and their children.

Elena puts Nates necklace in his casket and it closes slowly fading to black.

"Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End"
"Developed by Naughty Dog"

Top Bottom