• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima Movies Will Stream on Netflix After Theatrical Run

DonJorginho

Banned
Upcoming movies from Sony Pictures like Uncharted and Ghost of Tsushima will stream on Netflix once their theatrical releases have concluded, as the film distributor has inked a lucrative long-term deal with the juggernaut streaming service. It’s important to note that this contract will not entitle subscribers to watch the films at launch – they’ll still debut in cinemas, assuming they’re open – but Netflix will be able to broadcast the flicks thereafter.

The deal will go into effect next year, with movies like Morbius and Bullet Train on the docket. Netflix has also signed a “first look” agreement with Sony Pictures when it comes to original movies produced for the direct-to-streaming market, and while it’s committed to a set number of titles, the distributor will still be able to sell content elsewhere. Finally, the streaming giant has also confirmed that it will license an unspecified number of titles from the Sony Pictures’ vault.

The contract only covers the United States right now, but is expected to run five years and be worth “hundreds of millions of dollars”. In fact, sources told Variety that this deal could be a record breaker, although it’s worth noting that with companies like Disney deciding to launch their own streaming services, the arrangements are getting rarer. “Netflix has been a terrific partner as we continue to expand our relationship,” a spokesperson said.

With the recently established PlayStation Productions committed to creating more and more content based on video game properties, this news all but ensures those franchises will end up on Netflix eventually. Sony Pictures, of course, will see this as a win for its bottom-line, but with around 74 million Netflix subscribers in the United States alone, this will also expose more people to the organisation’s gaming brands as well.

DELETE IF ALREADY POSTED :)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wish companies would stop with this BS where they make their own services and just should stick to the major streaming services. It's starting to become like Cable packages but without the contact.

To me it's much better as you can buy premium movies as well. Also it seems to be dependent on Sony Pictures library.

I wish companies would stop with this BS where they make their own services and just should stick to the major streaming services. It's starting to become like Cable packages but without the contact.
If everything stuck to the major streaming services they would have to charge prices like the cable packages did.

I think it's time everyone realizes they were duped into the streaming future with promises of cheaper prices that were never realistic or going to happen. Stupid suckers with their $150 cable bills, Netflix will totally let you watch every movie and TV show in existence for $8 a month, that is absolutely a viable business strategy that will never change.

Duchess

So, in answer to MS wanting to make Game Pass the Netflix of gaming, Sony has decided to just ... work with Netflix :)

Derktron

Banned
If everything stuck to the major streaming services they would have to charge prices like the cable packages did.

I think it's time everyone realizes they were duped into the streaming future with promises of cheaper prices that were never realistic or going to happen. Stupid suckers with their $150 cable bills, Netflix will totally let you watch every movie and TV show in existence for $8 a month, that is absolutely a viable business strategy that will never change.
Yeah, it's annoying, everything is some damn streaming service. That is why I stopped caring for TV shows and movies as well.

EDMIX

Curious to see if Sony will do a TV series in partnership with Netflix.
An inFAMOUS limited series would be nice.
Agreed.

I was surprised that HBO got the The Last Of Us contract. Maybe them losing so many contracts to Netflix really made them fight for it or something. I wonder how deep that deal really goes, like will Sony look to use HBO again or is anyone game at this point? lol

So I'd LOVE to see a InFamous series as the universe is pretty open to do a whole lot with it.

Derktron Derktron THANK YOU, shit!!! No one using that fucking thing when they buy a Sony TV folks. The first thing I do when I get a new tv, hook up a game system and done. I just use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and call it a day. The network features on TVs are complete shit and a waste. Sony needs to just let that shit die and move on. To beat Netflix, you have to move SERIOUS money.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Agreed.

I was surprised that HBO got the The Last Of Us contract. Maybe them losing so many contracts to Netflix really made them fight for it or something. I wonder how deep that deal really goes, like will Sony look to use HBO again or is anyone game at this point? lol

So I'd LOVE to see a InFamous series as the universe is pretty open to do a whole lot with it.

Derktron Derktron THANK YOU, shit!!! No one using that fucking thing when they buy a Sony TV folks. The first thing I do when I get a new tv, hook up a game system and done. I just use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and call it a day. The network features on TVs are complete shit and a waste. Sony needs to just let that shit die and move on. To beat Netflix, you have to move SERIOUS money.
I only subscribed to Netflix and Youtube. Anything else I just watch on some free streaming site with VPN and Ad-blocker on. Cause it feels like cable.

kingfish

Agreed.

I honestly think HBO was the best choice to adapt something like The Last of Us.
With all the people attached and hopefully a really good budget I think we are in for a good time.

And I could see Sony and HBO doing more stuff together if The Last of Us is successful.

Imagine like, The Getaway or a Syphon Filter limited series.

And you know what they say...

It's not TV. It's HBO.

Duchess

Cinemas are DEAD though
You know what killed the cinema experience for me? Fuckwits that treat the place like an extension of their living rooms - chatting, playing with their phones, etc. Waiting for the film to become available to rent and watching it at home is preferable for me these days.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You know what killed the cinema experience for me? Fuckwits that treat the place like an extension of their living rooms - chatting, playing with their phones, etc. Waiting for the film to become available to rent and watching it at home is preferable for me these days.
true. Cinemas were long dead before streaming apocalypse on 83" tvs

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Last edited:

ZehDon

When Netflix steps in to buy up someone else's movie - Underground 6 is a good example - its usually because the studio is looking to mitigate loses, and Netflix is happy to help to get big names on their service. Looks like Sony wanted that third-party pay check - so I'm guessing these will land somewhere around "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call" in terms of quality.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony are not in good terms with Disney.
Disney owns almost everything!

Sony is in good terms with Disney/Marvel, WB, and much more. They help those through Sony Imageworks VFX.

Sony Pictures Imageworks is the Academy Award®-winning visual effects and animation unit of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group known for live-action visual effects, dynamic creature and character animation and all-CG animation.

The company, headquartered in Vancouver, B.C., recently completed work on the Warner Bros. feature SUICIDE SQUAD, STORKS for Warner Animation Group, Columbia Pictures’ GHOSTBUSTERS, Disney’s ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE for Columbia Pictures and Rovio Animation, Sony Pictures Animation’s HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2, Marvel Studios’ GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and the Warner Bros. feature EDGE OF TOMORROW. Sony Pictures Imageworks is currently in production on SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE for Sony Pictures Animation, KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE for Fox, Columbia Pictures’ SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, MEG for Warner Bros., PACIFIC RIM: MAELSTROM for Legendary and Warner Animation Group’s SMALLFOOT.

Last edited:
When Netflix steps in to buy up someone else's movie - Underground 6 is a good example - its usually because the studio is looking to mitigate loses, and Netflix is happy to help to get big names on their service. Looks like Sony wanted that third-party pay check - so I'm guessing these will land somewhere around "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call" in terms of quality.
hey this sounds familiar :pie_thinking:

Zeroing

Banned
Sony is in good terms with Disney/Marvel, WB, and much more. The help those through Sony Imageworks VFX.

Sony Pictures Imageworks is the Academy Award®-winning visual effects and animation unit of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group known for live-action visual effects, dynamic creature and character animation and all-CG animation.

The company, headquartered in Vancouver, B.C., recently completed work on the Warner Bros. feature SUICIDE SQUAD, STORKS for Warner Animation Group, Columbia Pictures’ GHOSTBUSTERS, Disney’s ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE for Columbia Pictures and Rovio Animation, Sony Pictures Animation’s HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 2, Marvel Studios’ GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and the Warner Bros. feature EDGE OF TOMORROW. Sony Pictures Imageworks is currently in production on SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE for Sony Pictures Animation, KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE for Fox, Columbia Pictures’ SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, MEG for Warner Bros., PACIFIC RIM: MAELSTROM for Legendary and Warner Animation Group’s SMALLFOOT.

Nah! Disney wanted all the money for the Spider-Man movie and pretend it was Sony pictures fault!
They are just being cordial!

xShaun

The main questions are:

How successful will they be - will they touch top 10 week on Netflix

Would you really want to watch them, or would they be a cringe fest?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nah! Disney wanted all the money for the Spider-Man movie and pretend it was Sony pictures fault!
They are just being cordial!

Yeah Sony really invested big in Spider-man after it was a side dish to Marvel/Disney. Maybe that's why they're investing now in their own successful PlayStation IP's under their new branch PlayStation Productions.

But it's under Sony Interactive Entertainment though, not Sony Pictures, which of course at the end of the day it's mostly Sony Pictures, Sony CineAlta cameras, Sony Music, and all the necessary branches are helping them.

It's been started under the leadership of Shawn Layden:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How do you think that will work when most of the new movies will land exclusively to Netflix?

Much better for Sony. Like you pay me to eat lunch at your home. On a later date it comes to Bravia Core. They should keep it growing slowly or keep it as a complimentary service to Bravia owners as it is. 80Mbps bandwidth is just massive and would 100% under-achieve if the service is open to a larger audience this quickly.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
And what will happen with your purchases when Sony decides to shut it down?
Yeah Sony doesn't exactly have a good record regarding digital stores.

Didn't help they eradicated the ps3 and Vita stores.

onesvenus

Much better for Sony. Like you pay me to eat lunch at your home. On a later date it comes to Bravia Core. They should keep it growing slowly or keep it as a complimentary service to Bravia owners as it is. 80Mbps bandwidth is just massive and would 100% under-achieve if the service is open to a larger audience this quickly.
I wouldn't pay you to eat food that has been in another house for a year 😂

reksveks

Why not at the same time, Warner Bros. is doing it with HBO Max.
I assume that you know that they are under the same company. They are just trying to figure out what makes sense from themselves. Netflix and Sony would be cannibalising each other directly.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's good news for me because I'm a Netflix subscriber but I can't see how that makes sense when they were trying to push their own service

I was referring to your house. Their service is like comparing an infant to a person in his 30's, you need to be realistic. Eventually it'll come to their service, just like The Walking Dead that takes 1 year on HBO then gets to Netflix. It's like why they are still in the smartphone market, because it's just a novelty now for them and waiting for their chance to raise again, but they're at 0.1% only and with such a tiny market share every company would close the division. But they're making money from each smartphone made with their image sensors as they're the biggest image sensor supplier in the world.

image_readmed_2020_149716_15815622744086082.jpg

Also Bravia Core seems to be Sony Pictures library only, so pretty low risk as they're not necessarily making exclusive content for its very tiny install base. Their next move will probably be PS5 and PS4 after their Bravia XR lineup, and most likely their cellphones. It should include Funimation and Crunchyroll eventually, and maybe make it free with ads and only 1080p on tv and 720p on phones and $5-10/month for 4K HDR + no ads.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Afte
I was referring to your house. Their service is like comparing an infant to a person in his 30's, you need to be realistic. Eventually it'll come to their service, just like The Walking Dead that takes 1 year on HBO then gets to Netflix. It's like why they are still in the smartphone market, because it's just a novelty now for them and waiting for their chance to raise again, but they're at 0.1% only and with such a tiny market share every company would close the division. But they're making money from each smartphone made with their image sensors as they're the biggest image sensor supplier in the world.

image_readmed_2020_149716_15815622744086082.jpg

Also Bravia Core seems to be Sony Pictures library only, so pretty low risk as they're not necessarily making exclusive content for its very tiny install base. Their next move will probably be PS5 and PS4 after their Bravia XR lineup, and most likely their cellphones. It should include Funimation and Crunchyroll eventually, and maybe make it free with ads and only 1080p on tv and 720p on phones and $5-10/month for 4K HDR + no ads.
After LG I expect Sony to be one of the next companies to close their smartphone division. Last quarter sales of phones were reduced by a 23% YoY. In fact, all quarters except Q2 saw declines on sales compared to previous years. They are staying quite flat on the revenue side because they've increased the ASP of their smartphones but that's not a sustainable business if sales numbers keep going down.

But anyway, this is completely offtopic.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Afte
After LG I expect Sony to be one of the next companies to close their smartphone division. Last quarter sales of phones were reduced by a 23% YoY. In fact, all quarters except Q2 saw declines on sales compared to previous years. They are staying quite flat on the revenue side because they've increased the ASP of their smartphones but that's not a sustainable business if sales numbers keep going down.

But anyway, this is completely offtopic.

I'll keep buying them until they're closed, been Sony phone user since 2005. Then maybe Galaxy, or any another Android device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom