• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped/sold digitaly from April to June

I mean, I realize they didn't hit that March 31st goal, but being 600K shy of that as of June really doesn't seem that bad to me. But I don't know, maybe it's a some kind of disaster? Everyone keeps telling me it is.

Bruno MB

It didn't need a new shipment because it was very over-shipped, but digital sales were poor too since PS Store + Steam sales were below 100,000 units during the first quarter of the fiscal year.

I don't think Capcom can do too much to turn this train wreck around, once your game has lost all momentum it is almost impossible to get it back.

The only thing they can do is to re-release it as Super Street Fighter V.

Fighting games are dead. Capcom knew this and thats why they didnt want to make a new one until Sony stepped in.

It didnt help that it looks exactly like SFIV which came out nearly 8 years ago. I am pretty sure that kept the casuals away.

Joke post? Evo had it's highest number of entrants ever and most fighting games are doing just fine. Capcom fucked this royally and it's the only reason it's doing so poorly.

Neoxon

I mean, I realize they didn't hit that March 31st goal, but being 600K shy of that as of June really doesn't seem that bad to me. But I don't know, maybe it's a some kind of disaster? Everyone keeps telling me it is.
This mainly means that Capcom overshipped early on. Though as stated earlier, the two likely spikes in sales, the July Update & EVO 2016, both took place after these projections, so we won't know how much either of those helped the game until Capcom's Q2 report.

Fighting games are dead. Capcom knew this and thats why they didnt want to make a new one until Sony stepped in.

It didnt help that it looks exactly like SFIV which came out nearly 8 years ago. I am pretty sure that kept the casuals away.

Mortal Kombat X sold really well. Capcom couldn't make one without Sony because they didn't have the resources freed up at the moment. The game failed because Cpacom botched the launch and had a horrible post-launch (some truly abysmal word of mouth, repeated schedule slips...)

Another problem is Capcom are just pumping out more characters, a short story, and costume DLCs if it's some kind of bandage for instant relief, doubling-down on those already invested, when fundamental game systems like Arcade Mode and VS CPU still aren't there (and will probably never be implemented at this rate), Survival mode is disliked by everyone, daily challenges are MIA, and it took them months to get zenny figured out until they dropped it entirely. This game flat-out was not ready at launch, and even after the so-called saviour of the story mode update, it STILL isn't.

Fighting games aren't dead but in the eyes of the general public, Capcom are going to have to do a lot to prove this game isn't.

It's not the worst ever, but still pretty bad, especially when you consider things like the success of SFIV and Street Fighter's status as the premier fighting game. Becomes even worse when you realize that not all of those 1.4 million units were sold through to consumers and are just sitting there on shelves.

I do regret buying it at launch. I suck at it and have no chance of unlocking characters without paying their eye gouging DLC.

I enjoy UFC 2 better than SFV

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Please be joking....

http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=145

I do regret buying it at launch. I suck at it and have no chance of unlocking characters without paying their eye gouging DLC.

But you get Fight Money just for playing the story bits and watching demonstrations and stuff, which is not skill dependent.

1.4 million since march and that's including digital?

Not good at all, because if I'm reading it right, that 1.4m includes a overshipped retail amount, and on top of that the game sold less than 100k digitally since the last number as well.

Neoxon

It didn't need a new shipment because it was very over-shipped, but digital sales were poor too since PS Store + Steam sales were below 100,000 units during the first quarter of the fiscal year.

I don't think Capcom can do too much to turn this train wreck around, once your game has lost all momentum it is almost impossible to get it back.

The only thing they can do is to re-release it as Super Street Fighter V.
Again, this is completely unnecessary when a Season 1 collection (again, branded as "Street Fighter V: Season 1") can do pretty much the same thing without pissing off your existing userbase. Part of the reason why Capcom ditched doing Super versions is because they split the userbase from being competitive. On top of that, Capcom likely won't have any characters ready until at least next year. Doing SSFV would only make people more weary to buy it since Capcom would have, in the eyes of the average consumer, gone back on their word.

KingBroly

Banned
This mainly means that Capcom overshipped early on. Though as stated earlier, the two likely spikes in sales, the July Update & EVO 2016, both took place after these projections, so we won't know how much either of those helped the game until Capcom's Q2 report.

I can't see those pushing the game near older expectations.

You can get every character for free by finishing all the single player content outside of hard and extreme survival. Don't have to be good to do that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Again, this is completely unnecessary when a Season 1 collection (again, branded as "Street Fighter V: Season 1") can do pretty much the same thing without pissing off your existing userbase. Part of the reason why Capcom ditched doing Super versions is because they split the userbase from being competitive. On top of that, Capcom likely won't have any characters ready until at least next year. Doing SSFV would only make people more weary to buy it since Capcom would have, in the eyes of the average consumer, gone back on their word.

The average consumer doesnt know what the word of capcom is or was.

This is what happens when a multisystem game only releases on 1 of the main systems. The amount of sales lost due to no Xbox is big. Personally, I didn't buy the game because I couldn't play it on Xbox Live.

Neoxon

The average consumer doesnt know what the word of capcom is or was.
But it would still continue the tradition of "I'll wait for Super Ultimate Mega Street Fighter V" amongst casuals if they go down this route. Again, just doing a collection of Season 1's DLC on one disc can achieve the same result as a Super version without pissing off anyone.

farisr

I don't know why people think versus CPU is gonna get a bunch of people to buy it. I doubt story mode did much for the game even though a bunch of people whined that it was delayed for a few months. I really doubt those people came back to buy it later.
Versus cpu and arcade mode at this point definitely won't get many people to give this a second look. It will help get them some goodwill from existing purchasers that feel burned.

Also, a relaunch at the end of the year, or in 2017, Street Fighter V Season 1 or Street Fighter V 2017 edition, that includes all the DLC & modes (including arcade & versus cpu) released up to that point would definitely spur some sales. The game will get re-reviewed, get better scores and be back in the spotlight for the casual fans who had written this game off at launch due to lack of modes & characters compared to past entries.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you can infinitely replay the story for fight money thats not viable after 1-2 dlc characters.
Well yeah, at some point that dries up, but that poster said "no chance of unlocking characters" which simply isn't true.

There's also casual play and easy survival which anyone can do and that gives you further Fight Money. Should be enough for almost every DLC character, even if you suck.

This is what happens when a multisystem game only releases on 1 of the main systems. The amount of sales lost due to no Xbox is big. Personally, I didn't buy the game because I couldn't play it on Xbox Live.

Even if this game was on Xbox the general public still wouldn't want it because it's simply not an appealing product.

entremet

SFV just felt very tepid and the early word of mouth killed its potential.

I really love the game when I get to play it.

Pejo

Shame that the DLC model in this game is pure trash, IMO. Season pass should have included more, and "premium" costumes should be cheaper and/or bundled.

Also, it's bullshit that dailies still aren't in. Hard to sell a game when it's pretty much strictly for the hardcore and tournie players now, and all casuals have left long ago, with no reason to come back after that much hyped and under-delivering story mode.

Neoxon

Versus cpu and arcade mode at this point definitely won't get many people to give this a second look. It will help get them some goodwill from existing purchasers that feel burned.

Also, a relaunch at the end of the year, or in 2017, Street Fighter V Season 1 or Street Fighter V 2017 edition, that includes all the DLC & modes (including arcade & versus cpu) would definitely spur some sales. The game will get re-reviewed, get better scores and be back in the spotlight for the casual fans who had written this game off at launch due to lack of modes & characters compared to past entries.
This guy gets it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, there are three main issues.

The first is that was already a pretty conservative shipment expectation given the performance of Street Fighter IV. They were basically already expecting significant decline entry over entry.

The second is that there could still be hundreds of thousands of copies in the channel that aren't sold.

The third is that Capcom doesn't have a lot of good performing IPs left, so that every one that becomes a poor or low margin performer results in them losing a very significant portion of their healthy, active IP stable.

Fighting games are dead.

According to US NPD, Fighting game sales increased over 12% in 2015 vs 2014. Fighting game sales share also went up a full point.

In fact, Fighting game share of total market is just shy of double what it was in 2013.

So, no. Fighting games are certainly not dead.

Claiming personal thoughts as fact with no factual basis... also very much alive.

I find the sales narrative strange, like its a big flop. 1.4 million sold as of March 31st six weeks on sale. I know the target of 2m.

When Aaron Greenberg tweets in Jan after Christmas sales that ROTTR sold over a million I see many on here say that's not bad actually, better than I thought after the bomba sales threads. I've heard the pro Xbox people bring up Aaron's tweet as proof all the doom and gloom in November was wrong and it's actually sold well. This is Tomb Raider, the big budget and genre vs a bare bones fighting game that's had its peak in the late 2000s. The other SF games after IV are sub 2 million during PS33/360 peak sales years.

There is pretty much zero to suggest that a Xbox one version would of moved the needle. Especially as pretty much every Japanese fighting game is PS4 exclusive. If you are a serious fighting game fan, you own a PS4. Simple as that.

I find the sales narrative strange, like its a big flop. 1.4 million sold as of March 31st six weeks on sale. I know the target of 2m.

When Aaron Greenberg tweets in Jan after Christmas sales that ROTTR sold over a million I see many on here say that's not bad actually, better than I thought after the sales threads. I've heard the pro Xbox people bring up Aaron's tweet as proof all the doom and gloom in November was wrong and it's actually sold well. This is Tomb Raider, the big budget and genre vs a bare bones fighting game that's had its peak in the late 2000s. The other SF games after IV are sub 2 million during PS33/360 peak sales years.

Nirolak pretty much nailed why the sales aren't good just two posts above you.

Even then, "1.4 million, missing projections by over a quarter with only 100k of that being shipped after the launch quarter, isn't that bad" is some pretty bad goalpost-pushing.

emag

And go back and play SFIV, even on Ultra settings it looks and animates terribly in comparison to SFV.

60 FPS backgrounds. Clean, clear, readable graphics. Straightforward -- not overly weighty -- animation.

I'd trade the more detailed character models of V for those SFIV benefits any day of the week.

Max_Po

Banned
They need to puker up and change strategy.....

Even though they stated before... they need to rethink and polish up the package and follow the success of SF4.

Release Super Street Fighter with DLC and modes for 40 next year....

see how that goes... and community response....

if it still does not #RiseUp its time to #Abandon

There was a sales boost on Steam after EVO, so maybe. Plus there's the Story Update that Capcom hyped up.

But Capcom's Evo stream told me that the PS4 was the only REAL place to play SFV? LOL. I get that they made a deal with Sony but I found how much they played down the PC version to be really funny. Honestly, I think Capcom would genuinely prefer that people play on PS4 as many PC players are making Capcom lives hell because based on videos and screenshots I've seen many PC players playing as Juri and Urien since the story mode came out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
According to US NPD, Fighting game sales increased over 12% in 2015 vs 2014. Fighting game sales share also went up a full point.

In fact, Fighting game share of total market is just shy of double what it was in 2013.

So, no. Fighting games are certainly not dead.

Claiming personal thoughts as fact with no factual basis... also very much alive.

I'm also expecting a continuing healthy surge (...perhaps only on PC) when Riot gets out their rather obvious League of Legends fighter from Radiant Games. Should introduce a *lot* of people to the genre in an accessible way (both in terms of business model and controls).

Or, just in 2017, we have Injustice 2 and Tekken 7, along with a potential NX port of Smash, which should make for a pretty good year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
60 FPS backgrounds. Clean, clear, readable graphics. Straightforward -- not overly weighty -- animation.

I'd trade the more detailed character models of V for those SFIV benefits any day of the week.
Street Fighter V's graphics aren't "readable"? What does that mean?

Top Bottom