• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated Souls likes

I've been playing Elden ring in prep for the DLC. Ive played Lies of P and lords of the fallen, but I'm sure there are some good games on steam that are underrated. Give me something to play in the meantime. (Playing dark souls archthrones in the meantime for reference).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally dont like to play "souls-like" back to back...I feel like I would get burn out.....This why I only play FROM's actual Souls game.

Why not play games like Armored Core VI, it not "Souls-like" but it one of FROM's super fun game.

Astral Dog

No Souls like but why not try something like Astral Chain, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, or Hades

i didn't liked Ni Oh much but they say its one of the better copies, FF Stranger of Paradise is kind of good, i was surprised with the combat there are plenty of fun play styles

Last edited:

dreamstation

Gold Member
Not sure how "souls like" you mean but I recommend playing:
- Blasphemous
- Hellpoint
- Remnant 1 and 2
- The Surge 1 and 2
- Salt & Sanctuary and Sacrifice

I wouldn't call most of them underrated though but worth playing if you haven't.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve heard Another Crab’s Treasure is surprisingly good, but I haven’t tried it myself.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thymesia.
Try the new Italian souls Enotria demo.
This one was great, kinda overtune in the last boss but great overall.

I also really liked Mortal Shell, this one has kinda mixed opinions tho, but I personally felt it was great, the fact that it's Dark Souls lite, without any build or something was cool so you just had to worry about combat.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
I personally dont like to play "souls-like" back to back...I feel like I would get burn out.....This why I only play FROM's actual Souls game.

Why not play games like Armored Core VI, it not "Souls-like" but it one of FROM's super fun game.

You didn't like that weebo Code Vein.

I'll be damned.

I usually only like the From Software Soulslikes. However, Code Vein is the only non-From Soulslike that I actually liked. They got me with the boobs and it turned out the game attached to the boobs was solid as well.
Patiently waiting for Code Vein 2…

luluwpp.gif

Edit: Also Danjin44 Danjin44 why did you come into the thread just to promote From games again 😂

This was the one thread where I was hoping to read a slightly different response from you.

Last edited:

Roberts

Steelrising. It shares tons of similarities (story, visual aesthetics) with Lies of P. It is nowhere as good or polished but a pretty fun addition to the genre.

I liked Thymesia and Surge games. Blasphemous is a classic.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Darksiders 3?

I think it started out with combat like that but in a patch they give you the option of Souls-like combat or the standard type of Darksiders combat.

Either way it's a great game and a great series and in my opinion, underrated.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
After Nioh 2 there really isn't much reason to play other Soul Clones. Stranger of Paradise is good too but it's made by same people as Nioh so...

Probably my favorite in terms of methodical combat is always going to be Severance Blade of Darkness. The combat is so good.

digdug2

Not sure how "souls like" you mean but I recommend playing:
- Blasphemous
- Hellpoint
- Remnant 1 and 2
- The Surge 1 and 2
- Salt & Sanctuary and Sacrifice

I wouldn't call most of them underrated though but worth playing if you haven't.
The Surge 2 was actually a lot of fun. I didn't much care for the original, I guess it was too rough around the edges. Though I was very happy that I could turn off the "I was borrrrnnn in a prrrisssonnn" song that popped up quite frequently.

Blasphemous is a fun game and a good mix of Souls and Metroidvania. I'd say the same for the Salt & games.

I tried Remnant 1 & 2 and they didn't do it for me. They both just felt like cheap Souls knockoffs with guns.

I'll have to check out Hellpoint, it sounds interesting.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Salt and Sanctuary is the obvious answer in the indie scene.

Code Vein is very enjoyable and with a deeper gameplay than it seems at first glance. Great bosses and customization. And boobs.

I wouldn't count Blasphemous, since it's more Metroidvania than "Souls" despite sharing some of the NDA. Amazing games, anyway.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Unfortunately Synduality is solely a PvP game and it makes me worry greatly if that game bombs.
Yeah once they revealed it was PvP centric all my interest immediately flatlined.

------------

One more recommend from me is Ghost Song. Has Soulslike elements but is primarily a atmospheric Metroidvania.

Hot Take: Dark Souls 2

Very true. DS1 is great but I think DS2 improves on it in almost every way. The only ways it's NOT:

- World design is less interconnected.
- The agility stat sucks.
- Some of the fights (mainly gank squads, and the runback to the last boss of the DLC) are just bullshit.

But the lore, the multiplayer, the gameplay itself, and the levels themselves are all excellent.

Yeah once they revealed it was PvP centric all my interest immediately flatlined.
It’s a shame too because it actually looks like a unique world and setting with mechs.

Also the way the mechs are designed reminds me of the PS1 Tron Bonne game and the PS1 Ghost in the Shell game.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Salt and Sanctuary is the obvious answer in the indie scene.

Code Vein is very enjoyable and with a deeper gameplay than it seems at first glance. Great bosses and customization. And boobs.

I wouldn't count Blasphemous, since it's more Metroidvania than "Souls" despite sharing some of the NDA. Amazing games, anyway.
I played salt & sanctuary and it was very odd. Maybe because they didn't playtest it?

Aion002

That depends, if you want Souls like combat: Nioh (1 and 2) and Wo Long are perfect.

If you want exploration and similar level design: The Surge 1 and 2.

If you don't mind shooting stuff and randomly generated levels: Remnant 1 and 2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ashen is a good game. NiOh 2 is excellent. Ashen is playable on Gamepass. Edit: it left Gamepass.

NiOh 2 for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom