• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Understanding Demon's Souls Lore

cormack12

Gold Member
I've decided to fire up the PS3 again this week and I had a save file for Demon's Souls I started way back when. So I've just picked it up again, and am going to try and finish it. I'm curious how people piece the lore together, it's not exactly spelled out in these games. I don't just want to watch a video on youtube, I'd kind of like to see if there's one rigid thread tying it altogether, or whether there is rich interpretation as well. In short, I'd like to be interactive as I go through the game, rather than passive.

So from the intro and blurb and various snippets I've read on GAF the past couple of years, and with my own speculation this is what I have so far.....:

King Allant made his kingdom (Boletaria) prosperous with the use of souls (unsure how, not really explained, maybe he was dealing the Maiden in Black?). After some time, a mist settled over the Kingdom and cut it off from the outside world. This was because The Old One (TOO) had been awakened by Allant and was angry I guess? Speculation would lead me to believe TOO became aware of a void of souls (maybe the souls after death went straight to TOO and what Allant was doing was drying the well).

A number of demons were unleashed in Boletaria and harvested the souls of all the living citizens. Leaving them (citizens) in the state we find them in the game - bit confused at the moment as it sounds like it just turns them into madmen or hollows, but there are like skeletons enemies and flying stingrays etc. and dragons are mentioned too. Not sure if these are just minions of the damned?

A knight broke free of the mist and spread the fate of the kingdom which became a legend for other foolish/brave heroes to chase. A lot of people are mentioned here that also appear on loading screens, I guess some of these might be NPC's at some point. And this is where we, the player, come in.

So I'm not far in, I've defeated Phalanx and the Spider. I'm not sure if the places that exist now are what they used to be or just what they are. For example:

Shrine of Storms
The island shrine of the shadowmen.

They worship storms & mourn the dead.

Where the "Storm Beasts" fly above and souls of the dead inhabit empty skeletons and move about freely.

Shadowmen? Where are they mentioned, how do I find out more about them? Surely these flying things didn't exist before the scourge came? As opposed to:

Tower of Latria
Latria, the land of the ivory tower realized by the Queen.

An old man killed the queen & locked her family in a jail with an inhuman guard, where only screams are heard.

Which seems much more straightforward, and of historic significance to the kingdom??

In the nexus I have some NPC's. Obviously the Maiden in Black - who is part demon I assume ('Touch the demon in me) - and seems benevolent, or at least open to acquiring souls through trade rather than murder or harvesting. Stockpile Thomas who seems to either have taken refuge or been kept in limbo since abandoning his family. There's the Monumental who wants us to lull TOO back into a deep sleep. A blacksmith - honestly can't remember how he got there. A woman that also sells me spells in return for souls and a guy who sells me miracles.

So, at the moment I'm in this line of thinking that makes me think we're kind of in a lesser of two evils scenario. These demons/part demons in the nexus will take payment of souls (harvested by humans), in return for prosperity, power or 'magic'. Other demons wake periodically, or are awakened by certain events and harvest souls by force and plague. This inflates their souls to immeasurable power and potency, which the player then has a choice to either spend back in the Nexus (trade in for greed, power etc.) or - speculation the player can ingest the souls, become more powerful and destroy the Nexus which is kind of a fragile veil between the worlds, assuming it is not imperative to exist?? It's like the humans are stuck between two sets of demons that just want souls, ultimately doomed by the passage of time with no way to break the circle.

So I'm still early game, but I'm hoping there will be speculation and bits and pieces I can follow as I play from this thread. I'm not overly fussed about spoilers, it's years old now - I'm just trying to get some structure and chronology to the lore/narrative. I'm sure there are some really well versed people on here about this stuff.

I'm off to bed now but will follow this with interest - if anyone replies!!!

cj_iwakura

A lot of your questions will get answered as you finish the worlds, but you'll get just as many new ones. Can't really comment until you've cleared more areas.

Zophar

Demon's Souls lore is still really excellent. Though Dark/Demon's have been distinct lore-wise, it's my secret dream that they unify the two universes by (Dark Souls spoilers)
putting Demon's Souls far far far into the future timeline, well into an Age of Dark

Mman235

One of the big twists about the lore is on the Talisman of Beasts which reveals that (you shouldn't read this until you've finished the game):
The Old One and "God" are the same entity, so both the Priests and Mages actually draw their power from the same source.

PirateKing

Demon's Souls lore is still really excellent. Though Dark/Demon's have been distinct lore-wise, it's my secret dream that they unify the two universes by (Dark Souls spoilers)
putting Demon's Souls far far far into the future timeline, well into an Age of Dark

It would make more sense if Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are properly connected instead of Dark Souls.

Are there any good video series or something I could watch that go over the Dark Souls lore? I'm really interested in it even though I'm not really in to the games.

Prelude.

Are there any good video series or something I could watch that go over the Dark Souls lore? I'm really interested in it even though I'm not really in to the games.
If you have a lot of time you can watch Epic Name Bro's "From the Dark" series which is a complete playthrough/lore exposition of Dark Souls.

Foffy

Banned

I see it, assuming much of From's dark fantasy games exist in one universe - my headcanon includes the Soulsborne games and the King's Field games - that Demon's events are just a kind of standalone evil spook, while Dark Souls' efforts are curses that end up plaguing more and more of the world.

One of the things I liked about Demon's is its lore is simple to get when compared to Dark.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
One of the big twists about the lore is on the Talisman of Beasts which reveals that (you shouldn't read this until you've finished the game):
The Old One and "God" are the same entity, so both the Priests and Mages actually draw their power from the same source.

I never read that bit of text. That's a pretty huge and interesting twist.

JerkShep

There's a lot of info here, not sure how reliable though given that it is fan made:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/62697

There is a lot of good stuff in there, I skimmed through it after finishing the game years ago and it was a very interesting read. I've not seen many good videos about Demons Souls Lore unfortunately. Usually Vaaty's videos are good for Souls game, even if they can sound a bit fanfictiony at times, but I remember the Demon ones being actually...not that good and a bit confusing. I would love to write something comprehensive about Demons Souls, the lore is fantastic.

For OP, you'll have most of the answers by the end of it. There are some high concepts that are left vague on purpose though.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
On my most recent playthrough I noticed that the merchant in the Valley of Defilement mentions the Virgin Mary. I thought that was interesting, as I've never encountered anything else in Demon's Souls that would imply a shared history with the real world.

Sushi Nao

Places like Latria and Shrine of Storms aren't in Boletaria, they're just other places that were entrusted with an Archstone. They've all had their own things go very wrong in them over time, which are then exacerbated by Allant's treachery.

Shrine of Storms' monsters exist because of the power of the rituals that the priests used to conduct there; in conjunction with the demon scourge, they 'believed' the creatures into existence after their deaths.

Top Bottom