• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta announced - It's Uncharted but in Arabic

Verendus

Banned
Game looks shit, to be blunt. I came in this thread because I misread the title.

I am not amused.

Discotheque said:
fuuuuuuck Elena. I feel obligated to say that in every Uncharted thread whenever she's mentioned. Annoying, whiny, annoying voice etc. She's like the digital world's jennifer aniston.

Team Chloe. Way better in every aspect (especially voice)
Yes, she is!

Chloe > Elena. I know this is hard for some, but deep inside, they know it to be true also.

And:
ymmv said:
What a cliche. The first Arab game and yes, there's a female character with a headscarf. I wonder if Arab games will be suffer from the Namco effect in reverse: in each new game the female characters will be swathed in more and more clothes and veils.
ymmv said:
Why not show strong Arab female characters without a headscarf? Real role-models for a young generation instead of a pious muslim girl in a headscarf so traditional/orthodox/fundamentalist muslim men won't be offended?
ymmv said:
Women don't wear headscarves as a fashion statement, but because they think their religion tells them to, or because they'd get into trouble with their orthodox parents, family members or community who'll otherwise give them grief because of course, any girl who doesn't wear a headscarf is obviously a whore. Fundies are wack, but religion can also poison otherwise nice, moderate people.
This kind of idiocy astounds me.

Maybe I should introduce you to this pretty big group of about one billion people, unrelated to arabs or Islam, who tend to wear scarves due to cultural reasons rather than religious ones. Today, many of their celebrities wear the headscarf as a fashion item. It's a natural evolution for them and culturally important. They won't be letting go of it anytime soon. They are very proud people after all.

You even managed to get wrong the things you're trying to argue against.

For one, the character you're commenting on would be looked down upon by those traditional/orthodox folks because her entire attire wouldn't fit with their view of how a woman should dress. The scarf in this case would be the least of their criticisms. She's a fashionable arab character, wearing a gold scarf, exposing her entire face, long pants clearly showing the separate legs, and is on an adventure with a group of men.

You really think the developers of this game gave her a fucking headscarf because they didn't want to offend the fundamental religious people? I guess the more glaring problems won't matter to those people as long she's covering her hair...

Would you like it if she was to be dressed in a skirt, dye her hair red, and wear a tank top?

That is your modernised arab woman. She doesn't have to be a replica of Lara Croft to be portrayed as a strong role model.

I honestly hate it when people try to make arguments about real issues but don't have a clue about what they're talking about.

Lesiroth

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is there any anti-jewish messages in there? If so, we could see yet another videogame fight in the courts.
The fuck? I mean really, what the fuck does this have to do with the game in question at all?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, seriously, as someone who hasn't played Uncharted, but from the various media didn't think it looked particularly original (third person cover based shooter with some stealth and tomb raiding thrown in?), why exactly is this called a clone of it and not, well, a third person cover based shooter with some tomb raiding thrown in? By tomb raiding I mean the style of game, not actual tomb raiding, though that probably happens too given the themes. Having three friendly characters, a young man, young woman (romance potential, ho!) and older wiser guy to aid them, is hardly an intended Uncharted copycat move, it's quite the cliche in many stories. What makes this *too* similar?

And what's with all the bashing? Clearly it's waaaay too early for an actual release given some of the glaring issues that show it's still very much in testing outside some seemingly finished environments and other art assets, but I think it shows promise, as a downloadable title at least, if they get to actually finish it and polish it up enough to be more presentable. Clearly I wouldn't give it a second look if it released with those animations and wonky shooting but I imagine they hope and intend to fix all that up so they hopefully will do that. Have you guys never seen early or testing versions of any video games before? That some are sold at an "alpha" or "beta" or whatever state and are actually pretty good doesn't mean that there are no other, earlier, messier states that they all go through before they're good enough to sell.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Alextended said:
So, seriously, as someone who hasn't played Uncharted, but from the various media didn't think it looked particularly original (third person cover based shooter with some stealth and tomb raiding thrown in?), why exactly is this called a clone of it and not, well, a third person cover based shooter with some tomb raiding thrown in? By tomb raiding I mean the style of game, not actual tomb raiding, though that probably happens too given the themes. Having three friendly characters, a young man, young woman (romance potential, ho!) and older wiser guy to aid them, is hardly an intended Uncharted copycat move, it's quite the cliche in many stories. What makes this *too* similar?

And what's with all the bashing? Clearly it's waaaay too early for an actual release given some of the glaring issues that show it's still very much in testing outside some seemingly finished environments and other art assets, but I think it shows promise, as a downloadable title at least, if they get to actually finish it and polish it up enough to be more presentable. Clearly I wouldn't give it a second look if it released with those animations and wonky shooting but I imagine they hope and intend to fix all that up so they hopefully will do that. Have you guys never seen early or testing versions of any video games before? That some are sold at an "alpha" or "beta" or whatever state and are actually pretty good doesn't mean that there are no other, earlier, messier states that they all go through before they're good enough to sell.
You have to admit that the comparison isn't exactly like Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

The title, the characters, the gameplay, the searching. Yes is has been done in many more games. But seriously, this just looks way too much like the other one.

Raonak

Banned
Want to support these devs, nice to see games comming from places other than US/UK/JPN...

but It's a shameless clone :(

ASIS

Raonak said:
Want to support these devs, nice to see games comming from places other than US/UK/JPN...

but It's a shameless clone :(
Remember how Uncharted was called a shameless clone as well?

Those were the days..

Glasswork

Wow, the stupidity about the headscarf in this thread is just astounding.

Even if Islam would disappear tomorrow, the hijab is still part of our heritage and women don't just wear it because Allah told them to, they wear it because it's a proud symbol of Arabic (and many, many other cultures) culture.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't women out there that are being forced to wear it but idiots who think they have Allahs permission, that shit happens and it's not the hijab that's broken, it's the idiots.

Besides, as another poster mentioned, if they wanted to keep the extremists from yelling she would have been clad in a black niqab and abaya, that's how they think women should dress, not in a blouse and pants.

Game looks terrible though, will buy just to help any studio in this region grow.

eXistor

Megabump, not sure if it warranted a new thread, so I'll just put it here:

A new trailer has just been released. As derpy as the game looks, it does have some potential, it looks like at least some areas are fairly wide-open, driving a car and all. I might give this a shot actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dOhmPe_3U

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Wait a minute, Are the releasing it on every platform?
Template_r6_c2.jpg

no way sony is green lighting this

Radius

Megabump, not sure if it warranted a new thread, so I'll just put it here:

A new trailer has just been released. As derpy as the game looks, it does have some potential, it looks like at least some areas are fairly wide-open, driving a car and all. I might give this a shot actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9dOhmPe_3U

As promising as the concept sounds, I'm afraid the potential is the only selling point of this game, 'cause graphics, animations, voice overs and originality certainly aren't. Tomb Raider and Uncharted fill this gap pretty well, I'd rather have a plain old adventure game á la Broken Sword in this style.

Whompa

GOTY.

Joking aside, this looks like garbage. Why anyone would give this game a chance is beyond me. Just because it's a small foreign dev team doesn't make it any less excusable. It's just another half baked imitation of something else.

Half the thread is people shitting on the game because its not a AAA title with a billion dollar budget, being made by a country not known for making games. They fire off one-sentence responses and feel pretty glib that they've "put a garbage dev in their place."

The other half is guys speaking for women on how "oppressed" they are, and the inclusion of a hijab means the devs are all cave-dwelling terrorists fantasizing about destroying the allies of Zion.

Kinda sad that people can't look past either of those aspects and just celebrate a country trying out a new venture (unoriginal as it may seem)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Half the thread is people shitting on the game because its not a AAA title with a billion dollar budget, being made by a country not known for making games. They fire off one-sentence responses and feel pretty glib that they've "put a garbage dev in their place."

The other half is guys speaking for women on how "oppressed" they are, and the inclusion of a hijab means the devs are all cave-dwelling terrorists fantasizing about destroying the allies of Zion.

Kinda sad that people can't look past either of those aspects and just celebrate a country trying out a new venture (unoriginal as it may seem)

The funny thing about this claim is I've made two posts in this thread:

1) Noting that despite the obvious inspiration, a part of me wants to support a dev in a growing multimedia region.
and 2) That I think it's nice to see a female in a hijab, because I like hijabs.

I must be the 2%!

BosSin

It's a good effort for Arab developers, given that this is one of the only titles I've heard of that is coming from Saudi Arabia

Barring 2%ers like EatChildren, this is a pretty good summary of what's going on here. I wish they didn't rip Uncharted as well and made something original, but if this gets the wheel rolling in the dev community in that part of the world, then be it. More games = more happy gamers. It's not like we don't have blatant ripoffs in our continent by prominent developers.

BosSin

I will support this, there needs to be a more diverse community of game developers.

Edit: instead of just Europe, America and Japan. (not counting weird f2p/MMO Korean games)

EdgeXL

Wow, I think I saw more fluid character animations in Star Wars: KOTOR.

I do want to play this game though so I'll buy it just like I bought Shadow Guardian.

The funny thing about this claim is I've made two posts in this thread:

1) Noting that despite the obvious inspiration, a part of me wants to support a dev in a growing multimedia region.
and 2) That I think it's nice to see a female in a hijab, because I like hijabs.

I must be the 2%!

Hijabs are fucking sexy.

Mista Koo

I am torn, part of me wants to support this because I am Arabian, but the other part doesn’t want to support blatant rip offs :(
This (I'm even Saudi).

I met the developers once, but shyed away from mentioning the ripoff. IIRC they are a spin off from a software company.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wow, the animation is so so bad. Clearly not motion capture, haha.

g5j9.gif

I've been thinking of this gif plus the "looks like he shit his pants" post all day. Was driving during lunch break and I started laughing uncontrollably. Tears came out and so did my right contact which is now torn. Also got a massage tonight and I was making a dumb face because this gif was in my mind. This gif is ruining my day.

Top Bottom