• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord – eight minutes of gameplay | A look at the PlayStation 5 version in action

Famitsu has published a gameplay video of Vanillaware-developed strategy RPG Unicorn Overlord, showcasing eight minutes of the PlayStation 5 version in action.

The video description reads: “This ultra-royalistic adventure tale of gathering friends and confronting a great evil is depicted with Vanillaware’s unique high-definition graphics and characters, highly flexible field exploration, and innovative simulation battles. While reminiscent of the classic simulation RPGs of the 1990s, the game incorporates modern elements such as a unique battle system and online battles.”
Unicorn Overlord is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, and Switch on March 8, 2024 worldwide.

HOOOOOOOOLLY FUCK! This game is just looks gorgeous! I also really digging the gameplay, this game is made for me.

Last edited:

Labadal

Yeah, that's still a day one for me.
kermit-jerking-off.gif

Pejo

I mean it's Vanillaware, so I'm gonna buy it, but I hope they include a x2 speed for the battles instead of just skipping them altogether (outside of story stuff).

Art is gorgeous as always. I really like the idea of predicting pathing and choke points to force encounters and stuff. Cool ideas. It'll be neat if you can do stuff like bait enemy units and then retreat/flank them.

Still wish it was a more direct input type combat, but you can't have everything I suppose.

Kusarigama

Artstyle is just (as usual) gorgeous. But I don't understand why the screen cuts from player side to enemy side when we are attacking and so on? That is a bit jarring for me. They could have just zoomed in and out with both parties showing on same screen.

We'll see when it comes out. Btw when is it coming out?

Lunarorbit

I mean it's Vanillaware, so I'm gonna buy it, but I hope they include a x2 speed for the battles instead of just skipping them altogether (outside of story stuff).

Art is gorgeous as always. I really like the idea of predicting pathing and choke points to force encounters and stuff. Cool ideas. It'll be neat if you can do stuff like bait enemy units and then retreat/flank them.

Still wish it was a more direct input type combat, but you can't have everything I suppose.
In the video it looks like some of the fights are really sped up so it seems like you can fast forward in battles

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In the video it looks like some of the fights are really sped up so it seems like you can fast forward in battles
It great for people who wants it but I personally never going to skip or speed up battle animations, I never did it in Fire Emblem games and especially wont do it here, when looking this gorgeous its fucking crime against HUMANITY to skip it…..but thats just me.

Last edited:

DonF

Vanillaware's game always look great but, to me, animate very stiffly.

You can see they animate with a system that depends on joints, im not expert on the subject, but to me its uncanny.

its like they animate paper cutouts, and it makes sense, they draw their characters flawlessly.

halloween%20paper%20puppets.jpg

Thought thread title said Unicron, and I got all hyped for a Unicron origin story game.

This looks decent, but I'd rather have a Dragon's Crown follow up.

Top Bottom