• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Unite the Right' organizer indicted for perjury!

Link: http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Kessler-indicted-for-perjury-449275073.html
Jason Kessler, the organizer of the Unite the Right rally, has been indicted by an Albemarle County grand jury on a felony perjury charge. According to court records, the charge stems from a sworn statement he made in January.

Court records show that he gave a statement to a magistrate claiming that he was assaulted by James Taylor on the Downtown Mall on Jan. 22 while trying to gather signatures for his petition to get Wes Bellamy removed from the Charlottesville City Council.

Taylor said when he refused to sign the petition, Kessler punched him and Kessler was charged with assault.

On Jan. 23, Kessler swore out an assault complaint against Taylor, writing that Taylor "grabbed the petition and my arm, violently shaking to separate the two."

Kessler claimed Taylor screamed an obscenity while "making contact with his face to mine."

However, prosecutors said video of the altercation showed Kessler's version of the story wasn't true.

The assault charge against Taylor was dismissed and Kessler pleaded guilty to an assault charge in April. He was sentenced to 50 hours of community service.

The perjury charge is a class 5 felony and carries a possible sentence of one to ten years in prison and up to a $2,500 fine.

All that needs to be said: Bwahahahaha!

Bumping this for good news, dunk on this oaf who ran away when he tried to have a conference after the goddamn protests

Dyle

Well, bye

The recent This American Life segment on this dude was really insightful, he's got this crazy, unexplainable hatred for the Charlottesville vice-mayor who is apparently the source of everything wrong with the city. It always seemed clear that he was a lying idiot, glad to see that it will have legal consequences for him

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Do some bullshit under the guise of frozen peaches, whine that you're being oppressed, try to paint the other side as violent. Fascists gonna do what fascists gonna do.

32ac145.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
At least 5 years hopefully.

13303763_G.jpg

Here's a picture of the Charlottesville Vice Mayor that this guy has it out for. I wonder what his problem with him is?

Hmmm...

_Ryo_

This is great news!

Unfortunately I can't help but be sort of cynical that since it's federal charges, Trump would try to pardon this waste of space.

I'm hoping for a strict sentence. Make an example of this fucker.

cameron

Legal analyst Scott Goodman says perjury charges are rare.

"It's very hard to prove perjury," he said. "Nowadays, the only cases that can hold up in court and prove perjury is where there is video evidence."

And he pointed out that a felony conviction is punished by more than just prison time or a fine. It strips voting and other rights.

"It [would take] away his right to own a firearm and that is something that most people these days don't want to lose, the right to be able to bear arms," said Goodman.

Neither Kessler nor Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney Robert Tracci responded to a request for comment.
Bit from WaPo: Jason Kessler, Charlottesville protest organizer, indicted on a charge of perjury
Kessler alleged that on Jan. 22, James Justin Taylor attacked him on the outdoor mall while he was collecting signatures to remove the city’s vice-mayor from office. Kessler swore out an assault complaint, claiming Taylor grabbed him and violently shook his arm, according to the local station WCAV.

But surveillance video later showed that Kessler was the aggressor, as the Daily Progress reported. In April, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault, admitting that he had punched Taylor in the face. Kessler received a 30-day suspended sentence and was ordered to perform 50 hours of community service. Taylor was cleared of any wrongdoing.

“I’ll admit that what I did was not legal,” Kessler told the Daily Progress after entering his guilty plea. “I was having a bad day. I’ve never done anything like this before and it will never happen again.”
zY3x9VC.gif

Though, I assume he'll accept a plea bargain again for a light sentence.

Top Bottom