• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios Japan head says Mario attractions (and more) will best Harry Potter

1. Nintendo land is going to cost more in japan, becuase the R&D was already done for Harry Potter land in orlando first.

2. If the Pokemon Company doesn't end being jackasses already and let them do thing in the park, and do pokemon go things there, they are fucking missing a big opportunity.

3. Still not happy with the emphasis put into Mario (a Mario Kart ride) and DK (a mine train), those were the ones most confirmed from people working at Universal. Hope the thing about not only Mario means REALLY that, lots of other IPs in some form (that is not only merchandise), and then a good expansion when they see it works. Not putting a venue for Callie and Marie, for example, would be another huge missed opportunity.

Glad The Xtortionist is already clearing some things in the thread.

Sounds like this'll be limited to Universal Japan. (-_-)

Its confirmed first Japan, and shortly after going to Orlando. Los Angeles has nothing said yet.

Yeah, but it's a lot faster to construct mostly unthemed warehouses.

I quite like Universal, but they certainly halfass some things at times.

Where have you been in the last 7 years of theme park developments? Disney is doing and amazingly crappy job at the moment (if you dont count Shangai) while Universal is hitting it off the park with each new land since Harry Potter. And no, it isnt becuase Universal is doing warehouses so they are faster, is only that Dinsey has become super slow with some horrible ideas that take too much time down the pipeline (who ever thought avatar land was a good idea should be sacked) and Universal superfast.
And I say this being a Disney fan through and through.

3. Still not happy with the emphasis put into Mario (a Mario Kart ride) and DK (a mine train), those were the ones most confirmed from people working at Universal. Hope the thing about not only Mario means REALLY that, lots of other IPs in some form (that is not only merchandise), and then a good expansion when they see it works. Not putting a venue for Callie and Marie, for example, would be another huge missed opportunity.

Its confirmed first Japan, and shortly after going to Orlando. Los Angeles has nothing said yet.

Where was it said Nintendo was coming to Japan first? All I heard was that it will be built there in time for the Olympics.

About the IPs: Yeah, phase 1 will probably be Mario & Friends (Yoshi and DK are rumored to compliment the often-hinted at Mario Kart headliner). But don't forget that Universal just bought 475 acres of land in Orlando, so a third park there is an inevitability. And I'm certain we'll see a lot more Nintendo in that park.

Neiteio

Where was it said Nintendo was coming to Japan first? All I heard was that it will be built there in time for the Olympics.

About the IPs: Yeah, phase 1 will probably be Mario & Friends (Yoshi and DK are rumored to compliment the often-hinted at Mario Kart headliner). But don't forget that Universal just bought 475 acres of land in Orlando, so a third park there is an inevitability. And I'm certain we'll see a lot more Nintendo in that park.
Hoping for a BotW-themed Zelda attraction.

You walk into a field and a rock monster one-shots you while an Adjudicator-esque theme plays.

Turns out the fine print when you buy a ticket says you can't sue!

Read someowhere it was at the same time or some time after, but not much in between.
And I really hope Universal Orlando makes Nintendo in the third gate, instead of transforming the kids land at the studios into it, because that was what the latest rumours said.
I dont like them separating Nintendo into two parks instead of using a big area for maximum potential. And I dont think the train trick is going to work again with Nintendo when its already used for Harry Potter lol.

The only thing we really know the public that is set in stone, and not rumours (although some may be true) is the zone that Universal Japan takes for Nintendo land, and its a little smaller than Harry Potter land at Japan.
otsdhkm6pocystdgooto.PNG

Read someowhere it was at the same time or some time after, but not much in between.
And I really hope Universal Orlando makes Nintendo in the third gate, instead of transforming the kids land at the studios into it, because that was what the latest rumours said.
I dont like them separating Nintendo into two parks instead of using a big area for maximum potential. And I dont think the train trick is going to work again with Nintendo when its already used for Harry Potter lol.

I guess the difference is that both Harry Potter lands are part of the same IP and world, while the Nintendo stuff isn't. The Mushroom Kingdom doesn't need to connect to Hyrule, for example, so I wouldn't really have a problems if different IP lands are separated. Splitting a single IP like Mario between parks would be something I'd oppose, though that doesn't seem to be the plan.

Wait, was it already confirmed there's going to be a DK mine cart coaster?

Naturally I'd like other IP's being represented but that'd be baller.

Fat Goron

Train?

We have something much more appropriate that could actually make sense thematically.

gwAbUjY.jpg

Shang

I was just at Universal, and I suddenly got a vivid vision of what a Mario ride could be like. Imagine a tour through Peach's castle, your cart touring through different themed worlds, perhaps using the painting. The ride goes up those "endless" stairs from Mario 64 and ends with a confrontation with Bowser, maybe with one medium-sized drop, somewhat similar to the T-Rex encounter in Jurassic Park.

Other stuff I'd love to see is a PokeCenter themed shop (perhaps with a special Pokestop if the game still has legs), a Splatoon shooting gallery, and something GRAND for Zelda.

Top Bottom