• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnivNintendo: Monster Hunter 6 is coming out for the Nintendo Switch 2

Didn't Capcom recently say PC is there main platform going forward? I am going to assume that PS5, Xbox Series X/S , Switch 2 and PC will all be day 1 releases with crossplay.

Players have been begging for crossplay and cross save forever now for Monster Hunter. Wild Hearts had it day 1 so I don't see how Capcom wouldn't have that at release at MH6. I believe they acknowledged it.

I just hope the rumors of Switch 2 being close to PS5/Series X with DLSS are release. I don't want next mainline game to suffer. MHW was amazing because it pushed the boundaries and evolutonized the franchise. It needs to do it again.

Gojiira

Not my fault. Remember 'we believe in generations'? So, there are games that was suppouse to be release on next gen only and are getting last gen version. So, if even Jedi Survivor is getting a base PS4 version, I can't see why NS2 can do as well.

On the other hand, base PS4 is doing fine, if he stay at 1080p30 or dynamic 1080p. Nintendo can do the same and beyond. Staying at 1080p territory and at the same time improving resolution via DLSS.

I never see that as negative. Devs those days are ask so much of power, but they never used. They got soft asking consumers to powerhouse their game. Most of them don't optmize their game.

With a Nintendo console using base PS4 or better specs with 4k output signal and DLSS, I can only expect the best of the Nintendo first party.
The point is that MH6 if we believe the shaky rumour is to be a Switch 2 exclusive.
The issue is I want MH6 to be a step forward not back, World was the first game in god knows how long to be a genuine iteration and improvement. Then Rise, built for portability undid all that.
So regardless of specs, by virtue of Switch 2 likely being portable it will influence the direction of the game. Thats why its not a good thing.
Granted they could very well make a ambitious game regardless, but the franchise stagnated so much when it focused on Nintendo platforms for little gain and I really dont want to wait another 4/5/6/7/8 whatever years to get a game that iterates on World. I dont care what Nintendo First Party does with their own franchises but I really dont want THIS franchise to stagnate again for the sake of ‘portability’.

yurinka

I feared this is why Capcom has been so mum about the game. I have an ugly feeling it will be revealed with switch 2.
Next year is Monster Hunter's 20th anniversary. So Capcom will announce -and pretty likely also release- the game next year.

The smart move would be to announce it for PS5, Xbox and PC with cutting edge visuals. I think that if they also announce it for Switch 2 the visuals will suck because will look like Monster Hunter World.

The point is that MH6 if we believe the shaky rumour is to be a Switch 2 exclusive.
To release it in Switch 2 when Monster Hunter World is their best selling game ever would be a bad idea, but to make it Switch 2 exclusive would be a really stupid idea. I think it won't happen.

Last edited:

Fake

The issue is I want MH6 to be a step forward not back, World was the first game in god knows how long to be a genuine iteration and improvement. Then Rise, built for portability undid all that.
So regardless of specs, by virtue of Switch 2 likely being portable it will influence the direction of the game. Thats why its not a good thing.
Granted they could very well make a ambitious game regardless, but the franchise stagnated so much when it focused on Nintendo platforms for little gain and I really dont want to wait another 4/5/6/7/8 whatever years to get a game that iterates on World. I dont care what Nintendo First Party does with their own franchises but I really dont want THIS franchise to stagnate again for the sake of ‘portability’.

I get your point, but I don't agree with you. MH series should be art direction, not graphic showcase. They can still push NS2 in new ways.

Comandr

The smart move would be to announce it for PS5, Xbox and PC with cutting edge visuals. I think that if they also announce it for Switch 2 the visuals will suck because will look like Monster Hunter World.
This is my fear. It’s going to be 2024. The current gen consoles will be nearly 4 years old now. I don’t want MH6 to be held back by a console that is maybe as powerful as ps4. Unless this thing has a ton of fast af ram and NVME to provide next level storage solutions so we don’t have to have tons of loading screens… I don’t see it though. Not when switch 2’s games will be cartridge based.

yurinka

This is my fear. It’s going to be 2024. The current gen consoles will be nearly 4 years old now. I don’t want MH6 to be held back by a console that is maybe as powerful as ps4. Unless this thing has a ton of fast af ram and NVME to provide next level storage solutions so we don’t have to have tons of loading screens… I don’t see it though. Not when switch 2’s games will be cartridge based.
If they end releasing it for Switch 2, I think they'll also release it crossgen for PS4 and also use this to make sure it runs well in low end PCs like SteamDeck. Which would give them a bigger userbase to sell more copies.

But would be a shame, I'd prefer to leave Switch 2 and PS4 behind and to get way better visuals.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I put 300 or so hours into MH:R on the switch and only 170ish into world on PS4.

My time on PC for both was much lower. I will triple dip anyway....BRING IT

DonF

If its exclusive it has to be timed. I don't believe Capcom is that dumb, after gaining notoriety with World.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Isn't the best seller still Monster Hunter World?
Not in Japan, over there the games do well when people can play it ad hoc, and I think it is important to them to be like that because Merch and collaborations with other brands is a huge business over there, and by the way World sold 15.5 million and Rise did 13, so the difference is not that big and I am pretty sure development budget of Rise is lower than World.

Comandr

The only thing Rise did was it didn't have "great realistic HD artstyle" as World.

Anything beside that,Rise was an improvement from World/Sunbreak
Oh my god no. Here is a video examination of some of the differences between the games. And who better to do said examination than Team Darkside, who has, for years been spending thousands of hours on each entry to bring us incredible content. There is an entire world (lol) of differences between the games, not just on a visual level, but in depth and complexity. Watch the whole video. I double dog dare you. There is a reason people have stopped playing Rise and gone back to World on steam. World has around 30,000-40,000 players at any given time, and that game came out 5 years ago. Rise, the newest entry, and much more recent of a release, has around half that, sometimes less.

Rise lacks depth and replayability. I have definitely spent large chunks of time just following monsters around in the ghillie mantle just to observe their behavior. Monsters in Rise just don't do anything noteworthy. They wander around and wait for the player to kill them. There are no in-map NPCs to meet. No organically improving the canteen with ingredients and food items that you find. No mini quests to do. No tracking and cataloguing monsters. No capturing rare bugs or creatures. No photo mode quest. When all of these things are gutted, it leaves the experience feeling shallow.

Furthermore, monsters had SO much health, it just felt like a fuckin slog. Let's examine a couple monsters.

MHW Great Jagras 1star quest: 1P - 1,408HP. 4P - 2,816HP.
MHW Great Jagras 9star quest: 1P - 16,390HP. 4P - 40,656HP.

MHR Great Izuchi 1star Hub: 1P - 5,070HP. 4P - 11,154HP.
MHR Great Izuchi 6star Hub: 1P - 55,500HP. 4P - 111,700HP.

Rise HP levels demonstrate what I would consider poor respect for the players' time. The fights can get so long, they just feel boring. And that's the worst thing a game could be.

lyan

I think Switch 2’s launch window will be fine. We are potentially looking at 3D Mario, Mario Kart 9, Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong, BOTW/TOTK remasters… they are going to be fine.

Let’s say that Nintendo sells 3 million switches per month. I think that’s an achievable, aggressive number. And even 1 out of every 10 people buy the switch 2 exclusive MH6 - which I also think is a generous estimation...

That’s only potentially 300,000 sales per month. At a year, the game will have only sold like 3.6 million copies making it one of the slowest selling MH games in history.

Nah. Don’t make sense to be exclusive.

Edited for maths:

January 2022, MHR came to PC. In the 9 months it was exclusive to switch, it sold 8 million copies. This was against a Switch install base of 104 million. That means 7.69% of Switch owners bothered to purchase MHR in that time frame. Assuming we maintain the same level of interest, that lowers our sales projections of MH6 to roughly 2.8 million copies in a year's time. I would argue this number could be even lower when you factor in competing sales of potential all star launch titles. People only have so much money after all.

When MHR released in March of 21, it basically had no competition. Mario 3D world came out Jan 12, Bravely Default 2 Feb 26, MHR exactly a month later on March 26th, followed by New Pokemon Snap April 30th, and the next biggest new game was Mario Golf on June 25th. So there was basically a full month where MHR was the biggest release and had essentially no competition for hungry Switch owners, and still only 7.69% bothered.

Let's do some contrasting. As of currently, Xbox has sold 21m units, PS5 40m, and let's just say for shits and giggles there are 100m capable PCs out there. That's 161 million potential customers that Capcom is ignoring if they sign an exclusivity deal with Nintendo. Let's use the same figure we did for MHR and say that only 7.69% of those people are interested in MH6. That would put our potential day one sales at .... Almost 12.4 million. That's a hell of a lot more than Switch 2's exclusive 2.8 million.

So now it's 12.4 million multiplat or 2.8 million switch 2 exclusive. We have roughly a 10 million sale deficit. If the game sells for $70, since Capcom's president thinks games are too cheap, and even HALF of that is going back to Capcom, that's $35,000,000 they potentially missed out on by signing a year's exclusivity deal.

And let's face it. Switch isn't the only way to play games portably anymore. We live in a post steam deck world. And we have cell phones. laughs in iphone 15 pro
Could be Switch + PC, a significant chunk that owns PS5/Xbox also owns a gaming PC anyway, them plus a nintendo fat cheque could make up the difference.

Woopah

I cant believe people see this as a positive tbh. The Mainline series is where they typically make the large leaps forward, they arent going to if they’re held back by last gen hardware.
MH6 should be made with PS5/PC being at the forefront. World showed they wanted more complex animal behaviour, world design and I want 6 to expand on that further. A prettier World 2 is fine but not exactly ambitious and if its more like ‘Rise 2’ lol it can fuck right off.
Thankfully World sold more than any other entry so its highly unlikely 6 will be developed primarily for Switch 2.
Games are so scalable right now that I don't think it really matters.

For example, which games so far have been held back by being on the Steam Deck?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Could be Switch + PC, a significant chunk that owns PS5/Xbox also owns a gaming PC anyway, them plus a nintendo fat cheque could make up the difference.
The issue is I have Rise for both PC and Switch, it is so much better on PC because it does not run like ass... the issue is it also looks so much worse than World which is also massively better than its console versions...

And while the switch 2 will be more powerful than the switch no doubt, what I want is a Monster Hunter with all the benefits of what the devs learned in rise... but none of the restrictions required for it to run on a handheld.

For PC to get access to the best version of the next monster hunter, it needs to be on the more powerful console hardware, also fuck those Amiibo restricted costumes, we never got those on PC and they look vastly superior to the regular monster versions.

Last edited:

Stafford

Like others already said it's doubtful that it will be timed exclusive, since this is mainline.

I really want Capcom to take full advantage of current new systems, so I just hope this new Nintendo system won't be holding anything back. I hope what Kotick said was false.

Stafford

Didn't Capcom recently say PC is there main platform going forward? I am going to assume that PS5, Xbox Series X/S , Switch 2 and PC will all be day 1 releases with crossplay.

Players have been begging for crossplay and cross save forever now for Monster Hunter. Wild Hearts had it day 1 so I don't see how Capcom wouldn't have that at release at MH6. I believe they acknowledged it.

I just hope the rumors of Switch 2 being close to PS5/Series X with DLSS are release. I don't want next mainline game to suffer. MHW was amazing because it pushed the boundaries and evolutonized the franchise. It needs to do it again.

We had those rumors? I could swear most if not all rumors have been that it's Xbox One-PS4. Maybe one rumor about PS4 Pro? But I probably missed this then. Who said this?

darrylgorn

guys, insider here!

the next switch will have a mario game at some point
90ksbrP.gif

Top Bottom