• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
She could have lied to Frey to fuck with his head before killing him.

Not that she didn't kill the sons. But she may not have baked them into a pie.

YXs9weU.jpg

It's pretty much an actual Frey Pie.

How much of this story do you think is going to be the same in the books? I'm talking overall things, not the details. Will Stannis die? Will Cersei do the wildfire trick in the books? Will Dany lead the Dothraki again?

YXs9weU.jpg

It's pretty much an actual Frey Pie.

I can't see this very well on my phone. What am I looking for?

belushy

Banned
How much of this story do you think is going to be the same in the books? I'm talking overall things, not the details. Will Stannis die? Will Cersei do the wildfire trick in the books? Will Dany lead the Dothraki again?

Finger + finger nail in the pie in the middleish area.

Speevy

Banned
I know nothing is as satisfying as seeing Walder die.

But wouldn't it be cool if several pies were served to Walder Frey and the guests started discovering parts of Black Walder and Lothar.

Then Walder, who has already eaten a slice or two, demands to know who baked the pies.

You see a girl elsewhere, and she removes the mask to reveal Arya.

Speevy

Banned
Alan Sepinwall made a great point in his review. The music in the first twenty minutes sounded like something out of The Leftovers.

Like a funeral.

I don't think I've felt worse for a three characters than I felt for Margaery, Loras, and Mace.

Totally blameless in this whole situation.

It would have felt like overkill in a poorly handled scene, but they actually pulled off a Red Wedding level massacre completely off book. Amazing.

Atlantis

Did I miss something with the kid luring the sparrow to the wildfire?

It seemed like a careful thought out part of the plan, making sure to be seen, taking him right to the stuff, stabbing him in a way to immobilize his legs but not kill him.
All that effort to... rub it in?

That wasn't just "a sparrow", that was Lancel Lannister. His confession of an affair with Cersei is what got her arrested by The Faith in the first place.

It makes sense that'd she'd want to specifically target him. She wanted him to suffer just that much more.

dubq

It seemed like a careful thought out part of the plan, making sure to be seen, taking him right to the stuff, stabbing him in a way to immobilize his legs but not kill him.

Character viewpoint.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't think I've felt worse for a three characters than I felt for Margaery, Loras, and Mace.

It would have felt like overkill in a poorly handled scene, but they actually pulled off a Red Wedding level massacre completely off book. Amazing.

The only true innocent, was lovely old Mace Tyrell. The amount of singing talent in the show has taken a brutal hit.

You know, Jaime did say all the sparrows would die before they let Margery Tyrell walk down the street...He was right.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Did we ever get the scene that in pre-season people thought was Jaime killing the Mad King?

I don't think we ever got that viewpoint (of shadows on the wall).

Wonder if they'd actually throw that in to imply a scene from next season ;P

It's a POV used to build tension and suspense. The scene would not have been as effective without a POV showing that something was the fuck up.

Film making 101 dude.

NateDrake

I don't think we ever got that viewpoint (of shadows on the wall).

Wonder if they'd actually throw that in to imply a scene from next season ;P

Was thinking about it last night after the episode ended, and didn't think we ever saw that viewpoint of the shadows on the wall. Kind of odd for a teaser trailer to have it and then nothing in the show.

Speevy

Banned
The only true innocent, was lovely old Mace Tyrell. The amount of singing talent in the show has taken a brutal hit.

You know, Jaime did say all the sparrows would die before they left Margery Tyrell walk down the street...He was right.

So give me a kiss by the Long Canal
And give me two kisses in Salty Town
For we’re going to die tomorrow
The bareheaded beggar, the king with his crown…

Holy fuck.

Wut? She was to deliver Cersei to the High Sparrow. Who do you think influenced Tommen to drop the trial by combat clause? A manipulative bitch until her death. Hardly blameless.

On a different note, is it a foregone conclusion now that Stannis will also die in TWOW?

Kerned

Banned
That wasn't just "a sparrow", that was Lancel Lannister. His confession of an affair with Cersei is what got her arrested by The Faith in the first place.

It makes sense that'd she'd want to specifically target him. She wanted him to suffer just that much more.

But it really makes no sense to think that her plan was to have this kid lure Lancel - specifically Lancel - down to the catacombs, stab him near the wildfire stash so he collapses just in view of the candles, but too far to be able to stop them from igniting the wildfire. It just doesn't make sense for anyone to plan that.

Why did he follow the kid down there to begin with? What was the kid doing? As far as I could tell he was just... there. Just running down the steps, in an innocent kid sorta way. He didn't even leave a flaming back of shit on steps of the Sept or anything.

It was an amazing episode - the best in the series, probably - but this part makes no sense. I'm okay with it, because it allowed for that amazing sequence to play out the way it did. The cutting between Lancel futilely trying to reach the candles in time, and Marg and Co. up in the Sept slowing realizes something is seriously wrong. It was perfect! I just feel like they could have justified Lancel's excursion into the catacombs a bit better. He was sent to the Red Keep to retrieve the Queen Mother, why would he take a detour to chase a kid into a building and underground? Why would he detour for anything at that moment?

Black_Sun

I'd say 50 % of the big things are true.

Will Stannis die? 50-50.

Will Dany lead the Dothraki? Definitely. It's been foreshadowed at the HOTU.

Will Cersei pull the wildfire trick? Most likely not. The story is angling to give Aegon more prominence and that means kicking Cersei out of KL.

Will Jon become king in the north? Yep. GRRM set the groundwork for that since book one.

Is Dorne going to ally with Daenerys? No.

Will the SS kills Doran? No.

Are Jon and Ramsay headed to a climatic final battle of good versus evil? No.

Will Cersei become the Queen of Westeros? No. She has no claim to it. She might become Queen of the Westerlands though.

Are Theon and Yara going to Meereen? No.

Is Marge going to die? Yep. I'm pretty sure she loses her trial in the books.

Kozak

Banned
Wut? She was to deliver Cersei to the High Sparrow. Who do you think influenced Tommen to drop the trial by combat clause? A manipulative bitch until her death. Hardly blameless.

On a different note, is it a foregone conclusion now that Stannis will also die in TWOW?

So she was to deliver an evil power hungry woman to the High Sparrow and influenced Tommen to drop trial by combat so evil people couldn't use it to their advantage to get out of wrongdoings anymore?

What a horrible, manipulative bitch :p

The faces on Margaery and The High Sparrow moments before the explosion was immense. My heart stopped.

Speevy

Banned

I don't think any of this actually happened on screen. Yes, I'm sure of it.

Margaery played the game, but did so in a very "I'm not trying to kill you." way.

I don't think any of this actually happened on screen. Yes, I'm sure of it.

Margaery played the game, but did so in a very "I'm not trying to kill you." way.
But it does happen on screen. Margarery cites a deal with the Sparrow when she argues that Loras should be freed. HS says the deal is to get the Queen Mother on trial.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, I notice in the AV club review they make a point that the King in the North scene was heavily framed around Jon having Ned's blood.

But is it really going to matter much if he doesn't? North went to war when Lyanna was kidnapped. By all accounts she was beloved by the North. Am I being silly for thinking the North won't care if it's revealed to them that he's Lyanna's son?

Ithil

So, I notice in the AV club review they make a point that the King in the North scene was heavily framed around Jon having Ned's blood.

But is it really going to matter much if he doesn't? North went to war when Lyanna was kidnapped. By all accounts she was beloved by the North. Am I being silly for thinking the North won't care if it's revealed to them that he's Lyanna's son?

I think his father being a Targaryen might be the more pressing issue.

I think Bran is the only person who knows of Jon's true parentage. Maybe he'll keep it a secret?

Black_Sun

No. GRRM included Stannis in the list of people that might not die in books or if they did might die differently.

But it really makes no sense to think that her plan was to have this kid lure Lancel - specifically Lancel - down to the catacombs, stab him near the wildfire stash so he collapses just in view of the candles, but too far to be able to stop them from igniting the wildfire. It just doesn't make sense for anyone to plan that.

Why did he follow the kid down there to begin with? What was the kid doing? As far as I could tell he was just... there. Just running down the steps, in an innocent kid sorta way. He didn't even leave a flaming back of shit on steps of the Sept or anything.

It was an amazing episode - the best in the series, probably - but this part makes no sense. I'm okay with it, because it allowed for that amazing sequence to play out the way it did. The cutting between Lancel futilely trying to reach the candles in time, and Marg and Co. up in the Sept slowing realizes something is seriously wrong. It was perfect! I just feel like they could have justified Lancel's excursion into the catacombs a bit better. He was sent to the Red Keep to retrieve the Queen Mother, why would he take a detour to chase a kid into a building and underground? Why would he detour for anything at that moment?

I believe the word you're looking for is "contrived".

Which it was. A scheme that worked out "perfectly" just for drama. Overall, the scene was still fantastic and I don't think it's the biggest flaw of the episode (Aryas scene, which deserved a much better arc this season that just wasn't there).

I'm thinking that the moment his Targaryan ancestry is learned several factions will push for him to claim the throne instead of Dany, possibly leading to a second Dance of the Dragons.

Black_Sun

Well yeah. Lyanna wasn't really beloved in the North. I'm sure she had her friends but that's overselling it.

And the North went to war as a result of killing their Lord Paranound Rickard, killing his heir, Brandon, kidnapping Lyanna and the Mad King ordering Ned Stark's death.

The war never started at ,Lyanna's kidnapping. It started when Jon Arryn declared war against the Mad King to protect Robert and Ned.

I'm thinking that the moment his Targaryan ancestry is learned several factions will push for him to claim the throne instead of Dany, possibly leading to a second Dance of the Dragons.

Dany is gonna marry Jon cause he's King of the North and he'll unite the north again with the rest of Westeros. Boom. Incest.

Now that the season is over who else kind of laughs at Rickon being brought back for two short scenes in this entire season, only to kill him. What the fuck was the point of him lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom