• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I really do hate the writers on this show. They have been consistently rewarded by high praise even though they do not deserve it. It is not even that hard to write these characters. D&D have been sloppy ever since the red wedding and it show time and time again.

Gigglepoo

Cqf2QRiUIAEu28m

Fool me once...

Gigglepoo

why? season 6 was pretty good again

The first half was really good and then the writers forgot to pay off anything they built up. Just too many plot holes, shortcuts, and hand waving. I expect S7 will follow suit. It's been proven over and over again that D&D can craft a plot worth a damn.

Crossing my fingers I'm wrong.

Moff

The first half was really good and then the writers forgot to pay off anything they built up. Just too many plot holes, shortcuts, and hand waving. I expect S7 will follow suit. It's been proven over and over again that D&D can craft a plot worth a damn.

hmm, I agree about the usual plot holes and shortcuts and rushing, but I still feel episode 10 paid off really well. and generally, season 6 was so so much better than what I expected as a follow up to season 5.

Gigglepoo

hmm, I agree about the usual plot holes and shortcuts and rushing, but I still feel episode 10 paid off really well. and generally, season 6 was so so much better than what I expected as a follow up to season 5.

I do think that a lot of the goodwill toward S6 is that it was significantly happier than the previous seasons. We finally saw the heroes triumph after losing over and over and over again. Last season, we bemoaned how nihilistic the show had become so it was a relief to get away from misery for a little while.

I don't think that shift necessarily made things better, though. Because of its relentless march toward victory, there was never any fear that the characters we love were in danger. Just look at the comments after Arya was stabbed. By that point, we were so used to our favorite characters getting out of trouble that no one -- no one! -- thought she would actually kick the bucket.

That mentality is fine once and a while, but when spread over the course of a season, it makes for predictable storytelling.

It's been said a million times but man, that fucking entire sept sequence with Cersei, Marg, the Sparrow, and everyone else preparing for the day, culminating with the church organ music underground was probably the high point of the entire series. It was just so so so fuckin good.

Blatz

Crossing my fingers I'm wrong.

Lol. Yeah there was no payoff in the second half of S6. Right.

Blatz

I don't think that shift necessarily made things better, though. Because of its relentless march toward victory, there was never any fear that the characters we love were in danger. Just look at the comments after Arya was stabbed. By that point, we were so used to our favorite characters getting out of trouble that no one -- no one! -- thought she would actually kick the bucket.

To be fair though, that's not really the fault of the show runners/writers. There's been so much "purpose" projected onto Arya Stark in both the books and the show that the stabbing served very little purpose. I hope it was invented in for the show and it's not in the books.

Gigglepoo

Lol. Yeah there was no payoff in the second half of S6. Right.

They take so many shortcuts that it dilutes the impact of whatever they construct. Even during the best sequences (the first twenty minutes of E10 are mostly excellent) there's lingering questions like "Why did Lancel follow that boy?" that show a haphazardous to the writing. It's more concerned with moments than logic so the show crumbles under any deeper analysis.

But, yes, it does have some incredible moments. Hold the door is my favorite scene from the series. It just doesn't add up to much.

Blatz

They take so many shortcuts that it dilutes the impact of whatever they construct. Even during the best sequences (the first twenty minutes of E10 are mostly excellent) there's lingering questions like "Why did Lancel follow that boy?" that show a haphazardous to the writing. It's more concerned with moments than logic so the show crumbles under any deeper analysis.

But, yes, it does have some incredible moments. Hold the door is my favorite scene from the series. It just doesn't add up to much.

I can't really disagree with any of that. I just can't imagine how they could do much better given 10 hours per season. It's sad they're shortening seasons 7 and 8 after short-cutting seasons 1-6. They could've easily stretched books 2 & 3 over two seasons each.

On Hodor, maybe they'll never mention him again. I kept waiting for Bran to get upset about it. But we didn't get much screen time with him after the Door.

Gigglepoo

I wish the shiwrunners acknowledged the time constraints and had fewer characters. Why add Euron when they're so pressed for time? Or throw another Red Priestess into the mix? Like, we all like The Hound, but when you're already skipping so much plot and character development, why bring him and The Brotherhood Without Banners back?

It's a strange show that struggles fitting everything in but still devoted a scene to Misandrei telling a joke. They just aren't sure how best to use the limited time they have.

Some significant Daenerys' spoilers for next season.

"Sources tell us that we can look forward to seeing Daenerys at the Dragonpit in season 7.

In the A Song of Ice and Fire books, the Dragonpit is a massive old building on a hill in King’s Landing. Years before the story as we know it begins, the Dragonpit was used to house the dragons of the Targaryens. Ultimately it was destroyed, with only the ruins remaining."

KahooTs

In the books Dany will sentence Jaime to death for killing her father by commanding he be locked in the dragon pit with her dragons to be eaten. Maybe we are going to get that scene.

- EW: Game of Thrones casts Jim Broadbent in first season 7 role
Game of Thrones has cast its first new season 7 role.

The fantasy hit has signed Oscar winner Jim Broadbent for the eagerly anticipated penultimate season, EW has learned exclusively.

The veteran British performer’s credits range from the films Time Bandits, Brazil and Bridget Jones’s Diary, to his Emmy-nominated title role on the series Longford, to a recurring role in the Harry Potter franchise (he played Horace Slughorn). Broadbent also won the best supporting actor Oscar for his role in the 2001 film Iris.

So who does Broadbent play on Game of Thrones?

That’s where our news stops and your speculation begins. We only know that Broadbent’s role is “significant.” The spoiler-averse GoT team doesn’t want to say anything yet about who the actor is playing on the series. Some vague casting descriptions have leaked in recent weeks, but oftentimes such character rundowns sent to casting agents are deliberately deceptive because producers assume the notices will wind up online.

Gigglepoo

He's too old to be Howland.

I think he'll be one of the higher ups at the Citadel.

Everyone they cast is too old for the part. But he'd fit right in with their other casting decisions. The dude is only ten years older than Sean Bean.

But I still agree. Better chance that he's Marwyn than sneaky old Howland.

Speevy

Banned
Has anyone ever had a dream about this show so bizarre they had to share?

I know this show is Game of Thrones. I know it in my bones, but I had a dream last night that this show had transformed into some insanely over-the-top, epic Lord of the Rings style fantasy.

Not only that, but the final episodes of this show had leaked, and it was full of gigantic knights fighting fire-breathing dragons and other monsters. Everything was just huge, and it was all in the past. All the final episodes were set years before the events of the show. There were these huge scale battles and castles I had never seen before. It felt like I was there in the show. There was this one creature that attached itself to a giant tower and was presumably going to defend that tower until the end of time.

A younger Sean Bean was in it. Fucking Gandalf was in it for some reason, and there was this tiny elf wizard that had lived for thousands of years. He was Gandalf's friend and somehow held the key to all the events that it had transpired. It made sense to me.

I swear on my life that as I was dreaming this, it was Game of Thrones. Even though I just described something that bears no resemblance to this show we watch every year, I felt like I had just watched the end.

I think I drank too much Nyquil.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Has anyone ever had a dream about this show so bizarre they had to share?

I know this show is Game of Thrones. I know it in my bones, but I had a dream last night that this show had transformed into some insanely over-the-top, epic Lord of the Rings style fantasy.

Not only that, but the final episodes of this show had leaked, and it was full of gigantic knights fighting fire-breathing dragons and other monsters. Everything was just huge, and it was all in the past. All the final episodes were set years before the events of the show. There were these huge scale battles and castles I had never seen before. It felt like I was there in the show. There was this one creature that attached itself to a giant tower and was presumably going to defend that tower until the end of time.

A younger Sean Bean was in it. Fucking Gandalf was in it for some reason, and there was this tiny elf wizard that had lived for thousands of years. He was Gandalf's friend and somehow held the key to all the events that it had transpired. It made sense to me.

I swear on my life that as I was dreaming this, it was Game of Thrones. Even though I just described something that bears no resemblance to this show we watch every year, I felt like I had just watched the end.

I think I drank too much Nyquil.
I kind of love it actually. Although maybe not having Gandalf or elf-friend or be set in the past. Otherwise yes. I want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom