• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Tenck

Episode 6 leaked and someone on YouTube uploading clips with spoilers in the titles. Thought some people might be interested in avoiding those till Sunday.

Didn't someone from the Night's Watch already do the whole "bring proof of the walking dead to King's Landing to convince everyone" thing? I could've swore he brought a still moving zombie hand to court and everyone laughed at him.

Tenck

Didn't someone from the Night's Watch already do the whole "bring proof of the walking dead to King's Landing to convince everyone" thing? I could've swore he brought a still moving zombie hand to court and everyone laughed at him.

Didn't it decompose and his proof was gone? Been a while since I last read the first book.

Gigglepoo

In the book, Tyrion the Hand ignored Allister Throne because he's a dick and the hand decomposed. In the show, Allister Thorne's actor wasn't available so they dropped the plot. But, yeah, we've already seen this plan.

Episode 6 leaked and someone on YouTube uploading clips with spoilers in the titles. Thought some people might be interested in avoiding those till Sunday.
This is exactly what happened to me right before episode 4. Looks like I'll be avoiding YouTube until after the show airs. Thanks for the heads up.

Joni

Jon took an enormous amount of pride in being the son of Ned Stark, regardless of being a bastard.

Ned's still his father but the news of his biological parents should certainly be a blow to him.
He should at least realize how much Ned must have loved him to live that lie.

a916

So is Gilly going to tell Jon Snow about the marriage?

I feel like it was very comical to see Sam shut her up when she was about to drop a megaton. And now she's the only person who knows (unless somehow Bran knows...)

I feel like it was very comical to see Sam shut her up when she was about to drop a megaton. And now she's the only person who knows (unless somehow Bran knows...)
She doesn't know the significance of it. Neither does Sam. The only person that would know is Bran and I guess Howland Reed would be able to piece it together.

About "Raggar's" annulment and remarriage? Doesn't appear she knows the significance of it. Maybe she or Sam will have their memory jogged & conveniently chime in about it after Bran spills the beans to Jon about the rest.

Kraftwerk

So, I plan to read the books once this season ends. I heard there is an illustrated version of the books, and the normal version. Worth picking up the illustrated version ?

Burt

*After Dany dragon ex machinas the Suicide Squad out of danger and flies everyone back to Winterfell, they all go to see Bran beneath the Weirwood*

Jon: "It's good to have a brother again."

Bran: "But I'm not your brother. I'm your cousin."

*Exposition dump*

giphy.gif

*Fade to black*

*Hold for 5 seconds*

*Dragon fucking sounds*

*End season*

[Editor's note -- Jorah died beyond the Wall. No one has spoken of him since.]

95% chance

a916

About "Raggar's" annulment and remarriage? Doesn't appear she knows the significance of it. Maybe she or Sam will have their memory jogged & conveniently chime in about it after Bran spills the beans to Jon about the rest.

It's crazy how she holds such a big piece of the puzzle... and no one knows the significance lol.

*After Dany dragon ex machinas the Suicide Squad out of danger and flies everyone back to Winterfell, they all go to see Bran beneath the Weirwood*

Jon: "It's good to have a brother again."

Bran: "But I'm not your brother. I'm your cousin."

*Exposition dump*

giphy.gif

*Fade to black*

*Hold for 5 seconds*

*Dragon fucking sounds*

*End season*

[Editor's note -- Jorah died beyond the Wall. No one has spoken of him since.]

95% chance

I bet 95% of being 100% accurate.

- The Verge Interview: Game of Thrones’ first AD on the challenges of Eastwatch, and how Jon Snow almost ‘turned into a human kite’

Good look into a complicated production.
Were there any particular budget challenges for “Eastwatch”?

Whenever a dragon appears, it’s expensive. And it’s a tricky one, too. The fans love them, but honestly, they’re very hard to work with. An actor is trying to act quite often with something that isn’t there, so they’re being challenged to emote while looking at a green screen, or a piece of green cloth. The sequence where Jon meets Drogon, we were filming on a cliff-edge in Northern Ireland, with very high winds, and Kit [Harington] had this safety rope attached to him, and a harness, because it was so windy. [Laughs] He had this heavy cape on, and had the wind picked up any more, he would have just turned into a human kite.

So you have him standing on a cliff-edge with a flapping cape, and a guy dressed in wet-weather gear, because it’s freezing, holding up a green ball on the end of a green stick. And that’s the dragon. It’s quite crude, actually. And then obviously everything is added in post. It looks preposterous, but you have to treat it seriously and create an atmosphere on set as if you’re at the theatre, while there’s all this anarchy going on. That’s an important aspect of what the assistant director is. What I have to do on set is make sure the machine moves fast, but the moment the camera rolls, you go into that quiet mode. Otherwise, nothing gets done.
What else was a challenge in “Eastwatch”?

The sequences on Dragonstone where Jon sails away were done on this incredible beach in Spain, and we chose it because, geologically speaking, the rock formations are stunning. It’s like nothing else. You could spend fortunes doing that with visual effects, but this site actually exists — the producers on Thrones are incredibly good at this, when they commit to an idea fully, when they think it’s worth it. So they said, “This is a beach that’s worth us going to.”

But what it meant, going there at that time of year, was that we were fighting the tide. Normally, we have a 10-hour filming day. There, we had like six and a half hours. We started with the cast at the lip of the beach, maybe 400, 500 feet from the cliff. And by the end of the filming day, you were fighting for space to put your feet on the sand, because the tide had come in so much, and it was very rough. So we were often having to cut mid-take, because the cast were getting washed away. So what you see as a tiny two-minute sequence cost us days of filming, and we were all wet up to the waist for most of it. But you anticipate these problems, you always make sure it’s safe, and you allocate time to it.
How is Game of Thrones different from other series you’ve worked on?

Thrones is a unique animal. Normally when you have a TV schedule, one team starts to prepare, and once they’re filming, the second team starts preparing. So you top-and-tail. Thrones is different, because you all start pretty much the same time. You might have four or five teams — director, DoP, the first assistant director, and the second AD. They make up one team. Each team is allocated a color, and they are boarded across a very complex schedule, across many countries. We all share resources, and that breaks down into actors’ availability and sharing certain large pieces of equipment, such as cranes and sets.

This schedule gets even more complex, because you’re not just understanding your own scripts, you have to feed into others. And that means you need to understand all the characters’ throughlines and stories, because Dany might be filming something from the end of episode 3 on Monday, then on Tuesday, she could be filming something from episode 6. So her journey needs to be tracked, and made very clear for each story day.

What kind of decisions do you have to make as you’re balancing conflicts between ambition and budget?

It’s less a conflict, and more a series of small negotiations. One sequence that was spoken about in great detail was the loot train in “Spoils of War.” We had multiple dragon strafing runs to blow things up, but it was very expensive, and time is money on a film set. To allow the pyrotechnics team to rig a set, you have to leave it, and that costs you time. You can’t be on the set when it’s being prepared, so you have to move an enormous crew away. Then once you’ve blown it up, you need to dress it again, to make it look like it’s been blown up. So you have to balance the cost of multiple attack runs with how it’s going to look, and the time it’s going to cost you to have all these different stages of set dressing. Those kinds of fine details require an awful lot of negotiations and planning. So you involve all of the [heads of department] and get their opinions, and they find the strongest throughline and the best plan that accommodates every department. And that becomes your shooting schedule.

Also:

- Promo photos from Ep 6 (please spoiler tag discussion)

I'm seeing people online talking about how in next episode, people from HBO Spain will die. From those comments, plus another couple I'm reading, I think 7x06 leaked. Any news on that? Would suck to leave social media now :(

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It just occurred to me, with the Tarlys dead and since Sam can't be leader of the House, does this means that baby Sam is the new head of House Tarly? (IIRC Sam told Randall he was his son)

Brakke

Banned
It just occurred to me, with the Tarlys dead and since Sam can't be leader of the House, does this means that baby Sam is the new head of House Tarly? (IIRC Sam told Randall he was his son)

No, Baby Sam definitely isn't true born and bastards don't inherit without some royal intercession.

a916

He's not the real son though, and even if he was, would he not be a bastard. Part of the oath he took is that he can take no lands.

Why is everyone worried about his oath?

There will be NO nights watch soon. If sam survives until the end, the watch will be done. It will end with the 1000th lord commander. The wall will come down and the night king will die. The land of ever winter and all the magical atrocities hidden inside will be no more.

The nights watch and their oaths will simply be irrelevant.

samn

Why is everyone worried about his oath?

There will be NO nights watch soon. If sam survives until the end, the watch will be done. It will end with the 1000th lord commander. The wall will come down and the night king will die. The land of ever winter and all the magical atrocities hidden inside will be no more.

The nights watch and their oaths will simply be irrelevant.

I don't see why anyone should care about their oaths since all the shit Jon Snow's been up to.

Brakke

Banned
Got it. So while we are at it, what happens if a bastard is the only living member of a family?

The line rolls back up to find a male heir or else starts working through females I guess. Probably goes to Sam's sister, being she's the last living child of the last living male who was eligible to inherit?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The line rolls back up to find a male heir or else starts working through females I guess. Probably goes to Sam's sister, being she's the last living child of the last living male who was eligible to inherit?

No i mean if a bastard is really the last member of the family, everyone else is dead. Does he/she becomes the head of the house or is the house disbanded?

Hazmat

*broken record* The Northern Lords don't know that he died.

The northern lords and the Stark kids all clearly had an off-screen slumber party where Jon talked about his death and also told everyone that Rickon died. They had a pillow fight afterwards, so it was still a fun night.

Brakke

Banned
No i mean if a bastard is really the last member of the family, everyone else is dead. Does he/she becomes the head of the house or is the house disbanded?

House is just dead. Chances are there's some Lord somewhere who can take it though. The Baratheons pretended they were next in succession after the Targaryens were dead because of some old Baratheon aunty or whatever.

But you have cases like House Harren where it really did just end and then the Crown has to appoint a new Lord.

edit: House Hoare, actually. Harren was the last Hoare.

cinco

Buddy of mine who doesn't really watch GOT just sent me a spoilerly ass pic saying "Have you seen this? That's pretty cool. "

😐

dabig2

Not like a bastard can't be made legit. Hell, that's how House Baratheon was created in the first place. So the answer is... it depends. If a bastard isn't made legit, then the house is just dead. Or someone can make the bastard legit so the house can continue with former bastard as the new head of the house (like Ramsay SnowBolton after he offs his dad). Or the bastard can be made legit and have a completely new house created for him with him as head (origin of House Baratheon).

Neece

It's also possible for a woman to continue to line if she marries a lowborn person and they agree that their children will take her name. That is what people speculated that Lyanna's mom Maege Mormont did.

So the Tarly daughter can marry someone and have a child with him named Tarly.

jfkgoblue

It's also possible for a woman to continue to line if she marries a lowborn person and they agree that their children will take her name. That is what people speculated that Lyanna's mom Maege Mormont did.

Think they just marry non heir highborn sons and have the children take the woman's last name, never lowborn. This was actually Tywin's plan with Tyrion and Sansa, have their children take the Stark name, and have Tyrion rule the north through their name.

dabig2

Yeah, that's already happened with the Starks too. And presumably all these other houses that claim thousands of years of descendants. Not like every generation is guaranteed a male heir. The famous Bael the Bard story has the Stark line continuing from a Stark woman and a wildling.

Too fucking late I loaded up YouTube and the first "recommended" video on my list the title was a huge spoiler I'm so fucking pissed right now if true. Be warned people stay off the internet or at least YouTube.

Drazgul

Like the pirates' code, the westerosi succession laws are more of what you'd call guidelines than ironclad rules.

a916

Too fucking late I loaded up YouTube and the first "recommended" video on my list the title was a huge spoiler I'm so fucking pissed right now if true. Be warned people stay off the internet or at least YouTube.

Was it like one of those Youtube reaction videos? Ugh... god I have to stay off Youtube now... can people not have some decency. I used to have Arkham 100% ending videos always show up on my feed, like what the hell?!

VDenter

Banned
Regarding Cercei, I think
she will die soon. She's pregnant with a 4th child and the witch prophesized that she would have 3 children. If that is true then the baby will die in the womb

Yeah but the show has a dumb continuity error.
In the second episode of season 1 i believe she mentioned to Catelyn Stark that she used to have a kid who died. So she technically already had four kids in the shows continuity at least.

House is just dead. Chances are there's some Lord somewhere who can take it though. The Baratheons pretended they were next in succession after the Targaryens were dead because of some old Baratheon aunty or whatever.

But you have cases like House Harren where it really did just end and then the Crown has to appoint a new Lord.

edit: House Hoare, actually. Harren was the last Hoare.
Where do Hoares go?

Neece

Yeah but the show has a dumb continuity error.
In the second episode of season 1 i believe she mentioned to Catelyn Stark that she used to have a kid who died. So she technically already had four kids in the shows continuity at least.

I always chalked that up to Cersei lying to Cat. But it's just as likely that it's just a continuity error.

Edit: Just remembered that Robert actually confirmed that they lost the child.

What's more likely is that Jon will dismiss Sam from the Night's Watch to take back his rightful titles because he was forcefully put into the Night's Watch without having committed a crime.

Top Bottom