• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*Unofficial) Microsoft has just acquired Playground Games

Last edited:

Dunki

I do not think that a studio that is only known for Forza spin offs is helping them much in the task of creating new IPs which MS really needs right now.

thelastword

Banned
I do not think that a studio that is only known for Forza spin offs is helping them much in the task of creating new IPs which MS really needs right now.
Well, all I'm seeing from them is Three Horizon games and Fable Legends.......You think they will be allowed to do something out of their comfort zone? I agree though, purchasing them is fine, but I don't think it changes the dynamics too much...

Dunki

Well, all I'm seeing from them is Three Horizon games and Fable Legends.......You think they will be allowed to do something out of their comfort zone? I agree though, purchasing them is fine, but I don't think it changes the dynamics too much...
Honestly I do not know if they are allowed to do something different Wasnt Fable Legends also cancelled? MS hs not a good reputation in my opinion.. Just take how messy the whole scalebound thing was.

And new IPs is what MS really needs right now. They are even more so at the Nintendo . Mario Zelda Metroid level.

Last edited:

cucuchu

Good move on Microsoft's part and I hope they provide Playground with the freedom to create their own franchise

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Good move on Microsoft's part and I hope they provide Playground with the freedom to create their own franchise
Don't count on it. With Forza Horizon yearly and now Fable, I don't see the bandwidth.

Well, Sea of Thieves is a new ip even though it wasn't a game rare fans wanted. They still wanted them to develop old ips like Banjo even though veterans of the studio left. Plus Nuts & Bolts wasn't really well liked by the Rare community and so was PDZ

goldenpp72

@ Vawn Vawn Of course you are missing a LOT of IP's, like Fable, Crackdown, Cuphead, Killer Instinct and a lot more but i'm lazy.
And I'm not a Xbox guy, just a gamer.

It should be really good if we could all agree that there is enough space for all without necessarily throwing spades constantly (not targeting anyone in particular on this, for real, just an overall feeling)

Now that everything is said...
1528204801-hihihi.png

Fable hasn't had an entry on Xbox one, lets at least try to focus on the current console. Cuphead isn't owned by MS either but Sony does have similar dealings.

But why? Didnt Gears 4 pretty much bomb? I never heard much buzz about the whole game. 3 Halo Games sure but Gears?
Three different Gears games, though I don't recall Coalition deloping all three of them. On the other hand, I heard The Coalition is creating a new Perfect Dark and Splash Damage is creating GeoW 6

//DEVIL//

That is one good partnership regardless of the costs . These guys are awesome . And with fh4 in few days , their stock will rocket .

I think MS made this move before e3 on purpose because fh4 will probably win allot of e3 awards

Dunki

That is one good partnership regardless of the costs . These guys are awesome . And with fh4 in few days , their stock will rocket .

I think MS made this move before e3 on purpose because fh4 will probably win allot of e3 awards
At a show with h cyberpunk last of us Tsushima death stranding etc you have to have a terrible fever dream . E3 willl be a massacre

Dunki

Bomb in terms of what? It was well received and according to Coalition has a higher consistent player base than Gears 3 did..
I really thought in terms of sales. But I am just basing this on streamers, etc playing the game and how there ws no big hype, no news about dlc etc. It just looked like a game that just disappeared very fast.

At a show with h cyberpunk last of us Tsushima death stranding etc you have to have a terrible fever dream . E3 willl be a massacre

Last of Us will no doubt win awards but multiple games win tons of awards at E3. In 2015 Halo 5 won a bunch of awards, Sea of Thieves won a bunch of awards in both 2016 and 2017 too. No doubt Forza Horizon 4 is going to sweep

Also we have no idea what Ghost of Tsuhima will be and Sucker Punch, while a solid studio, isn't a top tier studio. They've always made solid games and nothing more

WaterAstro

The coalition is rumored to be doing 3 gears games now, so don't count on it.
Coalition is not big enough to make three games. I know the studio since it's nearby. It's about 200-250 members. Even if the two other games are small in scale, it's still not feasible for a studio that size.
Last of Us will no doubt win awards but multiple games win tons of awards at E3. In 2015 Halo 5 won a bunch of awards, Sea of Thieves won a bunch of awards in both 2016 and 2017 too. No doubt Forza Horizon 4 is going to sweep

Also we have no idea what Ghost of Tsuhima will be and Sucker Punch, while a solid studio, isn't a top tier studio. They've always made solid games and nothing more
After Evolve winning all the awards and hype for E3 2014, I don't really feel like E3 awards mean much. Pretty much Sea of Thieves is another good example. Controlled demos doesn't represent the full game well.

Last edited:

Diddy X

I would be okay with Creative Assembly developing the mentioned Gears' RTS, Halo Wars 2 was pretty good

sorry I just realized this has nothing to do with the topic lol

Last edited:

xool

Only listing stuff from first party studios. I don't believe any of those are first-party, am I wrong?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios#Owned_franchises_and_properties

If we're listing second and third-party games the lists will skew even more to PlayStation, but that wasn't what this thread was addressing.

Probably not totally fair to compare exclusives on the basis of first/third party, particularly as MS had had a much greater reliance on "subcontracted" exclusives. That's how they've been operating. There's some reasonable games there Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, etc ..

I think if they hadn't had so much self made bad luck their output would have been comparable.
[edit - it's not really all bad luck . alot is problems going back to chasing the kinect/GaaS/multiplayer dragon]

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's kinda like you're sleeping with a girl for like 4 years...she's met your family...has a coupla babies on the way (twins!) and like 8 months into the pregnancy you decide to marry her.

This is definitely a slow clap moment.

Good job Microsoft...let's try for some fruit that's a lil bit higher. (Buy Rocksteady)

Vawn

Banned
Probably not totally fair to compare exclusives on the basis of first/third party, particularly as MS had had a much greater reliance on "subcontracted" exclusives. That's how they've been operating. There's some reasonable games there Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, etc ..

I think if they hadn't had so much self made bad luck their output would have been comparable.
[edit - it's not really all bad luck . alot is problems going back to chasing the kinect/GaaS/multiplayer dragon]

I mean I could do a second party list and it'd be just as lopsided in favor of PS4. This thread was about first party studios though.

//DEVIL//

And I can't wait for all of them . But all of these games are not related to the best racing game this generation which is Forza horizon 3 .

Thanks btw for reminding me about tsushima . I was in love with the trailer. My perfect setting for a game as long as it doesn't include some sort of zombies and be more like tenshu

Ar¢tos

I understand the ps4 list triples when you add in second and third party exclusives, but unless I'm missing something just first party exclusives isn't close either.

I own all three, but I'm more of a PlayStation guy, so maybe I'm just missing some Xbox ips?

PS4 first party franchises

Uncharted
Last of Us
God of War
MLB The Show
inFamous
Ghost of Tsushima
Killzone
Horizon Zero Dawn
Tearaway
Little Big Planet
Dreams
Days Gone
Gran Turismo
Knack
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush

Xbox One First Party franchises

Forza/Forza Horizon
Gears of War
Halo/Halo Reach
Sea of Thieves

There are VR first party games that you didn't list. Rigs and that other VR shooter that bombed massively. There might be more, didn't they create a studio just for VR games?

CRAIG667

After reading through the comments section there are some right sad, hateful pathetic individuals here ffs!

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I'm the same. I'm waiting for them to be rename "Forza Studio" and the only thing they can do is a new Forza game or a new Forza Horizon.

Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong, but I'm not setting my expectation too high.
Well, no fear of that, seeing as how Playgrounds is now Forza Horizon AND Fable.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There are VR first party games that you didn't list. Rigs and that other VR shooter that bombed massively. There might be more, didn't they create a studio just for VR games?

Wait. Gravity Rush is a first party exclusive? It was developed by Project Siren...I don't remember Project Siren being a Sony based studio.

Edit: NVM it's part of Japan Studio...which is 1st party.

Also you forgot Jak and Dexter

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Makes sense, still no formal announcement of "Fable 4" - maybe at E3

[edit] It hasn't actually been bought has it. Having someone on the board doesn't mean they bought it..

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-could-acquire-playground-games/
Actually, there's a pretty credible insider named Matt who has revealed that Microsoft has acquired four new studios and more in the last couple of months. One of them being obviously, Playground Games. E3 is just around the corner.

And, you're right. It doesn't mean they've been bought but it can definitely mean they've bought a large stake (shares) within the company.

psn

If thats good for Playground Games, then I am happy for them. They are a very talented studio.

Microsoft on the other hand....

YAEiNkh.png

Thanks for nothing Microsoft, I just have a 400k connection with usually 45mb/s download. Still I'm sitting here since hours with a dead slow download speed. And it doesnt even load constantly, always pausing for some reason.

I bet it is much better in the US, but they dont seem to care about us europeans atm.

Vawn

Banned

I didn't list any PSVR or Kinect games.

Also you forgot Jak and Dexter

Haven't heard of that crossover. Is Jak a serial killer too?

But, there hasn't been a Jak and Daxter game this generation.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Lock up Forza Horizon sequels + rumored Fable 4.

Now it would be really nice to get Studio MHDR, Playdead, Capybara Games & Moon Studios.

Last edited:

Pallas

Noice!

Man MS is on that shopping spree life, github now the potential for this.

This may only be the beginning.

I’m reminded of those rumors earlier in the year about a possible acquisition of EA, Valve, etc. While I don’t believe that is going to happen, Microsoft may be on a spending spree with other studios.

Also, would really like to see a Dino Crisis reboot...

eso76

Can't wait to see what these guys can do besides racing.
I think they are among the best in the business and i have faith they can do just as well in other genres.

Hostile_18

Banned
Seems a bit strange to me unless they were in danger of the studio going multiplatform. Their platform won't directly benefit. It's a bit like if Sony bought Quantic Dream. Still at least no one is getting locked out of a franchise they already enjoy :).

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seems a bit strange to me unless they were in danger of the studio going multiplatform. Their platform won't directly benefit. It's a bit like if Sony bought Quantic Dream. Still at least no one is getting locked out of a franchise they already enjoy :).
I think it is a bit different, as Playground makes games that actually sell well.

Top Bottom