• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Tournament 2004 20 Years Later: An LGR Retrospective

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Revisiting UT2004 two decades later! This sequel to UT99 (er, UT2003?) from Epic Games and Digital Extremes was a staple of PC gaming in the 2000s, with the bombastic Onslaught mode being added to the classics of deathmatch, capture the flag, and so on. So let's review this classic FPS and dive into its predecessor, its gameplay, multiplayer, mods and more!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm still salty they took this off Steam and with no advanced warning too
Fuck you
Play fortnite

Same devs dude

Animated GIF

UT2004 is one of the best games I've ever played. I bought a special edition tin box version when it came out that came with a headset and other cool stuff. Truly an awesome game that should be remastered for current platforms.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I loved all UTs, especially the original. If only they remade that, damn... I’m still salty that they abandoned the UE4 UT for that abysmal Fortnite

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw this whole vid, it was great as I’m not familiar with the series. I’m a Quake guy but UT99 looked solid. And Unreal Championship 2 for Xbox always caught my eye at the store in middle school cuz the girl on the cover was freakin hot.

2139885-box_uc2.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had the Unreal collection with the OST sampler CD. I’d sit there and fight against bots. It was a good time. The music of these games was fantastic.

Last edited:

BigLee74

I miss these old shooters where you just played for the fun of it instead of having to unlock random shit and waiting on DLC.
Yep. Unfortunately, that’s why we don’t get them anymore. No recurring revenue after they’ve been initially sold. Exactly why UT4 got dropped like a hot potato when Fortnite took off.

Fatbody

I remember installing a demo for this off a disc that came in a computer gaming magazine. I played it for many hours but for some dumb reason I never got around to buying it. One of my top 10 gaming regrets. Now it’s gone forever. You’d think with all the money Fortnite makes that it would be inconsequential to keep their legacy titles up. Even just for historical purposes. But I doubt many of the people working at Epic now have played their legacy titles or even care about their history. A joke industry.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Great game & great engine, seemed to me like the apex of the pre-shader era doing everything with high density polycounts (many maps seemed to riddle every random wall surface with geometrical detail, bits and bobs) & high resolution textures instead of fancy effects like Doom 3, HL2 & later.

And yeah, the demo was nuts with some of the best maps like AS-Convoy, probably one of the most played multiplayer PC demos ever like Battlefield 1942's. Loved the mods like the return of XMP from Unreal 2 and quirky stuff like Metaball, though the Half-Life series reigned supreme in that area.

I'm not even much into multiplayer or specifically arena shooters of the sort, but like the video says even if you don't like half of it there's still a ton of stuff to like in the package. Still it made me at least try to get into it and train with ever increasing bot difficulties in DM duels & what not, good shit.

Nice video but it doesn't seem to do the maps justice, you might be just zipping by them as inconsequential backgrounds after learning the game a bit but they're epic and grand in scale (not just the onslaught maps) with their imposing great halls, bridges, pits, windows to space or what have you...

#FUCKEPIC

Last edited:

sono

“High Intensity Zen.” That heightened flow state where amidst the carnage, your reflexes increase, and your heart rate stays elevated without being distracting, keeping you in the zone as your mind forgets the existence of time..."

Ohhh Yeaahhh

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gamergate was selling the Unreal Collection for the longest time for $3. Glad I jumped on it back then.

I really should go back to play through Unreal. Never finished it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I remember installing a demo for this off a disc that came in a computer gaming magazine. I played it for many hours but for some dumb reason I never got around to buying it. One of my top 10 gaming regrets. Now it’s gone forever. You’d think with all the money Fortnite makes that it would be inconsequential to keep their legacy titles up. Even just for historical purposes. But I doubt many of the people working at Epic now have played their legacy titles or even care about their history. A joke industry.
Exact same happened with me. I was a poor college student at the time + stuck with Team Fortress Classic even though the UT demo was amazing. First thing I did after getting a real job out of college was buy a decent gaming computer + Unreal Tournament 2004.

Hudo

I love how they call Street Fighter 3 a disappointment of the year just to become a legendary SF title in the future.
It was because everything had to be 3D back then but 2D turned out to age better than those 3D titles in that time.
SF3 is actually one of the very few fighting games I like. Which is a pretty big "seal of quality" in my book. (I am not much of a fighting game guy, even though I like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies)

hinch7

One of the GOAT as arena shooters go. Might have to boot it up later on this evening and give it a go.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man, this game was absolutely incredible. This and UT99 were probably the most fun I’ve even had with PC gaming.

I’d love to set up a weekend where everyone in this thread plays some old arena shooters together. Of course, it’d be pretty depressing realizing how bad I am now compared to my teenage self lol.

lockdown2222

Neo Member
Man, this game was absolutely incredible. This and UT99 were probably the most fun I’ve even had with PC gaming.

I’d love to set up a weekend where everyone in this thread plays some old arena shooters together. Of course, it’d be pretty depressing realizing how bad I am now compared to my teenage self lol.
I’m in. I spent my middle school years and before that playing Unreal, UT99 and then 2k4. Prime gaming years. Great gaming communities and clans back then.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I love how they call Street Fighter 3 a disappointment of the year just to become a legendary SF title in the future.
It was because everything had to be 3D back then but 2D turned out to age better than those 3D titles in that time.
The legendary title was over two years later with SFIII: 3rd Strike though.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I remember buying the 6x CD version thinking it was the better choice than the 2x DVD version....
When it came to installing (<PLEASE INSERT DISC 3>) I realised how much of a dumb-dumb I am sometimes.

Top Bottom