• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unseen Beta 64 Web Site: Screw With Your Memories!

Boerseun

Banned
Shinobix said:

Much of Red Steel's development was done on the bog standard Gamecube development kit with the Wii controllers attached. If I remember correctly, the team only switched to the Wii development kit a few months before the game's release.

Many of the other early Wii games had the same problem, as Nintendo was quite late in delivering final spec kits to developers.

Linkzg said:
linkoriginaldesign.jpg

The top left picture, it would have been amazing like that!

EW. Hell no! This looks like the shit I wiped from my ass a while ago. The art is sooooooo bad. UGH!
Theres a reason why they chose child Link instead. Lesser of the 2 retards.

http://xoomer.alice.it/mononline/unseen/gamecube/retroactionadvent.htm

Whoa! Those are awesome designs. That one german looking soldier kinda reminds me of the Soldier from tf2. I wouldnt mind if their new game was based on those concepts.

GeneralIroh said:
EW. Hell no! This looks like the shit I wiped from my ass a while ago. The art is sooooooo bad. UGH!
Theres a reason why they chose child Link instead. Lesser of the 2 retards.

http://xoomer.alice.it/mononline/unseen/gamecube/retroactionadvent.htm

Whoa! Those are awesome designs. That one german looking soldier kinda reminds me of the Soldier from tf2. I wouldnt mind if their new game was based on those concepts.

wow, I posted that almost a year ago, why the hell was this thread bumped.

and looking at it now, it would be bad, but I want celshaded with more detail in general for the next zelda game.

camineet

Banned
RaidenZR said:
The Square stuff and Phantasy Star V lost games are pretty cool too. Now my head hurts.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Phantasy Star 5?

I weep.

I still wish to see a new Phantasy Star JRPG instead of this online stuff.

no no no no, :) that was the original planned Phantasy Star IV (not V).

The true Phantasy Star IV was never released. It was going to be on CD, perhaps both CD and cartridge. it was subtitled "The Return of Alis".

the Phantasy Star "IV" game that Sega released on cartridge in 1993 in Japan and 1995 in U.S. was not called Phantasy Star IV in Japan, it was Phantasy Star: End Of The Millenium

it's more like Phantasy Star 2.5

as for Phantasy Star V, there was not much known about it. other than it would be a 32-bit Phantasy Star on Saturn. sometimes rumored to be called Phantasy Earth.

camineet

Banned
check this out about Phantasy Star IV:

The vast majority of gamers, and even hardcore fans of the series think of
Phantasy Star: The End of the Millenium, as being Phantasy Star IV.

Yet actually the truth is, the game most think of as Phantasy Star IV,
is not titled IV at all. at least in Japan or the United States.

phanstar4-logo.gif

more importantly, if you care to know what really happened that is,
the original true Phantasy Star IV was never finished & released at all.

I found this to be pretty interesting;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star:_The_End_of_the_Millennium

Originally, Phantasy Star IV was to have been designed for the Sega CD system, and would have been vastly different from its final incarnation. Features like 3-D dungeons (such as those featured in the first Phantasy Star), full motion video cutscenes, voice acting, and much more were planned. Unfortunately, poor sales and lack of support for the Sega CD platform caused a change of plans midway through development. Most of these features were scrapped from the final design, and the end result was a Sega Genesis cartridge game that bore little resemblance to the original plans

http://www.phantasystarwiki.com/index.php?title=Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_Return_of_Alis

Phantasy Star IV: The Return of Alis

Perhaps one of the least-known titles in the Phantasy Star franchise - Phantasy Star IV never saw a commercial release. Developed within Sonic Team shortly after the release of Phantasy Star III - Phantasy Star IV was to be the magnum opus of the Phantasy Star series for it's time. A game so large, that the only medium which could justifiably hold it was the Sega CD (though a stripped down Genesis version was also planned). It originally weighed in at over 240MB, much of which was fully digitalized music and FMV cutscenes. Though it also sported game maps 20 times the size of previous games and highly detailed 3D dungeon sequences similar to the first game.

Unfortunately, due to sagging sales of the Sega CD and numerous delays in the project - Phantasy Star IV was eventually scrapped and production resources were transfered to Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium.

Had Phantasy Star IV been allowed to finish development, it would have followed the events of Phantasy Star III and the continuing struggle against Dark Force. It's a fairly safe bet that at some point, Alis Landale would have made a return as well. Though part of the game still lives on through Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium. For example, the anime cutscenes which some consider to be the birth cries of modern FMV cutscenes, were inspired by the actual FMV cutscenes of it's unreleased companion.

http://cheats.ign.com/objects/816/816198.html

Phantasy Star IV: The Return of Alis
Also known as: Phantasy Star 4: The Return of Alis

The planned fourth game in the Phantasy Star universe (not necessarily the same as Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium -- the game went through numerous changes in production), this title was originally planned for Sega Genesis and the new Sega CD, and was rumored to follow the story immediately after Phantasy Star III and the further terrors of the Dark Force. The game was designed to feature audio and video on the CD, with a game world 20 times that of previous entries, and ambitious upgrades in the 3D dungeon technology. It was unfortunately never released in this particular form, either on Genesis or Sega CD.

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=SegaBase+Sega+CD

In terms of software, the biggest news by far was with the Phantasy Star RPG series - the closest thing Sega had to Square's Final Fantasy franchise - with two Mega CD titles announced as being in development. The more notable of the two was the all-new title The Return of Alis, which was to take place immediately after the events depicted in
Phantasy Star 3 and tell the story of the fight against a revival of the intergalactic slave trade. This new installment in the saga would be 20 times the size of the earlier game and would incorporate bothaudio and anime clips.

Sega cancelled the planned Sega CD release of Phantasy Star 4, opting instead for a cartridge-based Genesis game that bore little resemblance to its original Sega CD concept.

the above is from the web, put online within the last 5-7 years.

below is from print magazines back in the day.

going back to 1991, well after PSIII had been released in Japan (in 1990) and just before PSIII's U.S. release, the publisher of EGM published a screenshot of what was believed to be the next PS game, in their all-Sega magazine, Mega Play.

(mods please note the magazine pics below are 15-16 years old)

unconfirmed, possible picture of prototype Phantasy Star IV for Genesis or SegaCD;
n680_1188161665_prototype_phantasystar4.jpg

just over a year later, July 1992, GamePro had an article on SegaCD that mentioned Phantasy Star IV: The Return of Alis for both Genesis and SegaCD.

h5ia_1188072580_SegaCDPSIV.jpg

it is absolutely obvious & clear to me that we never got to play the
"true Phantasy Star IV", either on Genesis cartridge or SegaCD. what a shame.

as good as the 24-meg cartridge Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium was,
(a huge improvement over PSIII) it still wasn't the game I had been expecting.

I know I am not the only one who knows about this & feels this way, as you can see here in this USENET post about the very same thing.

okay Phantasy Star phans, are you surprised by any of this ?

element

I don't understand why this game never came out. =s
MS and the developer Tremor had a major fallout. I think MS even sued the developer. There was talk about handing development to another developer, but the decided to just kill the game.

It actually was pretty sweet game too. Far different then anything MS was doing at that time.

Top Bottom