• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unsolved Mysteries: GAF Edition

This thread is about Unsolved Mysteries in videogames, old or new. Stuff that are in games that were officially released, but that leave you scratching your head as to how or why they were released in such a state, or what could possibly have happened...

I'll start with Mach Rider on NES.

I fondly remember playing this game as a kid... but something always bothered me about it... How could Nintendo possibly release a game that has two non-functional options that do nothing except freeze the game?

I'm talking about the Save and Load options in the track editor. They just don't work. All they do is freeze the game. And it seems the cartridge doesn't even have a battery to save anything.

I really wonder what happened there...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Was error a good or a bad guy? How come no matter how many times I tried to downslash him he wouldn't die? If the wizard in the cave was invincible, how come he didn't just defeat Gannon himself?

lyre

AtomicShroom said:
I'm talking about the Save and Load options in the track editor. They just don't work. All they do is freeze the game. And it seems the cartridge doesn't even have a battery to save anything.

I wondered about that too. So obvious solution is archane medieval magics. Either that or a really rushed and really sloppy localisation. They probably didn't do anything to the game other than take out the battery to save a penny or two. Still a fun game though for its time.

briefcasemanx said:
Was error a good or a bad guy? How come no matter how many times I tried to downslash him he wouldn't die? If the wizard in the cave was invincible, how come he didn't just defeat Gannon himself?
He was Link's father. And Gannon is a terrible football player. Ganon on the other hand is already dead in the game. No need to worry about dead things unless Zelda 2 takes place in Raccoon City.

And for myself, Chrono series is dead now. Why can't gamers just let it go already! It's NOT coming back.

:)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
How was Lucas Barton able to play so well using the Power Glove for Rad Racer in the move The Wizard? I couldn't even use that piece of shit peripheral to knock out ****ing Glass Joe. Does practice make perfect, or was Lucas faking that funk?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Robert_Stack.jpg

Tonight, on Unsolved Mysteries: GAF

Rydias

"You must save the princess...Zelda is your..." *DEAD*

What was your uncle trying to tell you? And why did this line disappear on the GBA version ONLY to reappear in the same game during the bonus dungeon?

And who was Chris Hoolihan anyway?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Rydias said:

What was your uncle trying to tell you? And why did this line disappear on the GBA version ONLY to reappear in the same game during the bonus dungeon?
?

that's a real mind twister... someone post some ninty statements or what evah....

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Rydias said:

yeah i wonder about that too. stupid.

MrDaravon

AtomicShroom said:
This thread is about Unsolved Mysteries in videogames, old or new. Stuff that are in games that were officially released, but that leave you scratching your head as to how or why they were released in such a state, or what could possibly have happened...

I fondly remember playing this game as a kid... but something always bothered me about it... How could Nintendo possibly release a game that has two non-functional options that do nothing except freeze the game?

I'm pretty sure I checked the manual at the time and the Save/load thing were for some kind of disk add-on for the NES that never came out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rydias said:

From what I remember Chris Hoolihan was the winner of some Nintendo Power contest and thus as his grand prize got that super secret bonus area named after him.

Has anyone actually beat Gauntlet on the NES in one sitting? Why would the developers make a game that has no password or save system and took so long that you could never beat it in one sitting?

*Edit: Shit I am thinking of the arcade version.

Rydias

Shard said:
From what I remember Chris Hoolihan was the winner of some Nintendo Power contest and thus as his grand prize got thast super secret bonus area named after him.

You got it. :)

MrDaravon

Found a scan of the Mach Rider manual, I was mostly right. This is exactly what it says:

Note: Save and load menu selections are not operable in this game; they have been programmed in for potential product developments.

bengraven

SailorDaravon said:
Note: Save and load menu selections are not operable in this game; they have been programmed in for potential product developments.

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT! When, Nintendo, when?

shuri

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
Has anyone actually beat Gauntlet on the NES in one sitting? Why would the developers make a game that has no password or save system and took so long that you could never beat it in one sitting?

*Edit: Shit I am thinking of the arcade version.
I dont think theres an ending to Gauntlet.

Chris Houlihan was a contest winner from Nintendo Power, I think. ("Get your name in the game." What they didn't tell him that it'd be in the debug glitch catch room.) There's plenty of places to find info about it.

AtomicShroom said:

Probably the exact same thing that happened to Excitebike: fairly straight port from the Famicom Disc System version, which could save to diskette?

They didn't even edit it out when they released the e-Reader version, even when they were off fixing text in other games. It wasn't until the Classic NES series release that you could actually save and load your track in the US. It was funny to see people complain, "ZOMG you can only save one track LAME..." (because you know it was totally realistic to expect new features or complicated jury-rigging hacked into NES ROMs as part of a semi-budget low effort "classics" release series), and I was just happy because you actually COULD save it for once. Still waited until I could get it for $10 or so, though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rydias said:

I'm quoting this because I demand it to be solved!

edit: Here's what I found on wiki.

Early in the game, Link's uncle says "Zelda is your..." before falling unconscious. This caused some people to speculate that the full sentence would have read "Zelda is your sister", possibly in relation to the film Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (less popular sentence endings included "ally" and "only hope"). The Japanese version of the game confirms that the translation of the sentence should have read, "Zelda is your destiny". The later GBA release would alter the text to read "It is your destiny to save Zelda".

DeadTrees

shuri said:
I dont think theres an ending to Gauntlet.
The Tengen conversion/remake/whatever of Gauntlet for the NES did have a (crap) ending, after exiting the final, password-protected level. Yeah, you had to beat it all in one sitting. Playing as the elf with maxed-out speed helped.

Killer 7 is one big unsolved mystery to me. I mean... What the heck was that ?

Other than that, there is the classic Marathon Man in Zelda OoT . Why the hell would you want to set a challenge in a game that the player couldn't win ? Is there a hidden message here ? Is this to make the player look like an obstinated fool ? After all, is he definitely invincible ?
emotiiamny8.gif

bjork

I played MAME gauntlet for hours, I don't think there's an end. I think they just tossed one onto the NES one so no one got killed :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
is there an end to excit......well, as my dumbass 7 year old friends called it "excitAbike"? It seemed like the last levels just kept repeating????????

Rydias

Maybe the coin conundrum is darker than we think. Perhaps the coins, also used to "buy" another life, are in some mystical relevance to the mythology behind the River Styx and Charon the boatman who charged to take the dead to the other side (a coin was left under the tongue of the deceased so they could make such a journey).

So perhaps the coins are used as bribes that "buy more time" for Mario while he lives/swims.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
briefcasemanx said:
is there an end to excit......well, as my dumbass 7 year old friends called it "excitAbike"?

That's what my brother called it, too. What a fool he is.

The mystery I need solved is what was the point of Riddle of the Sphinx on the 2600. A friend, maybe I should say "friend," gave it to me and I could never figure out what the **** was going on. What an awful game.

Hellraizah

Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2
Image:Pal4.jpg

From Wikipedia :
The unfinished Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2 is a cavern filled with jewels. It has been compared to Sonic the Hedgehog 3's Ice Cap Zone due to graphical similarities. Hidden Palace took its name from the underground cavern near Mt. Arakai in central Japan. It too is filled with precious stones, as well as ancient rock formations.[citation needed]

In the beta version of Sonic 2 (which is publicly available and playable on an emulator as it was stolen from a game show in 1992), Hidden Palace is an incomplete level. Act 2 starts with Sonic stuck inside a wall, and using the debug mode to move Sonic outside the wall reveals that the act is identical to Act 1, but without any objects. Act 1 cannot be completed at all, as it has no end level signpost or capsule. Using debug mode allows the player to get into a second part of the level, due to a steep slope that cannot be climbed up, and even when climbed up reaches to the top of the level map and leads no further. Sonic Research Zone has found that if you used debug to place a platform on this slope, Sonic can walk up the slope as if it were flat ground.

The level was one of the earliest shown to the public during production of the game. It appeared alongside the famous Desert Zone in two mock-up images that were some of the first, if not the first, shown for the game. The area in the mock-up is found in the beta, and via ROM hacking, the rhino and tricerotops badniks were also found to still be present in the game data. The game was continually used in promotion for some time. Time issues have been stated for the reason for cutting the level as has fun factor.

There are three areas that cannot be reached without Debug: a small underwater area that leads to an item box shortly after you leave the tube is under a patch of green floor (which is different to the rest and looks similar to the breakable areas of floor in the Marble Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog), a tube that leads to death below the large emerald, and an area past the slope that cannot be ran up. The latter is assumed to be the top of that slope. It has water slides on it like some areas of the Labyrinth Zone, but Sonic does not slide down the water. At one end is the top of the slope, and at the other just water and an empty space that leads to the edge of the map. A fourth area is in fact accessible without debug, though it is just very hard, requiring you to jump to a platform directly below the one you are standing on. It has been suggested that a bridge would have been put there.

The level features a large emerald above a tube, which has caused much confusion and speculation, as many have confused it with the Master Emerald, the large emerald guarded by Knuckles the Echidna that keeps the Angel Island afloat, leading to various speculations including Knuckles being planned for Sonic 2 and Tails being the guardian of the Master Emerald in Sonic 2. The level designer, however, revealed that it was simply just a breakable object, similar to the rocks in the Hill Top Zone or Angel Island Zone, only with a purpose.

There is one extra life item box in the level, and it is a Tails icon box, leading some to speculate that the level was a Tails Only level. However, suggestions have been made that the level was also connected to Super Sonic; one by a member of the Sonic 2 team.

Pieces of HPZ are left in the finished Sonic 2 game, including the music (Sound test #10), the sprite layout and code, the title card, the palette, the level select icon (which also appears in Sonic the Hedgehog 3's level select along with all the other Sonic 2 level select icons), and parts of the level data (including size, bounds, and water). Using a Game Genie or mod through emulation, one can enter the zone in the final version. However, the art itself has been removed, and so this results in a glitchy-looking (though still playable) screen causing Sonic to immediately fall to his death.

When the Beta was made public, the appearance of Hidden Palace caused an uproar in the hacking community, which eventually resulted in it being restored to full playability in the fanmade hack, Sonic 2: Long Version, complete with an Act 2 boss that behaves in a way similar to the one in Mystic Cave Zone.

I searched for it A LOT back in the days. Saw some pictures in EGM.

Also, all the hidden characters in MK 1 and 2 (Noob Saibot and Ermac), EGM was making up rumors with them.

shuri said:
Has anyone actually ever finished Kid Niki nes without cheating, or emulators?
More times than I care to count, I mastered that game over a couple months as a kid.

I was even tempted to write an FAQ for Gamefaqs when I realized none of the info currently posted there includes the hidden areas where you can find a scroll upgrading your "Ninja Gi" from Red to White, which lets you take an extra hit without dying.

And even now, all these years later...I still hate the bubbles. Oh, how I hate them.

Fewr

What is Chris Houlihan doing right now? Does he still play games? Is he married? Is he gay?

Is he alive?

Top Bottom