• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Untethered VR Comes To Xbox One: Watch Titanfall On The Ascend Prototype

mocoworm

[EDIT] I have edited the title to include PS4 and PC. The article says XONE in the header so I didn't realise it was for all formats.

This sounds ... interesting?

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/07/unt...-one-watch-titanfall-on-the-ascend-prototype/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcmROT5ZQk

While Microsoft is unwilling to be pinned down on exactly what the virtual reality (VR) strategy is for the Xbox One X, despite having previously announced plans to incorporate the technology last year, it seems that demand for the technology amongst gamers remains high. As such, MVR Global has picked up the mantel with the upcoming Ascend head-mounted display (HMD).

The Ascend HMD is a multi-format device, aiming to bring an untethered experience to gamers on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC and beyond. The device can manipulate the output of existing videogames for display on the HMD's screen, codenamed the S1, and return input via the HMD's motion-tracking sensor. This results in a product that can be developed for specifically, or simply added into an existing project. Furthermore, it can also be seen in prototype format working with Electronic Arts' hugely popular Titanfall for Xbox One in the VRFocus exclusive video below.

MVR Global's crowdfunding campaign is off to a very good start, with more than £100,000 GBP of its £500,000 funding goal already achieved. The device has 24 days remaining in its campaign, which is using the Crowdcube funding platform and offering a pre-funding valuation of £3,500,000. This results in those who contribute becoming investors in the project and receiving a small amount of equity, opposed to simply ‘donating' their money in the same fashion as Kickstarter or similar crowdfunding portals.

The exclusive video featuring Titanfall on the prototype Ascend hardware can be seen below, and of course VRFocus will keep you updated with all the latest details on the project from MVR Global.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcmROT5ZQk

Tain

This... This won't lead to good results. Without being able to actually affect the software, this will be highly uncomfortable. And how do they plan on getting stereoscopic visuals out of a standard finished frame?

collige

Banned
The device can manipulate the output of existing videogames for display on the HMD’s screen, codenamed the S1, and return input via the HMD’s motion-tracking sensor.
I call bullshit. VorpX barely managed to function doing the same thing on PC, much less locked down consoles. The fact that they don't have stereoscopic 3D for their prototype is even more damning.

Elandyll

Banned
Unless I read wrong, that's not VR. It's a head mounted display that can replace a controller in terms of inputs?

nynt9

Yeah, no. Both the article and OP jumped the gun. This isn't VR. And it won't work well on a console unless the game is specifically designed for this device to support it.

Blam

Yeah, no. Both the article and OP jumped the gun. This isn't VR. And it won't work well on a console unless the game is specifically designed for this device to support it.

I mean shit doesn't even seem like it's running on 144hz screens. Also their "prototype" isn't even dual screens. I feel like this is more along the lines of that one headset Sony did which was not a VR headset but just screens infront of your eyes.

Top Bottom