• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Five Years Later - A Survival Horror Masterpiece

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The survival horror classics of yesteryear are always fun to contemplate, and their importance cannot be understated as you can still clearly still see their influence shaping modern horror games today. That said, that influence and that inspiration led to many fantastic horror video games in the modern era as well. Games that stand on their own and carve out new paths for future games to continue to iterate upon. Many of which could arguably be considered as modern equivalents of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and the like, just for a different era.

One such game is the delightful Until Dawn, a game that, on paper, might not sound all that original or compelling, but as an actual finished product, ending up ensnaring it’s players in a twisted tale of bloodshed, betrayal, and bodycount. Despite it being from a fairly small studio, locked on only one console, and obscured by seemingly nonexistent marketing back in 2015, Until Dawn quickly became a cult hit and would slowly creep into the hallways of mainstream horror classics over time as more and more people got their hands on it.

PS Plus subscribers who missed out on it early on would eventually get a chance to play it as part of the monthly free games that PS4 offers later on, and from that point it has widely been regarded as a horror classic if not a masterpiece.

teezzy

Banned
Best PS4 exclusive and the only one apart from Last Guardian I'm bummed I cant play on PC or Xbox tbh

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
What a great game. I am a sucker for isolated setting horror movies etc and this game just absolutely nails it.
Great atmosphere, campy fun, wild ride and some good scares. Yupe, a game to remember.
Shame that supermassive games has not reached those highs again.

Fahdis

Ok, which one of you plebs were thirsty for Jess and let her die cause of your shit tier reaction timing? ADMIT IT. IT WAS ALL OF YOU!

Kusarigama

Thoroughly entertaining game, one of my favs on PS4. The butterfly effect feature was neat letting us know that there could have been some unknown other way for certain situations to play out.

Fantastic game. One of the best games of the generation for me. Such a fun, schlocky teen horror story, but presenting the player with truly open-ended gameplay choices that truly elevates the overall experience.

Easily Supermassive's best game, and the best non-Quantic Dream, Quantic Dream game ever made (tied with Omikron the Nomad Soul).

Top Bottom