• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn for PS5 and PC Revealed | State of Play Trailer

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's still Bloodborne.

Sony:

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
RE MAKES
HD PORTS

GAMES THAT YOU'VE SEEN BEFORE
ON THE PS3 AND THE PS4

69 DOLLAR CONSOLE GAME
No one gives a shit about your opinion of this game.

I cared ZERO for this when it came out. This one is actually ammending some of that and giving me good ole school vibes. We are lacking that these days in the age of new remakes of old classics like RE 1-3.

JaksGhost

This must be Project Bates. From earlier findings it seems that it may involve some actors doing mo-cap again for it.

I don't recall ever seeing any threads or posts of people begging for a remaster of this game but Bloodborne gets mentioned daily and still nothing!?

What the fuck is going on?

This looks well made though.

//DEVIL//

They give us this over bloodborne, GoT, GoW:R, GT7 then they wonder why their PC sales is going down the drain.

Because You are Idiots ? every monkey of you in the management office

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To me, the original/remake comparisons shown here are literally the definition of "generational leap" - because that's exactly what this is. Sure the original still holds up incredibly well, despite being graphically dated. Tons of games do.

CamHostage

Should have kept Decima.

Oh yeah, huh?
I was thinking the previous version was in UE4 and so this was a vertical conversion, but this is a full commitment port to switch engines. (What makes it weirder that they bothered with a conversion is that Decima has had games ported to PC several times now, but maybe the custom work was just not compatible anymore or not documented well enough to rework into the remaster.)

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I don't recall ever seeing any threads or posts of people begging for a remaster of this game but Bloodborne gets mentioned daily and still nothing!?
Looking at how they've started to greenlight quite a lot of remakes ever since the launch of the PS5 and Demon's Souls in 2020, I'm led to believe that the metrics do indicate that ground-up remakes do better on the market than simple remasters.

Hence why Until Dawn is getting remade and why, I think, work on a Bloodborne remaster has been scrapped in favor of a full remake, coming 2025/6.

Jesb

I absolutely loved this game on PS4. But I’m not really sure what they will do with this since it looks so good to me already. Would be a great candidate for VR. Missed opportunity. That would really entice me to get VR.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I absolutely loved this game on PS4. But I’m not really sure what they will do with this since it looks so good to me already. Would be a great candidate for VR. Missed opportunity. That would really entice me to get VR.
This did get a spin off game on PSVR1 - Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. Similar setting, but very different type of game.

Looking at how they've started to greenlight quite a lot of remakes ever since the launch of the PS5 and Demon's Souls in 2020, I'm led to believe that the metrics do indicate that ground-up remakes do better on the market than simple remasters.

Hence why Until Dawn is getting remade and why, I think, work on a Bloodborne remaster has been scrapped in favor of a full remake, coming 2025/6.
I shall remain hopeful.

Yeah the original still holds up well on the ps5. Unlocked framerate too if you care about that. Wonder if they will tease the sequel in the end credits in this new version.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I could only imagine if m$ would do something like this, but PS gets the pass

Halo: Master Chief Collection? Gears of War: Ultimate Edition?

They all do it, and it’s fine. I actually love when older games I love get this remake/remaster treatment.

bitbydeath

"Rebuilt" for PS5. Would have been nice if they explained exactly what was "rebuilt".
Blog has details:

Until Dawn has been rebuilt with the latest tools and techniques. New and improved animations build on the success of the original character performances. Characters, environments and VFX have been upgraded – all for a truly enhanced cinematic horror experience.
We use a broader cinematic tonal colour palette and new perspectives to make the story more nuanced and emotional. We’ve been brave enough to shine a light into the dark, unseen corners of Blackwood Mountain and added a third-person camera, which means you can now look behind the curtain of the original game, exploring enhanced and new locations with new interactions and collectables.
Incorporating a third-person camera and adding contextual character movement animations, the game now allows the player to really feel the experience of that fateful night.
Until Dawn’s sound has undergone a massive overhaul too, featuring a new score from legendary horror composer Mark Korven.
We’ve endeavoured to keep the fantastic narrative integratory of the original, but we have seized the opportunity to expand upon unexplored emotional parts of the story.

Quite a huge upgrade.

Last edited:
Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously, look at the clown mask guy photos posted. The detail of the dirt on the mask, the texture map of the teeth, etc. Night and day.
Frankly, it's a little ridicolous : the mask is supposed to be some cheap Halloween costume, not a creature.
I don't see that huge to be honest. PS4 still holds damn well.
You don't see how dated look thee original? You can even see her BRA ! Luckily the progress in technology have spared us this archaic vision...

I don't think you're remembering just how dated the original looks nowadays.

Original:

53500474717_8ddebe7388_o.png

Remake:

ss_7f8154ba8de5e5823e935dabb10a4e5e7ac010da.jpg

Original:

53501360416_accdcc4204_o.png

Remake:

ss_ba9ea9c933bf12c95f432a4fbd03d458f9d00270.jpg

It's a huge, huge improvement.
To be honest, the original looks better to me. The first picture in the original reminds me of watching Buffy: The Vampire Slayer while the picture from the remaster looks like uncanny valley face scan CG ala Heavy Rain with high resolution textures. The second picture in the original looks like cam footage from the 2000s, while the new one looks like a modern Rob Zombie film. If the faces are not on screen the high fidelity assets look better, but given the setting it breaks immersion a bit. Reminds me why some films use outdated techniques to emulate older cinematics.

Last edited:

Kupfer

From Playstation.Blog.
We use a broader cinematic tonal colour palette and new perspectives to make the story more nuanced and emotional. We’ve been brave enough to shine a light into the dark, unseen corners of Blackwood Mountain and added a third-person camera, which means you can now look behind the curtain of the original game, exploring enhanced and new locations with new interactions and collectables.
So it doesn't seem to be a 1 to 1 copy in 4k after all

EDIT:
Comparison
HCOmtWv.jpg

Also the new psycho mask
AGYxewp.jpg

I have to say that until I saw the comparisons, I thought it was unnecessary to release a remake, as I remember the graphics looking the same as the new version. The old version actually looks a bit dated side by side.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I don't see that huge to be honest. PS4 still holds damn well.
Until Dawn looked rough even on PS4. It was apparently developed on PS3 for PS Move and then Sony made a decision to port it to PS4

When you will look at the scenes from the original and remake side by side, you can see some differences. That being said, I do agree it feels very pointless. I would rather see them doing Until Dawn 2 with a new cast and a new setting

Kupfer

Until Dawn looked rough even on PS4. It was apparently developed on PS3 for PS Move and then Sony made a decision to port it to PS4

When you will look at the scenes from the original and remake side by side, you can see some differences. That being said, I do agree it feels very pointless. I would rather see them doing Until Dawn 2 with a new cast and a new setting
Will probably happen. The remake and the Until Dawn movie will attract a whole new generation of gamers to the IP. When Until Dawn released, many today's potential customers were children <10yo. These players need to be milked.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Will probably happen. The remake and the Until Dawn movie will attract a whole new generation of gamers to the IP. When Until Dawn released, many today's potential customers were children <10yo. These players need to be milked.
Eh, I still think it's pretty much pointless to remake 9 year old game that you can play on PS5 through backwards compatibility

I just feel remakes that makes more sense are games that were released at least two generations ago or ones you can't play on modern consoles

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Remakes never not (yes, double negative :p ) make sense because they are an option. Don't want? Don't buy. Everyone else will be happy to pick it up or have the option to.

Always a simple concept.

From Playstation.Blog.

So it doesn't seem to be a 1 to 1 copy in 4k after all

EDIT:
Comparison
HCOmtWv.jpg

Also the new psycho mask
AGYxewp.jpg

I have to say that until I saw the comparisons, I thought it was unnecessary to release a remake, as I remember the graphics looking the same as the new version. The old version actually looks a bit dated side by side.
Dat shimmering on PS5 though. I hate that.

Shakka43

Remakes never not (yes, double negative :p ) make sense because they are an option. Don't want? Don't buy. Everyone else will be happy to pick it up or have the option to.

Always a simple concept.
As long as they don't delist the original versions (like Rockstar did with GTA Trilogy) I'm all up for more remakes/remasters and will support all the ones for my favorite games.

Top Bottom