• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Video Game Anime

FluxWaveZ

I got to thinking about upcoming anime projects which are adaptations or based off of video games, and I realized there are several noteworthy highlights.

Ace Attorney
CWj6kPvVEAAaTCh.jpg:orig
  • Date: April 2016
  • Studio: A-1 Pictures (Persona 4 The Golden: Animation, Valkyria Chronicles)
  • Director: Ayumu Watanabe (Space Brothers, Doraemon movies)
  • Composer: Kaoru Wada (Inuyasha, Casshern Sins)
Stated to encompass the events of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney: Justice for All, Capcom's finally making the first anime adaptation of this series for its 15th anniversary.

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak
  • Date: 2016
  • Studio: Lerche (Persona 4: The Animation, Danganronpa: The Animation)
  • Director: Seiji Kishi (Persona 4: The Animation, Danganronpa: The Animation)
  • Composer: Masafumi Takada (Danganronpa composer, The Evil Within)
Releasing in conjunction with New Danganronpa V3, Danganronpa 3 is an original story and the direct sequel to Danganronpa 2, taking place immediately after the events of that game.

Persona 5 TV Anime Special
  • Date: TBA
  • Studio: TBA
  • Director: TBA
  • Composer: TBA
All that's been said for this is that there will be a special Persona 5 anime scheduled for broadcast, alongside the series' 20th anniversary and the upcoming game. Presumably a 2016 release.

Gravity Daze/Rush Special Animation
  • Date: 2016
  • Studio: TBA
  • Director: TBA
  • Composer: TBA
With Gravity Rush 2 slated for release in 2016, a "special animation" for Gravity Rush was also announced. It'll take place between the first and second game (in an interval of several months) and "a very good production company" is working on it.

Those are the ones I'm most looking forward to, but others that have been announced so far include:

1. Steins;Gate 0
  2. Granblue Fantasy
  3. Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON
  4. Tales of Zestiria the X
  5. The Snack World
Any that people are particularly looking forward to, or any notable ones that I haven't mentioned? The ones I'm looking forward to have potential, especially Danganronpa 3 which is a rather interesting situation with a game series trilogy finally being wrapped up with an anime series and not another game.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
So excited for the Danganronpa anime. It sucks how the next game won't continue the over arching plot but it should be cool in anime form.

JoseLopez

These anime adaptations for most part are kinda pointless unless you don't play games and in my experience their super cheap I.e p4 the animation but it's good marketing for games I guess.

Oh man first I've heard about a Persona 5 Special. That's something to look forward to!

Definitely excited for Gravity Rush's special as well.

Skeptical how they'll fit that much into the Ace Attorney anime, but I'll check it out when it airs if I can.

Sakura

Not looking forward to them, but for future anime there is the FSN Heaven's Feel anime movie, PSO2 anime (though I suppose it doesn't have the same story as the game), and Rewrite anime.

Nachos

These anime adaptations for most part are kinda pointless unless you don't play games and in my experience their super cheap I.e p4 the animation but it's good marketing for games I guess.
All of them except for the Ace Attorney anime are likely to be additional material not covered in the games themselves. In DR3's case, it's actually being billed as the conclusion to the storyline built up in the previous games, because the actually 3rd game appears to be doing something else entirely.

yaffi

But P4 The Animation is/was ace!

ranmafan

Certainly looking forward to Steins;Gate 0 when it comes out. Will most likely watch the others listed as well eventually.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Not looking forward to them, but for future anime there is the Unlimited Blade Works anime movie, PSO2 anime (though I suppose it doesn't have the same story as the game), and Rewrite anime.
Please no more Fate Stay Night adaptations. They just keep messing it up. It's fine as a VN. Just stop ruining its reputation with flanderzation and half assed attempts.

Thoraxes

That's right, the Persona 3 The Movie adaptation series has been fantastic so far, and I'm looking forward to being able to see movie #3 and #4.

Bluray for volume 3 should be hitting Western shores on January 20th, 2016, iirc.

Kinda excited for it!

Alfredo

I'm of the opinion that most all anime adaptations are hot garbage. Be it from a manga or a video game or whatever, they're inferior works: watered-down experiences made on crap budgets.

However, they absolutely give the IP they're based on a boost in popularity, bringing in a wider audience and possibly funding new games in the series and some cool merch.

I remember when I first started going to anime conventions and having a hard time finding Persona cosplayers. It seemed to be a niche thing. Then the P4 anime comes out and, BOOM, Persona cosplayers EVERYWHERE.

I hope the Phoenix Wright anime gives the Ace Attorney series a huge boost, and I start seeing more cosplay at cons. :D

I still hate that they're concluding the original Danganronpa story with an anime, though. D:

Gravity Rush anime will be compulsory viewing for me. I'll watch the Danganronpa anime so long as it features actually animation this time, and not just characters standing around statically for long periods of time while the only thing that moves is their mouths

Marow

Good director and timeslot for Ace Attorney makes me optimistic. Looking forward to it.

... why Yuki Kaji as Phoenix Wright, though? Such a weird choice.

I think Steins;Gate was the only Anime based off a videogame I've seen so far and it was great. It managed to actually exploit the potential of time traveling and created a complex (and at times hard to follow) storyline by implementing this aspect in very smart ways, which I cannot say about many stories out there. Looking at you Life Is Strange.

I'm not a big fan of adaptions and I also haven't played a single game the OP mentioned but Ace Attorney has always had my interest and I like Anime, which is why I'll give it a shot. I just hope it's going to be Seinen. Cannot bring myself to watch most of today's Shounen stuff out there.

Bowlie

Banned
Ace Attorney[/B]

1. Steins;Gate 0
  2. Granblue Fantasy
  3. Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON
  4. Tales of Zestiria the X
  5. The Snack World
Any that people are particularly looking forward to, or any notable ones that I haven't mentioned? The ones I'm looking forward to have potential, especially Danganronpa 3 which is a rather interesting situation with a game series trilogy finally being wrapped up with an anime series and not another game.

Huh, I didn't know they would do a ToZ anime; I thought that it would be only that OVA that shows the first hours of the game. (Maybe it's kinda late? We've all given time to play and learn that it's not as good as the previous ones; I'd be more hyped to watch it if it came out at the same time)

I'm pumped up for P5 anime, though, your mention took me by surprise. Let's hope it's more like the P3 movies than the P4 animation in terms of quality.

JoseLopez

All of them except for the Ace Attorney anime are likely to be additional material not covered in the games themselves. In DR3's case, it's actually being billed as the conclusion to the storyline built up in the previous games, because the actually 3rd game appears to be doing something else entirely.
Did not know that
But P4 The Animation is/was ace!
writing was good but the animation was terrible

I think Steins;Gate was the only Anime based off a videogame I've seen so far and it was great. It managed to actually exploit the potential of time traveling and created a complex (and at times hard to follow) storyline by implementing this aspect in very smart ways, which I cannot say about many stories out there. Looking at you Life Is Strange.

I'm not a big fan of adaptions and I also haven't played a single game the OP mentioned but Ace Attorney has always had my interest and I like Anime, which is why I'll give it a shot. I just hope it's going to be Seinen. Cannot bring myself to watch most of today's Shounen stuff out there.
I didn't even know steins gate was a video game until a couple years ago

Zareka

I'm terrified for the fate of Danganronpa's dub. As someone who played all 3 games in English consistency is really important for DR3, and considering Funimation recast almost everyone for the first anime I don't feel too great about it.

I pray NISA gets the rights for it and, well, actually dubs it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ayumu Watanabe gives me hope for the Ace Attorney anime... But it'll probably be shit.

Danganronpa 3 will be mind-blowingly amazing, though, I'm sure of it.

I'm terrified for the fate of Danganronpa's dub. As someone who played all 3 games in English consistency is really important for DR3, and considering Funimation recast almost everyone for the first anime I don't feel too great about it.

I pray NISA gets the rights for it and, well, actually dubs it.

Well the thing about Funi's dub is that despite the fact that it came out a long time after we got the game, it was actually recorded around the same time the first game came out for us. The main reason I don't want NISA to get it themselves is because they probably wouldn't dub it, or at least wouldn't right away like they did with Toradora. As far as I know that's the only series they've dubbed, although I might be wrong. I know they haven't for Hanasaku Iroha and I'll never not be pissed about that >:{.

MSMrRound

Danganronpa 3 will be mind-blowingly amazing, though, I'm sure of it.

I just kinda wished that it would have been done by a different studio...the Danganronpa animation wasn't exactly known for its quality...however, with Kodaka supervising the anime project, hopefully it will turn out to be decent.

The Danganronpa anime is something I am very much looking forward to. Same with Steins;Gate 0, after the alternate episode 23 in the
beta
timeline, setting things up for it. Ace Attorney COULD be cool, but it's gonna lose it's magic since I already played the games and know who did what.. The intrigue and mystery won't be there anymore.

SkyOdin

How was the God Eater Anime? I didn't watch it when it came out but now with the localization news I'm starting to feel the itch.
I think that it's actually pretty good. It takes a few liberties with the source material, but its pacing and exposition are improved over the source material in several ways. The first episode is weak, but it improves from there. They still need to air the last few episodes though.

Top Bottom