• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UPDATE: Hackers are selling stolen Xbox Live accounts on foreign auction sites. (!)

Doesn't the amount of time/effort involved make that a little futile?

Even if it doesn't, it doesn't explain the number of people who were 'hacked' and were claiming both password and email address were entirely unique and not used elsewhere.
I think you're missing the point of an automated brute force attack. It's about as much effort as 20 lines of script, some proxies and a database full of email addresses.

As for the latter. If there were people saying their email address was completely unique (as in, only used in one place) then I don't remember many of them saying it, or any at all for that matter.

I think you're missing the point of an automated brute force attack. It's about as much effort as 20 lines of script, some proxies and a database full of email addresses.

As for the latter. If there were people saying their email address was completely unique (as in, only used in one place) then I don't remember many of them saying it, or any at all for that matter.

Ah, right.

Yeah, there were a number claiming as much, I'd look them up if I could be bothered, but I'm sure some posts claiming as much are in here and the rest are in the other threads.

I'm sure, if pressed, they'd remember that they used those email address elsewhere, but pressing on such issues only leads to arguments and ends up derailing threads, anyway, back to the point, there were a number who claimed as much, if it was actually true...who can say.

RdN

I still can't believe Microsoft is denying that there's something very wrong.. I've always been extremely careful with my online accounts, but with all the hacking going on, I really don't feel secure on Xbox Live anymore.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Well I am glad I never used my actual credit card for ANY of my online accounts.

You'd think Xbox would have taken as much flak as Sony for this shit.

Especially after how MS has been dealing with the problem, totally denying that they actually have a problem, at least Sony admitted and attempted to rectify it.

Kosh

Kosh, if your account/profile/gamertag has been compromised I do not believe just changing your Windows Live ID is enough. If someone else already has your account on another Xbox they will likely NOT be prompted to enter the new password just because you changed it. You either have to go to https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile/Protection and/or I saw a setting on the Xbox's Dashboard (buried under settings somewhere) and mine was set to only allow this console to login without a password, HTHs.

Here's a great post on CAG describing what to do if you think you've been hacked: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312463

Several people that have been hacked have said they use LastPass or similar service where they have strong, unique passwords for every site. These same people have said they know what to lookout for with pishing, which I believe if they are using something like LastPass. I think there's something more going on.

Thanks, yes, I went to the Xbox site section where you can unregister your gamertag from all consoles. It also makes it necessary to redownload your profile and enter the password. I found my new console and the console that logged in on 9/11/2011. I removed them both, redownloaded my profile on my new console and logged in with new password. I'll check that CAG link to make sure there's not anything else I need to do. Thanks, again.

bubnbob

Banned
Any of you guys able to keep the misc. purchases your hijackers bought? For example some people on another forum said they have all the previous purchases in their history (random XBLA, Games on Demand, etc.).

Soup Bar

A friend of mine had his account compromised tonight. Another friend and myself knew something was wrong because when he signed online, we were both like "isn't he at work." A couple phone calls later, we find out the account was hacked. Fuck this shit.

Yeah he may get his money back, but it sounds like Microsoft doesn't give a shit. I know they don't want to cause a ton of backlash, but this is people's money we are talking about. Some people can't afford to lose $125 out of their bank, and hope to get it back in a month.

farnham

Banned
This is the weirdest shit i have ever encountered. I had several ms points to spend on stuff down the road. I saw the minervas den sale and wanted to spend it there.. And i had 0 points. Looked at my ms account.. No sign of a strange purchase. I looked at the xbox website and found that someone bought over 5000 fifa points.. I dont have a single fifa game on xbox 360... I will contact ms and hope they will figure this out.

Top Bottom