• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Marvel got rights back to X-Men and Fantastic Four

jett

D-Member
I doubt Stan Lee knows what he's talking about. FF is a possibility, but Fox will never give up the X-mayne

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Xmen movies have big problems but at no point in any of them have I ever thought "this could really use Hulk and Spiderman". Just let them be.

Fox is two more 100 - 200 million dollar fantastic four flops from selling the rights back to Marvel and just doubling down on the X-Men universe IMHO. Three flops in a row and they will bail I bet.

They could just sit on the rights until they think they can try again. There's no real reason to sell an asset when they are at their lowest point value-wise, when comic movies are all the rage and, if done right, you can have a huge property on your hands. And tbh i'm not too sure Marvel/Disney really cares all that much to splurge on FF rights when they have a wealth of existing characters to pull from and have shown that they can take any of them and turn them into hits.

smurfx

get some go again
With Logan and Deadpool going? Nah.

Only way Fox ever let Xmen Universe go would be because they would have no choice.
even if a new xmen universe reboot failed they wouldn't sell the rights back to marvel. too much potential money to be made.

If the new Phoenix saga film bombs I could see Fox willing to reboot the franchise with Marvel

Nah. They're not Sony.
They still have Deadpool. And New Mutants. And X-Force. And X-23.
And... Maybe... A new Wolverine down the line.
And Gambit.

No X-Men movie has ever bombed. A couple have underperformed but that's it. They're not gonna be making deals with Marvel if only Dark Phoenix is a failure.

FF is probably the biggest one that they have a hope of re-attaining soon. I don't see X-men going anywhere soon since it's still really successful but FF is ripe to sell back I think. Maybe they want the Spiderman deal and Marvel is waiting them out while they waste money on bombs.

I doubt Stan Lee knows what he's talking about. FF is a possibility, but Fox will never give up the X-mayne

All you really need for this thread.

Sesha

I'm never gonna get a X-Men: Academy film or Dust either way, so they can keep the X-Men after Deadpool and Logan.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I can see the FF appearing in Phase 4 (get it?), since Marvel and Fox have been working together making TV shows, but the XMen? Nah. Too much of a money maker for Fox.

phanphare

Banned
I want the MCU to get the Fantastic Four so bad

a proper take on that family would be amazing

plus, ya know, FUCKING DOOM

X Men can do whatever, they're not holding a doom-like villain hostage and some of the X Men movies are actually decent compared to the FF movies

also a Future Foundation Netflix series would be amazing

OH MAN, IF WE GET DOOM AND RICHARDS IN THE MCU FOR REALS

I want the MCU to get the Fantastic Four so bad

a proper take on that family would be amazing

plus, ya know, FUCKING DOOM

X Men can do whatever, they're not holding a doom-like villain hostage and some of the X Men movies are actually decent compared to the FF movies

also a Future Foundation Netflix series would be amazing

FAMILY MOVIE OF THE GENERATION RIGHT THERE

It's a good thing that Fox has the X-Men rights because at the end of the day if one studio had the rights to every single Marvel property they're still not gonna go beyond a theoretical maximum of 4 movies a year (whereas the MCU's current maximum is 3 a year). And the X-Men franchise under Fox has turned out some pretty good entries even though it's also turned out some serious crap. At the end of the day, studios don't want to self-cannibalize so further concentrating film rights will just result in fewer superhero films.

I'd love to see Marvel reacquire the FF/Doom/Galactus/Annihilus rights though - Fox has never done anything good with them AND generally does nothing with them. Though a lot of the problems that the FF rights would solve for Marvel (it'd supply a good amount of antagonists for them to use) would also be solved by not killing off practically all of their villains.

NR1

Let's play a game...

Which is more likely? Fox giving Mavel back Xmen/FF OR Marvel Studios teaming up with Warner Brothers for a DC vs. Marvel movie?

I would say DC vs. Marvel movie, because the DC film universe needs something positive, and the MCU is going to go stale sooner rather than later, so pump it up with a fun crossover event.

Something Marvel could do right now is to try to make a single television season as good as what Fox did with Legion.

Like, just one season out of all of their shows.

Figments

Why would I ever want Marvel to have the X-Men movie rights back? We wouldn't have gotten Deadpool and Logan if the Marvel of today owned them.

They can take Fantastic Four, though. Nothing Fox has done with them has ever made me care.

Fox gonna be on some "pay us double what you gave LucasFilm for SW to get FF back".

Even if they can't get it to work, knowing that it's potentially valuable to Disney drives up the price.

OmegaFax

I wouldn't count on Fox and Disney to see eye to eye on Marvel properties, ever. That and Fox's distribution rights for the original Star Wars seem like some heavy bargaining chips.

Edit: I appreciate Stan Lee's optimism on the situation. He's in his 90s, suffered some pretty recent personal tragedy, but he really continues to pull along ... and at least publically, doesn't seem to let things dampen his spirits. The guy is inspiring. I have a grandmother his age with a lot of baggage and hardship (death of loved ones) and it's amazing how driven people are at that age despite that fact.

Mael

I much prefer what Fox is doing with Xmen than what Marvel is currently doing with it.
Fantastic 4 is a fucking tragedy with Fox though :/

ExVicis

Fantastic Four sure, X-men....eeeeh I'm okay with where it's at now. Magneto would end up as another lacking in motivation Villain back under Marvel's hands.

MikeRahl

I much prefer what Fox is doing with Xmen than what Marvel is currently doing with it.

I thought Marvel was being terrible with the X-Men as a result of the Movie deal.

With the NBA getting out of the Spirits of St. Louis deal recently, I'd say anything is possible but Fox would be crazy to give up X-Men you would think.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath, all respect due to Stan the Man. It's probably in Fox's best interest to keep those properties. Too bad the absolutely shit all over the characters, especially the X-Men

huh? what are Fox doing that you like and Marvel doing that you don't? You mean you like the Fox is making X-men films and Marvel isn't? lol

Mael

I thought Marvel was being terrible with the X-Men as a result of the Movie deal.

With the NBA getting out of the Spirits of St. Louis deal recently, I'd say anything is possible but Fox would be crazy to give up X-Men you would think.

Well yeah.

huh? what are Fox doing that you like and Marvel doing that you don't? You mean you like the Fox is making X-men films and Marvel isn't? lol

I like the Fox movies but you wouldn't catch me dead with a current Xmen comic book.
then again I don't think I like comics these days...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Fox can keep F4 for all I care

See this is terrible thinking, because even if the F4 itself is lame, there are a lot of quality related characters that would do great in the MCU. Most notable of course is Doom.
Silver Surfer would fit right in with the cosmic GotG/Thor Ragnarok vibe too.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Something Marvel could do right now is to try to make a single television season as good as what Fox did with Legion.

Like, just one season out of all of their shows.

You do know that Marvel Television is one of the producers of Legion, right?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pass. Recast and get someone short this time.

Man, if I could get an Xmen movie produced by Feige with an actual proper line up of Xmen characters...

/dreams
I rather they didn't
Hugh Jackman is and always will be Wolverine, same with Patrick Stewart is forever Professor X.
In fact most the mains in X-Men are/was too perfect and will be hard to recast.

Metalmarc

So long as they are kept away from Marvel TV, hooo boy

But

Logan
Deadpool
X2
First Class
Days of The Future Past

Are not bad Movies, Infact Logan & Deadpool are more entertaining than quite a few of the Marvel Movies

SRG01

If the new Phoenix saga film bombs I could see Fox willing to reboot the franchise with Marvel

More likely they'll farm out the core X-Men movies to Marvel while keeping the fringe movies to themselves, kind of like the current Sony-Marvel deal.

Then again, Deadpool isn't exactly fringe, but it definitely isn't a core X-Men property like the main team.

So long as they are kept away from Marvel TV, hooo boy

But

Logan
Deadpool
X2
First Class
Days of The Future Past

Are not bad Movies, Infact Logan & Deadpool are more entertaining than quite a few of the Marvel Movies

People forget that Fox has a good track record with X-Men films with the exception of a few -- X3, Origins, and Apocalypse.

They might get F4 back in a Sony Spider-Man like deal, but Disney is going to have to buy Fox to get the X-Men at this point.

Well yeah.

I like the Fox movies but you wouldn't catch me dead with a current Xmen comic book.
then again I don't think I like comics these days...

mainstream superhero comics are a constant cycle of events interrupting long form storylines and reboots to the same ol status quo so I understand not liking them but you said comics in general so that's another thing.

The X-Men movies actively piss me off though and are so far away from the awesome X-Men that I loved growing up. The heart of the X-Men isn't the same, so fuck Fox for that.

Cipherr

I rather they didn't
Hugh Jackman is and always will be Wolverine, same with Patrick Stewart is forever Professor X.
In fact most the mains in X-Men are/was too perfect and will be hard to recast.

RDJ always gets the credit for the perfect casting, but yeah Patrick Stewart and Jackman were first, and perfect. The height thing has never bothered me at all.

Top Bottom