• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading existing phone to an unlocked phone. Anything to watch out for?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Hi GAF,

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked Pixel 6a. I currently have a 3a. I've always upgraded my phone through my cell provider (T-Mobile) so I'm not sure if there's anything special I need to do.
I see both use the same SIM card. Do I just need to pop in my current SIM into the 6a and I should be all good to go in that front?
The 6a is cheaper at many various retailers right now versus going through T-Mobile and I don't want to trade in my 3a.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hi GAF,

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked Pixel 6a. I currently have a 3a. I've always upgraded my phone through my cell provider (T-Mobile) so I'm not sure if there's anything special I need to do.
I see both use the same SIM card. Do I just need to pop in my current SIM into the 6a and I should be all good to go in that front?
The 6a is cheaper at many various retailers right now versus going through T-Mobile and I don't want to trade in my 3a.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The only real gotchas are usually finding a phone that supports your carrier's data bands. The Pixel 6a supports damn near everything, so you should be good to go. I think the only thing it doesn't fully support is some 5G networks on Verizon.

Otherwise, you should be able to pop your sim into the new phone and away you go.

Pejo

Gold Member
Well OP, you should be fine with an unlocked phone. I've been using one for years, and they still haven't caught me. I need to keep this brief since I'm posting from my phone right now.

The only piece of advice I can give, which you should take very serious, is that you need to make sure you disabl

Cyberpunkd

T-Mobile are still around? I thought they merged with another provider and changed the name.
Locked phones are still around?

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Oh wait, it’s the US.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
T-Mobile are still around? I thought they merged with another provider and changed the name.
More importantly than the name, why is OP using T-Mobile at all if they have an unlocked phone? Their cheapest plan is $45 a month, when you could get something like Mint Mobile for $15.

TheUsual

Gold Member
More importantly than the name, why is OP using T-Mobile at all if they have an unlocked phone? Their cheapest plan is $45 a month, when you could get something like Mint Mobile for $15.
My current phone is not unlocked...at least not that I'm aware of.
But if I'm going to buy a new an unlocked one...Mint Mobile is definitely something to look into!

Been using T-Mobile for as long as I can remember. Guess I like throwing money out the window!
Not guess my phone on the plan as well...my fiancee's phone is on my plan as well.

ahtlas7

Well OP, you should be fine with an unlocked phone. I've been using one for years, and they still haven't caught me. I need to keep this brief since I'm posting from my phone right now.

The only piece of advice I can give, which you should take very serious, is that you need to make sure you disabl
Not sure I’d take his advice… lol

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This is what I use. No complaints and great overseas coverage with no roaming in notes of places.

unlocked just means it works with any sim/carrier.

you will be fine but to be safe maybe check the phone supports your networks frequencies? depends where you are.

Top Bottom