• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading the PS3 HD is like console sex

distrbnce said:
What does the backup utility save to? Like a USB thumb drive or something?

Does it compress the data?

Any USB storage device or other flash device if you have a non-40GB. It doesn't compress the data, but it does package the data into proprietary container files.

Zoe

distrbnce said:
What does the backup utility save to? Like a USB thumb drive or something?

Does it compress the data?

It backs up to any kind of drive that's large enough--it just has to be FAT32.

I didn't notice any massive compression on mine, but I didn't really look at it. Keep in mind that the backup size will be less than what it would have looked like anyway because the PS3 automatically reserved some of your HDD for system use.

Id.

Is there a limit to how big of an HDD you can install on the PS3? I have a 160GB installed and would like to upgrade to an HDD past 250GB at some point.

Zoe

Id. said:
Is there a limit to how big of an HDD you can install on the PS3? I have a 160GB installed and would like to upgrade to an HDD past 250GB at some point.

I have a 320GB in there, and people have used IDE adapters to get over 500GB.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jonabbey said:
They've announced 500gigabyte 2.5" SATA drives suitable for use in the PS3. :D
Nice. FFXIII's install probably takes half that. :lol

bj00rn

Banned
Good for you I guess...

I'm sharing/streaming content to my 360 (And my PS3, but I use the 360 more because I like the interface better, and "360connect" is so easy to share via macbook) via my stationary PC and my macbook. And I'll buy a 2TB NAS (The QNAP TS-209 which is 360/PS3 compatible) when I find some time next month. So no need for bigger harddrives on any of my consoles.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
jonabbey said:
Hm. The best that newegg has right now is 320 Gigs, I think the 500 Gig model was one that was announced by Fujitsu, even if it's not out yet.

I think the Fujtsu one is too thick. Should be 9.5mm (i think) but it is something like 12mm. Samsung have made a 500 Gig HDD which will fit but it cannot be found anywhere last time i checked.

mollipen

bj00rn said:
but I use the 360 more because I like the interface better

You're a Mac owner, AND you like a Microsoft-developed UI? That's... odd.

and "360connect" is so easy to share via macbook

MediaLink (from the same people who make Connect360) makes it just as easy to share with your PS3, and I'd actually argue a bit easier (since instead of having to pick to view a share in the blades, the share automatically shows up under each relevant category of the XMB).

nib95

Banned
I have a 60GB PAL Launch and haven't needed to upgrade yet. But I am tempted to upgrade to 250GB or 320GB. prices aren't actually that bad at all.

LAMBO

I was thinking of upgrading but instead i just bought a $90 500gb external drive. It's the best thing ever, my ps3 is my main entertainment source now.

bj00rn

Banned
shidoshi said:
You're a Mac owner, AND you like a Microsoft-developed UI? That's... odd.

It's not really MS-developed.. And I like the Vista interface too (Even though I don't use it on my computers (I use XP and the black royale theme, which is a very cheap and clean solution, I don't use PC very much outside my office anyway)). But yes, Leopard is superior :)

shidoshi said:
MediaLink (from the same people who make Connect360) makes it just as easy to share with your PS3, and I'd actually argue a bit easier (since instead of having to pick to view a share in the blades, the share automatically shows up under each relevant category of the XMB).

There's nothing wrong with the XMB per se, I just prefer the 360 UI for media a little more. But thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

btkadams

question: when you use the backup utility for your ps3 onto an external...what if your not changing the harddrive? like just backing up everything? if you went and tried to back it up onto the same hdd a couple months later, would it overwrite everything with the newer saves? or would it make a separate backup...that would suck if it made ANOTHER backup and having to go through by hand delete the oldbackup.

Afrocious

Noob question coming.

I remember a deal in the past when some site sold 120GB HDDs compatible with the PS3 for like lol 12 or 18 dollars. I've always said that if I were to get a PS3, I'd upgrade its HDD.

The noob question:

Sony didn't intend for people to upgrade the HDD right? It voids the warranty?

B-Ri

Afrocious said:
Noob question coming.

I remember a deal in the past when some site sold 120GB HDDs compatible with the PS3 for like lol 12 or 18 dollars. I've always said that if I were to get a PS3, I'd upgrade its HDD.

The noob question:

Sony didn't intend for people to upgrade the HDD right? It voids the warranty?

yes they did intent people to upgrade it, the instructions on how to are in the manual, no it does not void your warranty.

Is there a guide online that explains step by step how to do this? Also, how exactly do you transfer everything on the PS3 hard drive over to the new one?

Zoe

Linkzg said:
Also, how exactly do you transfer everything on the PS3 hard drive over to the new one?

You use the backup utility, and then once the new drive is in, there's a restore utility.

You'll need to reformat your backup drive to FAT32. However, XP does not allow this for the size you'll probably need, so you'll need to find some other utility to do it for you. I'm not sure what it's called, but it's near the end of the other most recent HDD thread.

ambalek

Threi said:
Man if that is sex to you wait till you use a PC.

1. Buy/build new PC
2. Use Windows Easy Transfer
3. Windows Easy Transfer keeps stalling and flashing the network icon, give up
4. Attempt to copy old content over firewire/ethernet
5. Copy takes a while
6. Old games won't run due to dll/registry/Windows hernia issues
7. Reinstall all games
8. Copy over save files which each game seemingly stores in a different place
9. Windows Update
10. Driver updates

Done!

Onix said:
Any recommendations for ones known to be cool running? Or good sites that actually mention such info?
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/138288.shtml

One somewhat unexpected discovery was that this speedy 7200 RPM hard drive was no louder (or hotter) than its slower counterpart - an impressive testament to the PS3's sound-dampening design. In other words, there's really no reason not to buy a speedier hard drive for your PS3

dk_

ambalek said:
1. Buy/build new PC
2. Use Windows Easy Transfer
3. Windows Easy Transfer keeps stalling and flashing the network icon, give up
4. Attempt to copy old content over firewire/ethernet
5. Copy takes a while
6. Old games won't run due to dll/registry/Windows hernia issues
7. Reinstall all games
8. Copy over save files which each game seemingly stores in a different place
9. Windows Update
10. Driver updates

Done!

:lol

Damn true.

dalin80

Banned
The 200gb 16mb version of that seagate is much better in my opinion, although thats my experience with laptops rather then ps3's.

distrbnce

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Any USB storage device or other flash device if you have a non-40GB. It doesn't compress the data, but it does package the data into proprietary container files.

So did OP use a 30GB thumb drive? Do those exist? I haven't been keeping up with the thumb drive scene.

EDIT: If I were to do this I'd probably delete all demos, music, movies, PSN games... seems like game saves are the only thing you can't reinstall. It seems like it'd be a lot simpler, and you'd probably only have to back up like a gig or two if that.

Zoe

distrbnce said:
So did OP use a 30GB thumb drive? Do those exist? I haven't been keeping up with the thumb drive scene.

EDIT: If I were to do this I'd probably delete all demos, music, movies, PSN games... seems like game saves are the only thing you can't reinstall. It seems like it'd be a lot simpler, and you'd probably only have to back up like a gig or two if that.

That'd defeat the whole purpose of using the backup utility. If you have a drive large enough (I used a 120GB HDD via USB enclosure), then you can just back everything up with one step and then reinstall with another step. You're talking about a lot of manual work.

Baha

I'm interested in upgrading my ps3's hdd in about a week or so and I'm planning on doing it as follows:

1. format the new hdd in an enclosure via my PC (fat32)
2. run the backup utility to backup my current hdd to the new one
3. swap drives
4. Restore

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Also, does the backup utility backup all the accounts on the system?

Zzoram

OuterWorldVoice said:
Man, if you think using a PC is sex, wait til you have intercourse with an accommodating human female.

Your heart races faster when turning on for the first time a $1000+ PC you built from scratch, because of the awful sound the RAM made going in, touching the motherboard with your grubby hands, and the slight bending of the motherboard and the insane force used to attack your garbage Intel stock CPU heatsink fan.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Baha said:
I'm interested in upgrading my ps3's hdd in about a week or so and I'm planning on doing it as follows:

3. swap drives
4. Restore

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Also, does the bakup utility backup all the accounts on the system?
Same steps I took, except you need to use a USB storage device and not your new HDD. Just waiting 'till tommorow for my drive to arrive.

Baha said:

3. swap drives
4. Restore

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Also, does the backup utility backup all the accounts on the system?

Wait, do you mean you're gonna copy (via the backup function) to the new HDD and then put it into the PS3 right away? That won't work. It doesn't do that kind of backup. If you were to do that and then put the HDD in with the restore data it will ask to format it right away.

You would want to add the additional step of taking the HDD with the backed-up data and then copying that to a PC. Then you can put the new HDD into the PS3.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Baha said:

3. format the old hdd in an enclosure via my PC (fat32)
4. copy the backup on the new drive to my PC
5. copy the backup on the PC to the old drive
6. Install new drive to PS3
7.Connect old drive to PS3 via enclosure and run the backup utility

Fixed.

XMB User accounts are stored in the flash rom, not the HDD.

Baha said:
So it'll still request a format even if the new hdd has been formatted to fat32?
The PS3 OS uses a proprietary file system and only requires a FAT32 file system when reading/writing to a external drive/mem card.

DCharlie

Banned
They've announced 500gigabyte 2.5" SATA suitable....

huh? i have a 500 giga in mine (have had for a month or two)

is it... potentially not suitable?

i've had zero issues, all working fine.

Ptaaty

Since my home is networked, 20GB is fine for me...well mostly. Fine on 360 for sure, but now with PS3 installs I might NEED to upgrade it.

Just upgraded a 20 GB to a 120 GB. Spent like 38$ got a drive off Amazon. The only problem was since my PS3 was a launch unit it seems like the heat from the system warped one of the screws. So I had to pry the protective metal casing open with my brute strength :lol .
In the end I end up with 100GB's more took like a hour and a half.

The Soul Caliber rumor of it requiring 8GB install scared me into finally upgrading.

MutFox

Banned
When using the backup ultility,
does it only save the files of the user account you're currently logged into,
or does it save EVERYTHING? (Other users saves)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MutFox said:
Saves everything; Installs, DLC, Game Saves, Copy Protected Game Saves, Mid Downloads, Music, Videos, Everything for everybody.

MutFox said:
Pretty sure it's everything.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MutFox said:
Cool thanks...
Thought I'd have to so the backup on each individual account...

Pretty sure... Hmmm... :/

It does NOT save PS1 or PS2 game saves on the virtual memory card. You need to back those up manually.

Top Bottom