• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US cuts aid to Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Over 100 days later. I am disappointed that it took so long. But better than nothing right?

As Marc Lynch says:
Suspension of Egypt aid should have happened within days of the coup and had some clear purpose - not sure what now hoping to achieve.
https://twitter.com/abuaardvark/status/388045068977700866

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/white-house-cuts-egypt-aid-98092.html
President Barack Obama has decided to scale back assistance to Egypt’s government because of disappointment over the military regime’s failure to move back towards democracy after taking power in July, U.S. officials said Wednesday.

Egypt’s military government “has made decisions inconsistent with inclusive democracy which sort of leads us to where we are now,” a senior Obama administration official told reporters on a conference call.

The U.S. is suspending $260 million in cash aid to Egypt’s government and will “hold delivery of certain large-scale military systems,” such as F-16 aircraft, M1A1 Abrams tanks, Harpoon anti-ship missiles and Apache helicopters, officials said. They said the delayed military equipment is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

While U.S. officials said they hoped the shift on aid would send a message to Egypt’s military leaders to speed the country’s return to democracy, Obama administration officials also went out of their way to stress that the U.S. is not severing its ties to Cairo.

“We have decided to maintain our relationship with the Egyptian government, while recalibrating our assistance to Egypt to best advance our interests,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a brief written statement which used the word “continue” in six consecutive sentences.

Some funding for counter-terrorism efforts, health and democracy-promotion efforts in Egypt will be preserved, officials said. In addition, the U.S. will continue to send spare parts to Egypt’s military and will not interrupt training efforts for Egyptian military personnel.

Egypt’s military took control of the government in July amidst street protests against democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi. U.S. officials did not endorse the move, but said the protests were so widespread that they demonstrated Morsi had lost support of the Egyptian public, in part due to his own moves to sideline opposition groups and other critics.

At the time, Obama said he hoped the military would quickly restore democratic rule. But he suspended a planned joint military exercise and the delivery of F-16s while awaiting the outcome of a broader review of U.S. aid.

However, officials said Wednesday that Egypt’s military leaders have not made the hoped-for steps towards democracy. They pointed to the failure to lift emergency decrees, ongoing restrictions on the press and to arrests of members of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood. Earlier Wednesday, an Egyptian court announced plans to put Morsi himself on trial next month for inciting murder and violence.

The U.S. is not expecting that the shift in aid will produce any “immediate” change in the regime’s actions, an official said.

“This decision underscores that the United States will not support things that run contrary to our values and it’s important to be clear about those things,” the official added.

While Israel has reacted with concern to U.S. plans to stop some aid to Egypt’s government, U.S. officials stressed that American backing will continue for security in the Sinai desert and along Egypt’s borders with Israel and Gaza.

“We didn’t want to do anything to put any of that at risk,” an official said.

The new moves met with a mixed reaction from lawmakers. Some, who have labeled the military’s July takeover as a “coup” that requires a suspension of aid under U.S. law, expressed disappointment that Obama didn’t go further.

The House of Representatives “has made decisions inconsistent with inclusive democracy which sort of leads us to where we are now,” a senior Obama administration official told reporters on a conference call.

Interesting how well that works

numble

Egypt's not happy, hints at cutting/decreasing Suez Canal privileges.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424052702304500404579125621454152930?mg=reno64-wsj

CAIRO—Egypt bristled over Washington's plan to reduce military aid to Egypt, saying the country would consider altering certain agreements with the U.S.
Some accords, such as American ships' special access to the Suez Canal, should be "adjusted," said Col. Ahmed Ali, the spokesman for the Egyptian military. "The U.S. is abandoning Egypt as it fights a serious war against terror," he said. "This is a stance that doesn't coincide with such a strong, long-standing relationship."

Over 100 days later. I am disappointed that it took so long. But better than nothing right?

As Marc Lynch says:

https://twitter.com/abuaardvark/status/388045068977700866

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/white-house-cuts-egypt-aid-98092.html

I think there's something to be said for letting the smoke clear to see if they were actually going to live up to their promises, rather than knee-jerking the week after a major political uprising while they're still clearing the mess up.

numble

I think there's something to be said for letting the smoke clear to see if they were actually going to live up to their promises, rather than knee-jerking the week after a major political uprising while they're still clearing the mess up.
And what about the multiple mass killings in the days following the coup?

antonz

We should have minded our business in the first fucking place back at the start of this shitstorm.

"Dont worry the muslim brotherhood promises not to get involved in politics"

Whole things been one big fuck up

Enkidu

While I agree that this is a good decision by the US, I wonder if it will actually have a positive effect. If aid was withdrawn right at the start of this, the military might have gotten cold feet and decided to cooperate. Now however, it seems that other Arab countries have made it perfectly clear that if the US withdraws support they will step in and fill the gap, so it seems that suspending the aid at this point will just cause Egypt to align itself further with their new wealthy friends and keep fighting the Muslim Brotherhood with violence.

Seems like a fairly hollow gesture to do that now.

They STILL won't call it a coup but they'll cut off aid? What?

This isn't going to have an enormous impact on Egypt's ability to purge the MB. Which they seem well on their way to be doing.

AFAIK Egypt was more stable until most of Europe up until the mid-20th century. "Middle East troubles" are not a historical norm.

I'm aware of history, but as of now it is an unstable and volatile region. Until that settles down, I'm not going anywhere near.

Azih

America: Hey guys, uh, killing dozens upon dozens of civillian protestors is kinda not cool okay? I'm delaying your allowance for a day.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Should have happened months ago and for the obvious reason (COUP). Better late than never I guess...

Ikael

Horrible timing, this will accomplish absolutely nothing. This is, if anything, a gift for the Muslim Brotherhood. Quite a shitty decisión all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom