• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

I was expecting Klute over both those other LBs.

I'm still not sure how Harrington and Alexander even got called in, and now they've both made the cut.... I should have stopped trying to figure out what Klinsmann's thinking when Evans and Beasley became out starting fullbacks.

NoRéN

True. Harrington is incredibly mediocre. Like the rest of you I don't understand why Harrington or Alexander got called in.

Maybe klinnsmann was all like, "Sinovic, you don't need to prove anything to me. You're good. Enjoy your vacation"

hahahahahah

Seriously, I wish we would get write ups detailing call up decisions from managers.

xbhaskarx

So who would be next? Note this is pure speculation based on nothing....

I'm gonna say Beasley (maybe he wants to come home), Jones (isn't he still leaving Schalke?), or Holden on loan to get consistent playing time.

Most guys are playing fairly regularly, hell even Shea and Gooch are now...

Edit: not that he's anywhere near the national team, but I'm really wondering what Freddy Adu's next move will be. I'd take him back in MLS if he was willing to take a pay cut from his 6-700k down to 1-200k.

xbhaskarx

Holden would be playing if he weren't injured. I don't think he'll be coming back to the MLS any time soon.

Last time he was coming back from injury (spring 13), he was having trouble getting minutes with Bolton, which is why Klinsmann called him in for both May/June and the Gold Cup....

Round up on news from Sciaretta:

- Brek Shea scored for Barnsley in a friendly yesterday
- Jozy starts for Sunderland in their FA Cup match
- Fabian Johnson and Timmy Chandler start for Hoffenheim & FCN, respectively. Chandler scored.
- Cherundolo not in the squad for Hannover
- Will Packwood continues his injury comeback in an FA Cup start for Birmingham City

Nyx

Agudelo made his debut for Utrecht in the away game vs Roda.
Came on in the 60th minute but didn't have an impact unfortunately.

mcOcfLS.png

A couple tidbits from Grant Wahl:
Klinsmann says he spoke to Fabian Johnson today. Had hand surgery, expects to play this weekend.

Klinsmann: It's more likely Jermaine Jones moves to another European team in next 4 days than to MLS.

- Klinsmann with a few comments on the Brazil trip and the upcoming friendly (youtube)

Anyone want to take a crack at the lineup for Saturday? Who would you pick? Who do you think Klinsmann is going to select?
GOALKEEPERS (3) : Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7) : Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8) : Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4 ): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

xbhaskarx

Who would you pick? Who do you think Klinsmann is going to select?

Mine:
--------------------Donovan----------------------
------Feilhaber----Diskerud----Zusi---------
-----------Beckerman--McCarty------------
Parkhurst---Besler---Gonzalez---Yedlin
---------------------Rimando---------------------

my subs: Gil for McCarty, Magee for Feilhaber, Johnson for Diskerud with Donovan dropping back...

Klinsmann's:
--------------------Johnson----------------------
--------Davis-----Donovan-----Zusi----------
-----------Beckerman--Diskerud------------
Harrington---Besler---Gonzalez--Evans
---------------------Rimando---------------------

daoster

Why aren't American players taken seriously in Europe?

At risk of crudely paraphrasing Charles Dickens, is this "the best of times [and] the worst of times" for American soccer?

While 2013 was the most successful year in United States men's national team history, the impression American players are making on the elite European game seems to be in reverse gear. After seasons of giddy promise in which Clint Dempsey plundered 23 goals in a Fulham jersey and the hard-charging Michael Bradley initially thrived in Serie A, a sensational reverse migration means we live a reality in which Stoke City's Geoff Cameron is the most successful U.S.-born outfield player in the elite leagues of Europe.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/1654?cc=5901

xbhaskarx

Cameron should be happy at Stoke (as long as they stay up), he basically plays every minute, he doesn't get criticized much, and they're not looking to replace him.

Dartastic

Tomorrow's game will be really interesting to watch. I'm really curious to see how some of these guys perform in a national team setting, even if it is just a friendly.

NoRéN

Tomorrow's game will be really interesting to watch. I'm really curious to see how some of these guys perform in a national team setting, even if it is just a friendly.

I'm sure that South Korea will have more fan support than the scandinavian teams do during these January friendlies. Hopefully that serves to pump them up and perform well.

Anyone here going?

daoster

NoRéN;99152057 said:
I'm sure that South Korea will have more fan support than the scandinavian teams do during these January friendlies. Hopefully that serves to pump them up and perform well.

Anyone here going?

Bought tickets, but Lunar New Years activity may keep me from going!

Gonna try to make it though, since I haven't been to a USMNT game in forever.

Excited to see some of the newer faces.

daoster

So didn't watch the game, as it was way to early for me, but just saw the score on Soccernet.

3 goals scored for Sunderland, none of them from Altidore.

And he was on for the full 90.

"Altidore should have killed the game off when he found himself in on Krul seconds later and failed to round the keeper, but Colback was not so wasteful 10 minutes from time to wrap up the win."

Ugh.

Sounded like he had a good game aside from the whole goal-scoring thing. :/ At least Sunderland is playing better these days, so it's just a matter of time before he gets his groove back.
I hope.

- Cameron with another strong effort at RB for Stoke in their 2-1 win over ManU this morning.
- Howard & Guzan with starts, as well.
- Danny Williams with a start and a goal for Reading today.
- Onyewu started for Sheffield Wednesday against Barnsley where Shea also started. Gooch came off with a knee injury.
- Johannsson should start for AZ this afternoon when that game starts.
- Dempsey came on as a sub for Fulham. Good that he’s getting some PT, but it sounds like he and Fulham aren’t playing well at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom