• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Government Breaks Up Facebook (Must Divest WhatsApp and Instagram)

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

WASHINGTON -- Federal regulators asked Wednesday for Facebook to be ordered to divest its Instagram and WhatsApp messaging services as the U.S. government and 48 states and districts accused the company of abusing its market power in social networking to crush smaller competitors

Lizard Bot Zuckerberg won't be pleased.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
burn baby burn

after hearing about the new Youtube changes i kind want to burn my account there and go off the grid. fuck all these ancient social companies

cebri.one

It won't happen. One thing is what they ask and another what it's legal. Maybe in ten years it will be decided on a court.

China:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Ten_Fold

But Amazon is cool with them basically buying whatever they feel, or Google buying a ton of shit? How about changing Twitter? Why FB/IG.....

Chiggs

Gold Member
But Amazon is cool with them basically buying whatever they feel, or Google buying a ton of shit? How about changing Twitter? Why FB/IG.....

Probably because of the stranglehold Facebook has on social media advertising. Not that Google isn’t horrible with ad domination, but Facebook is arguably worse.

And they all probably dislike Zuckerberg.

SonorFagoen

Neo Member
lol, but Amazon is completely fine. This is exactly how they operate.

No, Amazon is not completely fine either. First let's see them actually do it with Facebook, because I can see a "compromise" happening. If they go through with it, then hopefully Amazon will be next as well.

No, Amazon is not completely fine either. First let's see them actually do it with Facebook, because I can see a "compromise" happening. If they go through with it, then hopefully Amazon will be next as well.

Oh I wasn't insinuating that I think they are fine...just that I'm surprised that social media is the target instead of something that's had a direct negative effect on the economy. Amazon's entire growth model is around buying up or starving out competition. Hopefully they are part of the overall conversation.

SonorFagoen

Neo Member
Oh I wasn't insinuating that I think they are fine...just that I'm surprised that social media is the target instead of something that's had a direct negative effect on the economy. Amazon's entire growth model is around buying up or starving out competition. Hopefully they are part of the overall conversation.

I personally feel its definitely the media that have been directly responsible for spreading fear and fear mongering that has directly impacted the economy all over the world, and frankly have impoverished people and still causing famine and killing people. They are doing by far the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time and need to be addressed first. You can't fix any problems if the world media is compromised because you can't even get your message spread to people.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Social media has had so many negative effects on society that it properly can't be quantified.

I think Amazon's anticompetitive practices are pretty clear and I hope the government does look at them soon. I am sure that will happen especially if the guy who was VP when all these companies accumulated all this power gets sworn in as President.

Top Bottom