• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US government is going to send every household $1k+ in the next two weeks

My mother does taxes for her company, so she does mine every year too. So this year she did them for me, and I was busy so she just direct deposited it into her bank account and gave me the money. Anyway of this negativity affecting her or me?

My mother does taxes for her company, so she does mine every year too. So this year she did them for me, and I was busy so she just direct deposited it into her bank account and gave me the money. Anyway of this negativity affecting her or me?

Not really, just keep a paper trail for five years (I think) for audits showing where the money went and that part of it was your refund. It's more for her than for you, because that income counts against her, and I assume she is in a higher tax bracket than you.

Last edited:
Not really, just keep a paper trail for five years (I think) for audits showing where the money went and that part of it was your refund. It's more for her than for you, because that income counts against her, and I assume she is in a higher tax bracket than you.
Thank you kind sir.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Extremely frustrated that neither me or my father (he's the one I care for) won't see a dime and we REALLY need it esp now. It's adding insult to injury especially since my (well my dad's) dog is getting worse and our Rug Doctor cleaning machine seems busted.

Things getting worse and ngl I'm getting ideation to a point I need to see if I can talk to a therapist online with w/e help that'll do.

Being ass poor means just getting the shaft again.

Fuck all this and especially a big 'fuck you' to the Chinese govt.

what prevents you from getting the incentive?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
what prevents you from getting the incentive?
I didn't (and don't) file because I make almost nothing.

My dad doesn't either because he makes below the required amount to file.

Yeah I know people are going to say he probably should be he's just too sick to even worry about it.

He is on retirement and VA disability pension but it's all very little.

Loki

Count of Concision
I definitely understand the need for expediency with the disbursement, and thus why more detailed calculations weren't made to account for cost of living etc., but I have to admit that it irks me that a person making $90K in Virginia or Arkansas will be getting something while someone making $100-110K in NYC won't, despite the former almost certainly having a higher standard of living than the latter.

paparazzo

Yeah I know people are going to say he probably should be he's just too sick to even worry about it.

There’s no income requirement for filing a tax return. It might not be too late to get a stimulus check if you file for 2019 ASAP. Might even be able to file for your dad too.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

That is unfortunate. I’m not sure what steps you can take but you are paying taxes so you should be eligible. You may have to file next year to get it. It will be a year late but better than not at all.

spectyre

I like Trump, but I am Canadian, may I have half of that USD? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

bNnnxfC.jpg

If he is working full time I fucking doubt it.

Even with overtime most Wal-Mart employees barely probably scratch $900 a week. The stimulus bill gives an extra $600 a week for unemployment for 4 months.

So yes, grocery store workers are probably making way less then people on unemployment.

So in theory the government will send me a physical check to my last known reported address on my Tax Returns. But how will we know when they sent it though?

MrMephistoX

I hope people who really dislike Trump take the high road and don't take the money. Or give it away. It's blood money, right?

I dislike Trump and am not getting 100% married filing jointly with a kid in CA: I’m happily taking the money for putting up with his bullshit for the last 3.5 years. Putting it into my rainy day fund.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Even with overtime most Wal-Mart employees barely probably scratch $900 a week. The stimulus bill gives an extra $600 a week for unemployment for 4 months.

So yes, grocery store workers are probably making way less then people on unemployment.
Anybody unemployed isn't getting that money and the IRS still has to sort shit out. People currently on uemployment are gonna make what they'd be making a week regularly. At least in Texas.

Thaedolus

PSA: even if you didn’t file taxes in 2018, you can file a simple 2019 form to get them your current information and still qualify for something:

So quityerbitchin and enjoy your bribes like the rest of us that pay taxes

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The money isn't just being given to people who need it because they're out of work. It's arbitrarily being given to everyone who made less than $100k in 2018. Many of whom aren't in any kind of a tough situation and aren't planning to be.

I'm not overly critical of the move, anyway. It's necessary, since a ton of people in the US don't have any short term savings. And I'm certainly not arguing for 'wealth redistribution'. I just cynically think a ton of people are going to make luxury purchases with the money, which is a waste when you consider who's most fucked in this situation..
The money has to go out immediately though to have any effect. The Democrats would have loved to have some criteria applied but there is no way to do that without dragging out the process for months.

TheTurboFD

I, luckily, am not in the place to need this but saving it wouldnt hurt. Maybe I may even invest it for when the market comes back.

Darkmakaimura

PSA: even if you didn’t file taxes in 2018, you can file a simple 2019 form to get them your current information and still qualify for something:

I'm doing this asap but apparently the simplified form isn't available yet.

Vlaphor

I got a few small credit cards to pay off and the rest is going into savings. I still have a job and full hours, but since this has come into effect, we've been ordered to have no overtime and that's been cutting into my paychecks somewhat.

I do kind of want to get a new tattoo though.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
I've been doing Direct Deposit for years so should see the deposit pretty quick, I'm stoked even though I'm likely gonna save it.

mr.dilya

Banned
Just got put on furlough today. I've been consistenly employed since I was 19, but I've been with my present company for 5 months and 1 week. I live in NY, anybody know if they relaxed the rule that you have to have been with your company for 6 months in order to qualify for unemployment benefits? I meet all the other requirements. My company says they aren't contesting any furloughed unemployment claims.

Darkmakaimura

Do you or anyone know when the simplified filing will be available?

Some people are acting like it already is and I want to get on to that asap.

I don't have a computer with Internet so I'll need to borrow someone's time.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing this asap but apparently the simplified form isn't available yet.
If you fuck it up the IRS will just leave it under review. I did mine 2 months ago and the IRS still hasn't sent me a letter but are looking into it. I really wish this was handled by another agency, one that focuses on urgency. I'll prob get my return by fucking December lol.

Darkmakaimura

If you fuck it up the IRS will just leave it under review. I did mine 2 months ago and the IRS still hasn't sent me a letter but are looking into it. I really wish this was handled by another agency, one that focuses on urgency. I'll prob get my return by fucking December lol.
Jfc don't scare me.

But this simplified form isn't available yet so maybe it won't be as bad (?)

I need to do this asap as soon as it does become available. I can't screw around as me and my dad need this money.

Darkmakaimura

Social Security recepients will automatically get the stimulus without having to file.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Social Security recepients will automatically get the stimulus without having to file.

yeah people were freaking out something fierce about this yesterday. turns out it is a non issue.

even if it had impacted every SS recipient who didn't file, that would be at most 5% of recipients.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
Now all people have to do is wait for the IRS to sort things out.
Waiting-Skeleton.jpg
Yeah, I feel like every article I keep reading about this says "Up to 3 weeks", and I've been reading that for over a week. Sooo...is it still 3 weeks, or is it up to 2 weeks now, or have they not even gotten this shit started yet

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I feel like every article I keep reading about this says "Up to 3 weeks", and I've been reading that for over a week. Sooo...is it still 3 weeks, or is it up to 2 weeks now, or have they not even gotten this shit started yet
August. I'm calling it now! I hope I'm wrong.

lock2k

Banned
Every household? How will they determine who gets it? Like I live with someone but I'm not head of household.

I'm still sure you to qualify somehow.

I'd read the article but my phone is slow af right now.

It's a stealth move to find illegals lol

Darkmakaimura

So now since there's no simplified tax filing, how do I benefit from the 1200?

I haven't filed in years due to how mind-boggling little I make each year.

darkestdame

Banned
This is going to be a pittance by the time people actually get it in the mail, & they'll give even less money whenever they decide to actually start working again and pass another bill.

Now all people have to do is wait for the IRS to sort things out.
Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

I took a job at a grocery store near me to make ends meet, it's all there is around me that's available. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might try to deliver pizzas at night or something. I've honestly considered running some sort of illegal underground activity though, like maybe an underground basketball league that I could post on Youtube and create some sort of gambling site to complement.

Or just sell my body like a man whore if anyone is willing to pay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I took a job at a grocery store near me to make ends meet, it's all there is around me that's available. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I might try to deliver pizzas at night or something. I've honestly considered running some sort of illegal underground activity though, like maybe an underground basketball league that I could post on Youtube and create some sort of gambling site to complement.

Or just sell my body like a man whore if anyone is willing to pay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah illegal activities are being monitored more right now because of the virus. On top of the regular sentence you'd get more shit rn and it isn't worth it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You don't have enough cash to do that and give cops hush money.

Darkmakaimura

I really wish the IRS would release the simplified tax returns so I can file.

Getting fucking tired of this since I could really use that $1200.

The poorest people always get screwed in the end and I'm just too annoyed and pissed at everything going on both in my personal life and with the world right now.

nocsi

The poorest people always get screwed in the end and I'm just too annoyed and pissed at everything going on both in my personal life and with the world right now.
I mean i've made too much last year to qualify for any of the money. Just appreciate the stipend you're getting, no need for whining.

Filing taxes could not be easier.

What's stopping you? Do you not get w-2 or 1099?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Haven’t received shit, how does one get the relief money again? I’ve been so busy trying to figure out things with work and just be positive, all the while fighting this silent war against COVID-19 make all the right decisions I haven’t even checked into this

Does it only apply to those who aren’t working

deafmedal

Haven’t received shit, how does one get the relief money again? I’ve been so busy trying to figure out things with work and just be positive, all the while fighting this silent war against COVID-19 make all the right decisions I haven’t even checked into this

Does it only apply to those who aren’t working
75k single/150k joint or less gets the full amount then like $50 per thousand less up to 100k/200k who get nothing. Plus a bonus $500 per child. If you filed taxes in 18/19 and had the money direct deposited it’ll appear automagically eventually. If not, well if you want it you’ll figure it out.

Motherfuckers have no problem bailing out megacorporations with trillions but only spend a $1000 on it's citizens.

Top Bottom