• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(US) Hardware Estimates for 2007

professor_t said:
DS -- 10 million
PSP -- 4 million
PS3 -- 3.2 million
Wii -- 3.9 million
360 -- 4.7 million

However, if we're taking Mom & Pop stores into account, then:

DS -- 10 million
PSP -- 4 million
PS3 -- 3.2 million
Wii -- 147 million
360 -- 4.7 million

:lol :lol :lol

AniHawk

_leech_ said:
It's so ****ing early for this stuff, seriously. The Wii's going through a drought, the PS3's just starting to get worthwhile games other than Resistance, and who knows what Microsoft will do with the 360 hardware-wise.

I do. Did you even read my post?

Odysseus

Banned
rs7k said:
6 million for the Wii in the US

5.5 million for the 360

4 million for the PS3

not picking on this post in particular, but this is way too many consoles in my opinion

that's over 15 million home consoles sold in 2007, and that never happened in one year during the ps2 generation and these systems are all priced considerably higher than their last gen counterparts. i understand the market can grow, but i don't think this is the year to see it.

adelante

_leech_ said:
It's so ****ing early for this stuff, seriously. The Wii's going through a drought, the PS3's just starting to get worthwhile games other than Resistance, and who knows what Microsoft will do with the 360 hardware-wise.
Seeing as how a pricedrop is somewhat imminent:

Core packs will come with 20gig hdd...

Premium will be bundled with a bigger hhd and freakin' Halo 3.

Believe.

DS: 6.7 mill , the pokebomb hasn't dropped in NA yet.
PSP: 2.6 mill , it's just dwidling. good games mean jack if it's on a system with an identity crisis.

Wii: 4.9 mill , production issues will be a problem, but if nintendo pulls out some crazy wildcard game and increased production, this number can rise to lvls i would never expect.
360: 4.8 mill , just under the Wii, it'll cement it's position with hardcores and catch some more gamers, but still doesn't have the diversity to push it higher. Halo 3 will push, but by now most that wants Halo should probably already have a 360.
PS3: 2.6 mill , Price....sure certain pre-mentioned games will push sales but not as much as people would think. No price drop officially but retailers would do it just to push consoles out.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DS - 5 Million
Xbox 360 - 5 Million
PS2 - 2 Million
PS3 - 3 Million
Wii - 5 Million (They're still impossible to find and Nintendo isactually shipping these things.....)

That's a lot of consoles.....

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
_leech_ said:

That's why predictions are fun, dude.

GhaleonEB

duderon said:
That's why predictions are fun, dude.
No kidding. This will be an interesting thread next year this time, just as last year's thread is now. This year is so damn hard to call in the console space - so many variables and scenarios. All we can do is take a stab at which ones will play out.

VALIS

Well, I suppose it's a minor victory this thread got to post #58 before getting stupid. GameFAQ boards must be lagging at the moment.

DS: 7 Million (Would be more, but supply is going to hold them back)
PSP: 2.8 Million (I might be part of this 2.8 million estimate)
Wii: 6 Million (I believe it'll do approx 3 million just during the holiday season)
PS3: 3 Million (I won't be one of the 3 Million)
360: 6.6 Million (Price Drop, Awesome Lineup...this could be conservative considering their direction competition).
PS2: 2 Million
GBA: 2.5 Million
Gamecube: 224
Xbox: 19

JavyOO7

DS - 12M
Wii - 5M
X360 - 6M
PS3 - 3M
PSP - 2M

DS: Will ride on the strength of Pokemon for the entire year.
X360: All that matters is Halo 3. Halo 3 should most likely break some software records here and there first day. Should be 2nd to Pokemon DS when the year is over when it comes to total sales.
PS3: Software might be nice but 600 bucks is 600 bucks. Consumers will go to X360 and Wii to satisfy their tastes.
PSP: Probably 2nd to last year on market before Sony introduces PSP2.
Wii: Nintendo should have their shipping problems fixed. Super Mario Galaxy is their most important title of the year. If it rocks and is revolutionary then the Wii will sell 5M. If it sucks then I honestly see Wii underselling. Mario has had his revival in 2d now he could use another one for 3d.

AniHawk

JavyOO7 said:
DS - 12M
Wii - 5M
X360 - 6M
PS3 - 3M
PSP - 2M

DS: Will ride on the strength of Pokemon for the entire year.
X360: All that matters is Halo 3. Halo 3 should most likely break some software records here and there first day. Should be 2nd to Pokemon DS when the year is over when it comes to total sales.
PS3: Software might be nice but 600 bucks is 600 bucks. Consumers will go to X360 and Wii to satisfy their tastes.
PSP: Probably 2nd to last year on market before Sony introduces PSP2.
Wii: Nintendo should have their shipping problems fixed. Super Mario Galaxy is their most important title of the year. If it rocks and is revolutionary then the Wii will sell 5M. If it sucks then I honestly see Wii underselling. Mario has had his revival in 2d now he could use another one for 3d.

The DS will not average a million systems per month.

donny2112

JJConrad said:
I think it'll be more fun to wait for a professoinal to go first so we know what not to predict.

That's what I was thinking, too, but this could be interesting. This is basically a totally blind guess as we don't have January's data to begin trend analysis from. As you already said ...

JJConrad said:
I'm not going to try any predictions until I've had a little more time to study current trends and sales, I also want to see where everything settles post-Christmas. Until then any prediction would only be a blind guess.

:p

aloof said:
U.S. Predictions:

PS3 - 10 to 11 million
360 - 4 million
Wii - 2.5 million

This dude has no clue. Of course, I think we already knew that from his previous posts. :lol

Note: If I do the results for this next year (I did it for 2006), I'm only going to count people who predicted at least the following systems.

PS2
GBA
NDS
PSP
PS3
WII

That's at least 7 systems to predict for. If you have less than that and want to be sure to be included in the results, go back to add predictions for the missing systems.

2007 Predictions

1. NDS - 7.0 million
2. WII - 6.5 million
3. 360 - 6.0 million
4. PS2 - 4.1 million
5. PS3 - 3.8 million
6. PSP - 2.5 million
7. GBA - 2.4 million
8. GCN - 0.4 million
9. XBX - 0.0 million

Total: 32.8 million (shattering the previous number of systems sold in a year record)

Discussion

1. NDS - 7.0 million
This year is Pokemon for the DS and a continuation of its massive sales from the introduction for the DS Lite. GBA did almost 8 million in the year Pokemon was brought to the system, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the NDS go even higher.

2. WII - 6.5 million
This is the new PS2 for this generation as far as hardware sales go. The PS2 did over 6 million in its first full year. I suspect the WII will actually fall below 6.5 million, but that will be due to shortages next Christmas similar to the shortages this past Christmas. Nintendo is only projected to produce 12 million of these machines worldwide, so I'm counting on them increasing production during this year. :)

3. 360 - 6.0 million
If it weren't for Halo 3 coming out this year, this prediction would be more like 4.5 million (360 did 3.9 million last year). Halo 3 will bring in the console sales this fall, though.

4. PS2 - 4.1 million
It will continue its decline from the past few years (2005 being an aberration due to the shortages at the end of 2004 pushing some hardware sales to 2005), but it'll still sell pretty well. PS3 isn't an enticing system for most PS2 buyers, at this stage, to pick up, so most will still get a PS2. It'll be very interesting to see what happens if the PS2 drops to $99, but I think Sony won't do that this year to try to offset PS3 losses.

5. PS3 - 3.8 million
360 did 3.9 million in 2006, so this would put it basically even with the 360 after both system's first year on market. Considering the significantly higher price of the PS3 (in the general consumer's eye), that is saying quite a lot for the Playstation brand power.

6. PSP - 2.5 million
PSP was lower in 2006 than it was in 2005, and the system looks likely to continue a decline.

7. GBA - 2.4 million
Continuing its decline, as well, but this could also be affected by how many systems Nintendo actually puts out on the market. i.e. Nintendo may ship significantly fewer than 2.4 million to the U.S. in 2007.

8. GCN - 0.4 million
This is about half of its 2006 total, and this could also be affected by a lack of systems on the market.

9. XBX - 0.0 million
This is actually around 40-50K, but I'm only predicting to the nearest 100K. It'll sell about 1K per week for the year, and this is heavily due to Microsoft not putting any systems on the market.

Jewbacca

Banned
PS3 - 3 Million

360 - 5 million

Wii - 3.5 - 5.5 depending on production. Im sure it could sell 7 to 8 million if they can keep up with demand.

Branduil

aloof said:
U.S. Predictions:

PS3 - 10 to 11 million
360 - 4 million
Wii - 2.5 million

crazyfacemv3.jpg

Odysseus

Banned
donny2112 said:
2007 Predictions

1. NDS - 7.0 million
2. WII - 6.5 million
3. 360 - 6.0 million
4. PS2 - 4.1 million
5. PS3 - 3.8 million
6. PSP - 2.5 million
7. GBA - 2.4 million
8. GCN - 0.4 million
9. XBX - 0.0 million

Total: 32.8 million (shattering the previous number of systems sold in a year record)

and you expect this record to happen (including 16.3 million next generation systems) with wii at $250, 360 at $400, and ps3 at $600? even with price drops, it just defies reason. 2002 was the most lucrative year in the last generation, and that was with no console higher than $199 for the last 6.5 months of the year. 2002 was not a 16.3 million next-gen console year.

Odysseus said:
and you expect this record to happen (including 16.3 million next generation systems) with wii at $250, 360 at $400, and ps3 at $600? even with price drops, it just defies reason. 2002 was the most lucrative year in the last generation, and that was with no console higher than $199 for the last 6.5 months of the year. 2002 was not a 16.3 million next-gen console year.

Well, 2002 also didn't have 3 relatively high selling portables. The PSP+DS+GBA combination will sell a lot more than the GBA(SP) did back then. Also, the PS2 will probably still sell strong, while I expect the 360 to increase over last year by a fair amount. The Wii could further become a "cultural phenomenon" while the PS3 could surprise us.

The Gamecube sold for shit, the Xbox sold for shit, the 64 was dead, the PSOne was on it's way out, and only the PS2/GBA had great sales in 2002.

I think it can happen. Believe.

Bildi

I think the market will be split evenly, like so:

PS3: 50%
Wii: 50%
360: 50%

The other 1/3 will go to handhelds.

donny2112

Odysseus said:
and you expect this record to happen (including 16.3 million next generation systems) with wii at $250, 360 at $400, and ps3 at $600?

I expect it to break it due to having three viable console systems (vs. usually two (GCN+XBX = 1 decent PS2 competitor) in previous generations) and three decent handhelds selling (vs. usually one in previous generations). The total for the year definitely gives me severe pause due to the total money being spent, but that's what I'm putting down for the year as of January. By March, I may have different totals in mind, though. :p

Odysseus

Banned
donny2112 said:
I expect it to break it due to having three viable console systems (vs. usually two (GCN+XBX = 1 decent PS2 competitor) in previous generations) and three decent handhelds selling (vs. usually one in previous generations). The total for the year definitely gives me severe pause due to the total money being spent, but that's what I'm putting down for the year as of January. By March, I may have different totals in mind, though. :p

i just don't see that many people being ready to part with that much money. for it to happen, nintendo would have to be crazy successful attracting new gamers, and they might even have to buy stuff twice.

koam

Those wii estimates are pretty damn low considering that it will probably have 3.5 million by april 1st. This number derives from the fact that they plan to ship 7 million* by april 1st and i'm removing the 2006 sales.

Odysseus

Banned
koam said:
Those wii estimates are pretty damn low considering that it will probably have 3.5 million by april 1st. This number derives from the fact that they plan to sell 7 million* by april 1st and i'm removing the 2006 sales.

this here thread is about the good ol u s of a

AniHawk

koam said:
Those wii estimates are pretty damn low considering that it will probably have 3.5 million by april 1st. This number derives from the fact that they plan to sell 7 million* by april 1st and i'm removing the 2006 sales.

It's supposed to hit 6/7 million in worldwide shipments, not US shipments/sales.

AniHawk said:
All the PS3 needs to do is sell about 900k a month.
Pshaw. Just a scant half-million each month through October, 1.7 million in November and 3.3 million in December.

koam said:
It might be approaching that for 2007 worldwide by April, though considering a good 800K were supposed to be in shipping at the end of the year I wouldn't even expect a full 3 million sold by then.

I don't expect the PS3 to stay low all year.Come summer with the release of some good title I see them starting to sell more hardware than microsoft for the rest of the year.Maybe only november will Sony get behind a bit,but not by much.

Like pretty much all people, I believe the Wii to be the wildcard.If they can generate and keep a big buzz all year with a good flow of traditional and wild game,I expect them to be alone in front and for all this generation.

unomas

Banned
X360 4.7 million- Based on Grand Theft Auto 4 and Halo 3 releasing in the fall. Combine that with a possible price cut on both the core and premium and those who bought a PS2 for casual games like GTA and Madden could turn over a new leaf. You still can't get GTA on the Wii, and surely those who picked up San Andreas will be anticipating the sequel.

Wii 4.4 million- The Wii needs games that will appeal to non Nintendo fans, you can only ride the hot and new train for so long. I've yet to meet a non gamer that purchased a Wii because of the experience/hype. I've met some excited parents that wanted to purchase one for junior because they viewed it as a possible alternative to no physical activity. Will it remain a kids Christmas gift when the hype dies down or will the software sell the system to potential 360 and PS3 owners?

PS3 3.6 million- The $600 price tag (seeing as how nobody wants the $500 version) is obviously the major roadblock. Throw in the obvious software drought and people seeing the 360 as a good alternative and you have Sony pulling up the rear.

«þ»

Wii - 4.3 million
X360 - 4.6 million
PS3 - 3.3 million
DS - 6.9 million
PSP - 3.0 million
GBA - 2.0 million
PS2 - 3.7 million
GC - 0.4 million
XB - 0.1 million

Deku

Banned
NDS
8 million

X360
6 million

PS2
5 million

Wii
4.5 million

PSP
3.3 million

PS3
3.3 million

Edit: fixed typo. Adjusted PS2 figure down.

2007 Predictions

1. NDS - 7.0 million
2. WII - 4.2 million
3. 360 - 4.0 million
4. PS2 - 3.9 million
5. PS3 - 3.3 million
6. PSP - 2.2 million
7. GBA - 1.8 million
8. GCN - 0.5 million
9. XBX - 0.0 million

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Ok, let me try:

DS ~ 7.8m - Pokebomb and a $30 price cut.
Wii ~ 5.5m - The new phenomenon, Its sales will only restricted by Nintendo's production capacity.
PS3 ~ 4.5m - It will sell, no doubt about it.
X360 ~ 4.5m - A little bit better than last year result because of so much great titles it will have in the next 12 months.
PS2 ~ 4m - Its sales will decrease this year dramatically.
PSP ~ 3m - Maybe a price cut helps it.
GBA ~ 2m
GC ~ 200k
Xbox ~ 40k

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DS - 7.3 million
Wii - 6.2 million
360 - 4.9 million
PS2 - 3.8 million
PS3 - 3.2 million
PSP - 2.8 million
Tiger Handheld version of Double Dragon II that is on a watch: 1.4 million

Notes:
DS - Pokemon.
Wii - Wii Fitness .
360 - Halo 3.
PS2 - 90 bazallion games worth playing for it.
PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4?
PSP - UMDs go down to 5 dollars a piece, the price they should have been the first place, plus price drop.
Tiger Handheld version of Double Dragon II that is on a watch- it is a near unplayable version of Double Dragon II but I expect a sudden spike in Double Dragon popularity with a newly DVD SE release of the movie to help sell Tiger's overstock on this ink game adaptation.

Rhindle

Isn't anyone other than aloof going to predict that PS3 will beat the 360 by the end of 2007?

Wasn't that a main tenet of the faith?

Top Bottom