• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [3/30 - 4/5]

tanod

when is my burrito
lopaz said:
no one would have to wait in line if scalpers weren't waiting in line and buying up all the wiis

Yeah, because lazy rich people aren't buying them from the scalpers on Ebay.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Truespeed said:
I really doubt that. The majority of the people buying a PS3 nowadays don't really care about PS2 compatibility.

Even if that's true, you don't need a majority just to affect sales. Even if the people that care about BC is only 25%, that's still a 25% of people who are waiting until June.

Besides, how can you claim this? Do you work in retail, talking with the general public often about the PS3? Because I do!

Truespeed said:
Yes, there will always be that small minority that will hold out, but if they saw how jank their PS2 games looked on an HDTV they would also move on.

You seriously don't know the general public. Most people don't even buy component cables for their PS3's.

lopaz

Banned
I don't believe a 100m+ selling console with a massive library of games won't create demand for BC. I'd wager most people buying a PS3 have a PS2, and wouldn't mind being able to trade it in and having a PS3 that could play all their games without having to switch consoles all the time.

Sharp

The Take Out Bandit said:
Wow, so is this like an Anecdotal Evidence Weekly support thread? :lol
Pretty much. Still provides a valuable service to GAFers who don't want to head on over to ioi's site.

Arde5643

Sharp said:
Pretty much. Still provides a valuable service to GAFers who don't want to head on over to ioi's site.
That's not saying much - horse shit is still better than ioi's site.

Truespeed

ZealousD said:
Even if that's true, you don't need a majority just to affect sales. Even if the people that care about BC is only 25%, that's still a 25% of people who are waiting until June.

Besides, how can you claim this? Do you work in retail, talking with the general public often about the PS3? Because I do!

This is my just perception of the situation. As someone who used to be a proponent of BC, after playing my PS2 games on my HDTV I just couldn't take the horrific pixel abuse anymore.

ZealousD said:
You seriously don't know the general public. Most people don't even buy component cables for their PS3's.

I see. So are you suggesting the majority are using their PS3's on their SDTV's or are you suggesting that they're too stupid to buy the proper cable?

lopaz

Banned
Truespeed said:
This is my just perception of the situation. As someone who used to be a proponent of BC, after playing my PS2 games on my HDTV I just couldn't take the horrific pixel abuse anymore.

I see. So are you suggesting the majority are using their PS3's on their SDTV's or are you suggesting that they're too stupid to buy the proper cable?

Most people are not super concerned about having only the highest in graphic quality. People are buying PS2s and Wiis by the millions. It's quite a minority position to think last gen grahpics are intolerable pixel abuse.

Truespeed said:

You'd be surprised how many people who own HDTVs have no idea what various cables are required for proper use.

ZealousD

Truespeed said:

So you think everybody thinks like you?

All of the above. HDTV adoption is still low and it's still a very confusing world for the masses. People tend to just hook their consoles up using the cables they're provided.

Stupid is not the right word. Uneducated is better here.

Reilly

I saw a guy buy a PS3 yesterday with an extra controller (dumbass), a remote and a game I couldn't see.

Redd

Pai Pai Master said:
You'd be surprised how many people who own HDTVs have no idea what various cables are required for proper use.

So true my old man spent over 3000 on a brand new hdtv and was watching stuff in SD. He just liked it because it was big and flat.

Schrade

Reilly said:
I saw a guy buy a PS3 yesterday with an extra controller (dumbass), a remote and a game I couldn't see.
Come on... you should have been nice and told him about the Dual Shock 3. He probably didn't know about it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Redd said:
So true my old man spent over 3000 on a brand new hdtv and was watching stuff in SD. He just liked it because it was big and flat.

one day they'll stop making SD cables.

one day

MechDX

Pai Pai Master said:

90% of the time its the manufacture's fault for including SD cables to begin with.

At least include some component cables!

GPsych

While I do not work in retail, I know several people who work at various gamestops in the San Antonio, TX, area. At two gamestops on the northern side (wealthy) of the city, I was told that the Wii had a monster month as usual. The PS3 appeared to have had a slight edge over the 360 over the last couple of weeks, but I was told the opposite by a gamestop manager I know on the east side of town (poor, 70% at-risk for dropping out of school, 90% free lunch). Really, it seems like the PS3 and the 360 are selling equally in San Antonio. I would be interested to hear some hard numbers from anyone who works in my neck of the woods.

tanod

when is my burrito
Reilly said:

Dual Shock 3s are in stores now. He could have gotten one of those.

Xirj said:
Yeah you're real cool buddy. Everytime I walked by a scalper at a concert I thought, "Yeah, I want that job, that's fantastic!"

i dont get this mentality.... not at all.

How is he "evil"? He's selling a product and people are buying it for a price they are more than willing to pay. Good old fashioned capitalism at work.

He has supply, there's a demand = profit.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
first no Snah now no AlteredBeast. No comedy or data :(.
Will this thread be worth reading anymore?

wait
PSP - Sold out. People buying the system for Crisis Core. We've sold a ton of Crisis Core lately.
! nice

Rolf NB

ZealousD said:
No offense, but a good proportion of them just don't buy their cables from you. Cable prices in B&M stores tend to be pretty abusive, and the wonders of the internet, ebay and monoprice have already permeated the shopping culture somewhat. Cables are light enough and robust enough to survive the roughest imaginable shipping, and you don't need them immediately just to check out a new system.

cakefoo

I know there's a huge joke about Amazon bestsellers, but I'm very puzzled about something:

I've been watching the Wii/PS3/X360 ranks since the supply constraints in January, and the 360 has actually worsened since it came back in stock several weeks ago. It was once ranked 45-ish in February, and is now ranked 67th.

Why are Amazon buyers avoiding it so much? I know Amazon shoppers tend to be thrifty, but are they THAT thrifty that the price-drop rumor is affecting sales this dramatically?

Evlar

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Has the bottom fallen out on eBay yet or is still selling well above cost? Really curious since Nintendo has two HUGE game coming in the next month and i'm expecting them to over-ship.
Bottom was out on eBay yesterday, but I expect that will be a temporary dip. On a day when major shipments arrive at multiple retailers fewer people are willing to go through the hassle of purchasing on eBay.

gtj1092

GPsych said:
While I do not work in retail, I know several people who work at various gamestops in the San Antonio, TX, area. At two gamestops on the northern side (wealthy) of the city, I was told that the Wii had a monster month as usual. The PS3 appeared to have had a slight edge over the 360 over the last couple of weeks, but I was told the opposite by a gamestop manager I know on the east side of town (poor, 70% at-risk for dropping out of school, 90% free lunch). Really, it seems like the PS3 and the 360 are selling equally in San Antonio. I would be interested to hear some hard numbers from anyone who works in my neck of the woods.

You are from San Antonio? If so what highschool did you go to?

My local costco been out of stock for xbox 360 for a few weeks now. I asked one person, he said they should be getting some soon but don't know when, thats the response I got last time too.

ZealousD

bcn-ron said:
No offense, but a good proportion of them just don't buy their cables from you. Cable prices in B&M stores tend to be pretty abusive, and the wonders of the internet, ebay and monoprice have already permeated the shopping culture somewhat. Cables are light enough and robust enough to survive the roughest imaginable shipping, and you don't need them immediately just to check out a new system.

You really think the average consumer buys their cables from monoprice?

cakefoo said:
Why are Amazon buyers avoiding it so much? I know Amazon shoppers tend to be thrifty, but are they THAT thrifty that the price-drop rumor is affecting sales this dramatically?

I don't think so. At the very least, I haven't heard customers talking about price drops recently.

MS would still be stupid not to at this point.

cakefoo said:
I know there's a huge joke about Amazon bestsellers, but I'm very puzzled about something:

I've been watching the Wii/PS3/X360 ranks since the supply constraints in January, and the 360 has actually worsened since it came back in stock several weeks ago. It was once ranked 45-ish in February, and is now ranked 67th.

I dunno, ask Snah. I really don't think Amazon "best-sellers" lists have any major bearing on the overall market.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
test_account said:
Excuse my ignorance, but asking about what?

Gamestop clerks usually have to pester people for preorders. This time, two people came up and preordered it.

ZealousD

test_account said:
Excuse my ignorance, but asking about what?

For the preorder. Basically, they walked up and said "I want to preorder Grand Theft Auto".

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
ZealousD said:
You really think the average consumer buys their cables from monoprice?

Some people like that argument when it fits what they want. The consumer is so educated they buy their cables from monoprice, but too stupid to understand, or want, DLC. You're just not looking at it with the right glasses on ZealousD. :D

Innotech

Banned
ZealousD said:
For the preorder. Basically, they walked up and said "I want to preorder Grand Theft Auto".
I remember when I went up and said "I want to preorder niGHTS Journey of Dreams" and I thought the girl over the counter was going to hug me or something (shes a huge niGHTS fan apparently and not many people bought the game there) :lol

Truespeed

ZealousD said:
So you think everybody thinks like you?

All of the above. HDTV adoption is still low and it's still a very confusing world for the masses. People tend to just hook their consoles up using the cables they're provided.

Stupid is not the right word. Uneducated is better here.

They probably would after seeing their PS2 games on an HDTV. Did I mention they look ugly? As for the adoption of HDTV's, well I'm not sure about that either. You basically can't even buy a CRT TV nowadays and with the switch to digital transmission in 2009 the adoption rate is just going to escalate exponentially.

lopaz

Banned
Truespeed said:
They probably would after seeing their PS2 games on an HDTV. Did I mention they look ugly? As for the adoption of HDTV's, well I'm not sure about that either. You basically can't even buy a CRT TV nowadays and with the switch to digital transmission in 2009 the adoption rate is just going to escalate exponentially.

If you think any sizeable amount of people are such unspeakable graphic's whores as yourself, you are mistaken :)

I went to a Best Buy, a TRU and a Gamestop last week. At each store, I saw someone buying a PS3. I'm not sure if its just for when GTA or MGS4 releases or part of a longer, more sustained trend. Just have to wait and see I guess.

At the Best Buy, there was an older gent trying out the Wii, but what game did they have for him? Smash Bros Brawl. Poor old guy probably heard about the Wii but they didnt have a Wii Sports game for him to try. The Wii stations only have one set of controllers, so there's no two player mode for Brawl, which is stupid. I suppose having actual game demos is still an improvement from that goddamn "my name is Susie" video. Nintendo's marketing is really just all over the place.

GPsych

gtj1092 said:
You are from San Antonio? If so what highschool did you go to?

I went to Alamo Heights, but don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy. :D I graduated way back in 1996. Currently, I'm a psychologist at Judson ISD, Wagner High School specifically.

ZealousD

Truespeed said:
As for the adoption of HDTV's, well I'm not sure about that either.

I also worked in technical support for DirecTV in Fall 06 for about 3 months. For DTV customers during that period, HD adoption couldn't have been over one-third. I doubt the number has increased drastically since then.

gtj1092

GPsych said:
I went to Alamo Heights, but don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy. :D I graduated way back in 1996. Currently, I'm a psychologist at Judson ISD, Wagner High School specifically.

Alamo heights:lol :lol j/k

I went to health careers. Cool that there is some here from SAtown.

Quick question to the Gamestop/EbGames people:

How much credit do you give for to used Gamecubes if I trade it in towards a purchase of a new Wii?

Top Bottom