• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA history in videogames

hitoshi

dr8aa.png

So...spending my days with Assassin's Creed III reminded me how lucky Americans are: their entire history is recorded in videogames! I thought why not compile them - so I did. I've tried to write down every major (and good!) videogame about the history of the United States. I had a few rules.

I've tried avoiding games not set on the American continent, so WWII-Korea-Vietnam-Iraq are out of the question. They have a major part in the history of the USA, but that would have made the list infinitely longer, especially with WWII games. Sorry about that. Also, I've tried looking up games which tend to be accurate: they could have fictional (for example: their entire stry) elements, but most of the game should stick to reality, showing a realistic portrait of the era they are representing.

Long story short, strap in, a history lesson is starting:

--------------------------

FQOlb.png

SID MEIER'S COLONIZATION - SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION IV: COLONIZATION
Developer: MicroProse / Firaxis | Publisher: MicroProse / Take-Two | Release Date: 1994 / 2008 | Genre: Turn-based strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sid-meiers-colonization

"Sid Meier's Colonization is a strategy game which puts you in the role of Viceroy of the New World. You are sent by your King and country to establish colonies in the newly-discovered Americas that lie to the west. You face many of the same challenges that faced colonial organizers of the time-competition from other Old World powers, strange native cultures, the problems of establishing profitable trade programs, and the problems of organizing an army from a rag-tag band of colonists. The game begins with the European discovery of the Americas (1500) and continues until approximately the time of the American Revolution (1800). In the beginning of the game you are given a trading/exploration ship and a small group of colonists. You have no knowledge of what lies ahead of your ship, so you must explore until you find a suitable spot to lay down your first colony. As your colonies grow larger and larger, you inevitably encounter native populations and are confronted with competing imperial powers from the Old World."

4ODA7.png

AGE OF EMPIRES III
Developer: Ensemble Studios | Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios | Release Date: 2005 | Genre: Real-time strategy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_empires_iii

"The game portrays the European colonization of the Americas, between approximately 1492 and 1850 AD (expanded in Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs to 1876). There are eight European civilizations to play within the game."

JLNwg.png

AMERICAN CONQUEST
Developer: GSC Game World | Publisher: CDV | Release Date: 2003 | Genre: Real-time strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/american-conquest

"American Conquest is a realtime-strategy game with masses of enemies and allies - you have to conquer (as the game-title suggests) and defend the American continent. The game features the wars and struggles from 1492 to 1813, a multiplayer-mode, up to 16.000 units, 12 nations you can play (from Hispanics to Sioux) and a 3D graphics-engine...

American Conquest combines realtime strategy with complex tactics features. You have to control huge armies, find the best formation and build up strong companies and find the best blend of long and short range units. There are 100 different units and 106 buildings."

eb7AZ.png

NO MAN'S LAND
Developer: Related Designs | [/b]Publisher:[/b] CDV | Release Date: 2003 | Genre: Strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/no-mans-land

"A real-time-strategy set in the period of early America. Experience the fascinating story of the settlement of the New World. Decide the fate of six different nations including the Spanish, North American Indians, English, Patriots and Settlers through 300 years of American history as you struggle for freedom and justice. Three campaigns allow you to experience the history surrounding the settlement of America."

xVBaO.png

EMPIRE: TOTAL WAR
Developer: The Creative Assembly | Publisher: Sega | Release date: 2009 | Genre: Strategy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire:_Total_War

"Empire: Total War is focused on exploration, economics, politics, religion, the founding of colonies and, ultimately, conquest. The game is set in the early modern period, spanning from 1701 to the early 19th century allowing players to lead a variety of contemporary factions to dominate Europe, North Africa, the Americas and the Indies. The player will use both complex strategies on the campaign map as well as command military forces in battles on both land and sea. As with previous Total War games, Empire: Total War consists of two broad areas of gameplay: a turn-based geopolitical campaign that allows the user to move armies and navies across the globe, conduct diplomacy, trade, espionage, and the internal politics of their nation, and other tasks needed to run their nation, as well as a real-time battle mode that enables players to direct the course of any battles that take place."

Itgci.png

ANNO 1701
Developer: Related Designs | Publisher: Sunflowers | Release Date: 2006 | Genre: Strategy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_1701

"Anno 1701, also marketed as 1701 A.D., is a video game with both real time strategy and city building elements, developed by Germany-based Sunflowers Interactive Entertainment Software company. It revolves around building and maintaining an 18th century colony in the "New World". It is part of the Anno series of game"

f9XoB.png

ASSASSIN'S CREED III
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal | Publisher: Ubisoft | Release Date: 2012 | Genre: Action-adventure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_III

"The main portion of Assassin's Creed III is set before, during and after the American Revolution from 1753 to 1783,[10] featuring a new protagonist: half-English and half-Native American, Connor Kenway, birth name Ratonhnhaké:ton (pronounced "Ra-doon-ha-gay-doon").[11] In addition to the historical period, the game also features the "present day" setting, where series' protagonist Desmond Miles must adventure to prevent a fictional 2012 apocalypse, as his story develops and reaches a conclusion. The game features a new engine, Anvil Next,[12] built from the ground up, the engine is said to utilize full capability of current generation systems to deliver a "next-gen Assassin's Creed experience."

h9ctz.png

LIBERTY OR DEATH
Developer: Koei | Publisher: Koei | Release Date: 1994 | Genre: Strategy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_or_Death_(video_game)

The player can choose to control any of six Commanders-in-Chief, three each on the American Continental Army or British Army sides, during the American Revolutionary War.

For either side, the general objective is to eliminate all enemy troops throughout the Colonies by defeating them in battle. The strategies used to accomplish this change are based on which side you have chosen to play: the American side needs to hold out against the British and slowly gather its strength, while the British need to fortify their existing positions and quickly move against the Americans.

The gameplay focuses mainly on the military aspects of the conflict, but relationships with civilian, and particularly political, entities are of vital importance as their approval determines the budget for military spending, and in the worst-case scenario, they can vote for your ouster as C-in-C. Very historically accurate, the game faithfully reproduces the strategic situation of the war as well as many historical figures in great detail.

This game is known among players for its thoroughly researched historical detail, great complexity, level of difficulty, and the immense amount of time it takes to complete one game (similar to the experience of other Koei games). One could easily spend upwards of 250 hours on one game and might still be defeated in the end. The user interface showed many improvements over previous Koei games, including mouse support. The game can be played in one-player mode, two-player mode, or with two computer-generated players.

fr0e6.png

THE OREGON TRAIL
Developer: MECC | Publisher: Softswap | Release Date: 1982 | Genre: Strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/oregon-trail

"As a covered wagon party of pioneers, you head out west from Independence, Missouri to the Willamette River and valley in Oregon. You first must stock up on provisions, and then, while traveling, make decisions such as when to rest, how much food to eat, etc. The Oregon Trail incorporates simulation elements and planning ahead, along with discovery and adventure, as well as mini-game-like activities (hunting and floating down the Dalles River)."

NyNgO.png

FREEDOM!
Developer: MECC | Publisher: MECC | Release Date: 1993 | Genre: Edutainment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom!

Freedom! was an educational computer game developed by MECC. The player assumed the role of a runaway slave in the Antebellum Period of American history who was trying to reach the North through the Underground Railroad. The game met a mixed reception; some educators found it valuable while others found it racially offensive due to its use of stereotyped speech by slave characters.

0j0ht.png

NORTH AND SOUTH
Developer: Infogrames | Publisher: Infogrames | Release Date: 1989 | Genre: Strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/north-south

"Based on the Belgian comic book, "Les Tuniques Bleues", this strategy game allows you to replay the American Civil War from both the North and the South sides.

In the strategy part of the game, you can move your troops on a map of the US. If two opposing armies enter the same state, the battle is played out in an action sequence. Additional action sequences must be accomplished when capturing an enemy fort or train"

C4SDr.png

SID MEIER'S GETTYSBURG
Developer: Firaxis | Publisher: Electronic Arts | Release Date: 1997 | Genre: Strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sid-meiers-gettysburg

"Sid Meier's Gettysburg recreates the key battle of the American Civil War in real-time, over the exact terrain the soldiers faced. You can take control of the forces of either side, in either real or simulated situations.

You must direct them into strategically advantageous positions, bearing line-of-sight and fog-of-war considerations in mind. Select the right formation for the situation from a large number of plans. The speed of the game can be altered depending on how busy things are."

hKJqd.png

SID MEIER'S ANTIETAM!
Developer: Firaxis | Publisher: Electronic Arts | Release Date: 1998 | Genre: Strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sid-meiers-antietam

"Antietam! is the sequel to Gettysburg!, the first real-time Civil War wargame. Command either the Union or the Confederate side, and fight the different engagements. Includes theoretical engagements, random scenario generators, and more"

P7MjT.png

SID MEIER'S RAILROAD TYCOON
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: MicroProse | Release Date: 1990 | Genre: Business simulation - Strategy

"The objective of the game is to build and manage a railroad company by laying track, building stations, and buying and scheduling trains. The player may start companies in any of four geographic locales: the Western United States, Northeast United States, Great Britain, or Continental Europe. The company starts with one million dollars in capital; hhttp://i.imgur.com/OJ9Ry.png company may raise additional capital through the sale of bonds."

OJ9Ry.png

A.M.E.R.I.C.A.
Developer: Related Designs | Publisher: Data Becker | Release Date:[/b] 2001 | Genre:[/b] Strategy

http://www.mobygames.com/game/america

"A*M*E*R*I*C*A is a Wild West-themed real-time strategy game set over 90 years in post civil war America. The events portrayed in America are taken straight from the annals of American history. Players choose between Native Americans (specifically the Sioux tribe), Mexicans, Outlaws, or the Settlers in an attempt to settle the wild western frontier. Each side has certain advantages abilities and limitations to help balance out the sides. As in a typical real-time strategy game, workers gather resources to pay for units and buildings."

6FR2I.png

RED DEAD REDEMPTION
Developer: Rockstar | Publisher: Rockstar | Release Date: 2010 | Genre:/ Action

http://www.mobygames.com/game/red-dead-redemption

"The game is set in 1911, where players take control of John Marston; an outlaw who is forced to turn on his peers when federal agents threaten his family. He is sent to the American frontier to capture his former gang members, especially the notorious leader Bill Williamson.

In the open world, the player is free to pursue to the storyline or to partake in the various events that occur while exploring the West; similar in overall design to Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series. Horses are the main means of transportation, and the player can whistle for their mount at any time. Players can also visit towns, talk to other characters, and join or intervene in events such as public hangings, ambushes and robberies. Many of these are random, including dangerous animal attacks and bandit ambushes. Other activities include hunting, gambling, duels and standoffs, with guns as the main weapon."

fJnh7.png

GANGSTERS: ORGANIZED CRIME
Developer: Hothouse Creations | Publisher: Eidos Interactive | Release Date: 1998 | Genre: Strategy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangsters_(computer_game)

"Gangsters: Organized Crime is set in a fictional city in Prohibition-era America, featuring over 5000 citizens including 400 individual gangsters. The player's goal is to take all the riches, through bribery, theft and aggression.

Gameplay is a combination of Sim City-style building and turn-based planning, where you have lieutenants who do the dirty work for you. The more blocks in the city you take over, the more people you have loving your work, making it easier to control each area. But be careful, there are three other gangs out there, so blood can get spilled easily."

Npkhf.png

L.A. NOIRE
Developer: Team Bondi | Publisher: Rockstar Games | Release Date: 2011 | Genre: Action

L.A. Noire is a 2011 neo-noir crime video game developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games. It was released for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. L.A. Noire is set in Los Angeles in 1947 and challenges the player, controlling a Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officer, to solve a range of cases across five departments.[13] Players must investigate crime scenes for clues, follow up leads, and interrogate suspects, and the players' success at these activities will impact how much of the cases' stories are revealed.

The game draws heavily from both the plot and aesthetic elements of film noir, stylistic films made popular in the 1940s and 1950s that share similar visual styles and themes including crime, sex, and moral ambiguity. The game uses a distinctive colouring-style, but in homage to film noir it includes the option to play the game in black-and-white. Various plot elements reference the major themes of gum-shoe detective and mobster stories such as Key Largo, Chinatown, The Untouchables, The Black Dahlia, and L.A. Confidential.

nje0o.png

THE POLITICAL MACHINE 2012
Developer: Stardock | Publisher: Stardock | Release Date: 2012 | Genre: Government simulation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Political_Machine_2012

"The Political Machine 2012 is a government simulation game from Stardock and the third game in the Political Machine series, in which the player leads a campaign to elect the President of the United States. The player accomplishes this goal by traveling from state to state and engaging in a variety of activities to either raise money or raise poll numbers."

--------------------------

What's your favourite? Do you think that more could be done, or there are some eras which were never fully explored through videogames? Do you have an event, a decade you forever wanted to explore, but nobody made a videogame about it? Feel free to add anything I might have missed - there are a lot of hidden gems out there!

*Liberty or Death suggested by terrisus
*L.A. Noire suggested by TheFightingFish

Vietcong? (there never really was a realistic Vietnam game, was there..)

Axis & allies? (the allied part is certainly tilted in the favour of the US and Britain)

Red Alert?
no, comrade premier: it's only just begun

Decent thread idea though, but I don't think "history" would the correct word to associate with games. More like: "historical myths" or something along those lines.

gurudyne

Vietcong? (there never really was a realistic Vietnam game, was there..)

Would a game based around America's greatest failure do well in this climate of Bay-esque masturbatory American military hypertestosterone fantasies?

Needs more frontiersman era, 1950s Americana/Cold War, 1960's freakout and gangland Chicago, but damned impressive list as it stands.

Nice OP, and an interesting idea.

The Mafia games would fix the bill no? Or maybe L.A. Noire? I think those would both fit as being a bit more American versus Anno (which is more generic "New World").

There would also be a ton of Civil War games if you dig deeper into the wargaming back catalog, but Sid Meier's Gettysburg is probably the best of the bunch anyways, so having that as a stand-in for all those games probably works.

terrisus

Oh shit, that games looks awesome! It's presentation comes across like a fan mod for Advance Wars or something. wow.

Like basically all of Koei's Sim/Strategy games, it is indeed awesome.
I know I had just started a conversation about these games in another thread of a similar nature, but can't hurt to bring it up again.

Furio53

What do you mean by "real"? There are 3 civil war games listed in the OP.

Sorry, yeah. I played all of those, but what I meant was I'd love to see a civil war game thats not just a strategy game. Something that can capture the scale of the battles, the insanity of it all.

Being a colonial contact history buff, I really tried getting into Civ IV: Colonization but it kinda sucked.

I would ad Sid Meier's Pirates! on that list. Although, it's not exactly on mainland USA, it illustrates a vital part of the North American Caribbean trade.

itxaka

Defeatist
So...spending my days with Assassin's Creed III reminded me how lucky Americans are: their entire history is recorded in videogames! I thought why not compile them - so I did. I've tried to write down every major (and good!) videogame about the history of the United States. I had a few rules.

Ummm...

Unless Im mistaken, Europe also has their almost whole history in videogames. Not sure if serious or America Fuck Yeah?

hitoshi

Ummm...

Unless Im mistaken, Europe also has their almost whole history in videogames. Not sure if serious or America Fuck Yeah?

Thats entirely true and I have never doubted that: it's just, as I said, I am currently playing through AC3 and it got me in the mood. I will make a European list as well if you'd like :)

itxaka

Defeatist
Thats entirely true and I have never doubted that: it's just, as I said, I am currently playing through AC3 and it got me in the mood. I will make a European list as well if you'd like :)

Mi mistake then, I thougth it was implied that Americans had it unless other parts of the world (Like Australia :p)

I love this thread.
You did a great job breaking everything down.
The USA maps showing each game is a nice touch.

I want to play liberty or death right now!!!

Llyranor

To me, these are the best American Civil War grand tactical wargames out there. Amazing gameplay. Lining up men to shoot and die has never been such a compelling experience.

Take Command: 2nd Manassas
DUeP0.jpg

Scourge of War: Gettysberg
2pepg.jpg

Sorry, yeah. I played all of those, but what I meant was I'd love to see a civil war game thats not just a strategy game. Something that can capture the scale of the battles, the insanity of it all.
Some battles in those aforementionned games features tens and tens of thousands of men. See that 2nd screenshot? There are units fighting in the background. The map and scale are huge. It is grand tactical, not just tactical. There is no 'strategic' 'ressource acquisition layer.

Top Bottom