• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: How Nintendo stole the show from Apple

Nintendo's pretty smart with this. Release a basic Mario game to get people interested in the franchise. Want a more enriched Mario experience? Go buy a NX!

MutFox

Banned
The game itself. It's "free to start", where you can download the game for free but can only play a few levels before having to pay.

Keep in mind that this is the worse performing kind of mobile monetization scheme there is. Historically, the conversion rates are terribly low and it has fallen out of flavor years ago. Let's see how Nintendo fares with it.

They're testing the water it seems.
Their next game will probably have a different monetization scheme.

Wonder how much the game will be...
$5 - $10?? maybe more? :p

Anyways, it's a good ad for Mario just playing the demo.

Cuburt

And from Sony:

Crx_Dj8WIAA_qwY.jpg

One game at someone else's event stole the show today period. That's incredible.

G6mOzr.gif

Is this type of nonsense going to be regurgitated every time Nintendo announces a new mobile title?
No need to get all hot and bothered over someone else's conjecture. You always seem to get so pissed at anything I post, lol
so since sony said they are pursuing mobile now should we say the same thing?
You could if you wanted to, but nintendo's machines are doing either abysmally or mediocre in comparison to its predecessor, and the ps4 is sony's fastest selling console ever.

Don't see why this is a surprise. Nintendo IPs will always have a huge draw.

Expect similar when the reveal fire emblem and animal crossing.

The model adopted with Mario (free initially, plus set purchase price) seems the right way to go.

Also the shit posting of 'at least Nintendo gave us ...., They will be missed' seems ridiculous when looking at BotW.

I mean Mario's still the most recognizable video game character of all time. He and by extension Nintendo get a lot of exposure whenever he appears outside of a Nintendo's marketing bubble. I mean look how much attention he got at the Olympics. Problem is he doesn't have a good enough platform to reach a large audience. NX might be that platform depending on how appealing it is to the mass market but if not, phones are guaranteed to have a mass market audience. That's not to say that there won't be dedicated console game from Nintendo, we're getting a new one next year, but having Nintendo games on mobile increases brand awareness and mind share and eventually, the audience, if a fraction of them, on phones are going to want more.

There's no reason to see stuff like Miitomo, Mario, and Pokemon Go as anything but net positives for the company. Nintendo's been handling this stuff better than I thought.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Contrast Nintendo stock's big jump with the barely noticeable 68 cent, or 0.6%, rise in Apple's own shares to $108.38 after the meeting.

This doesn't suggest Nintendo "stole the show from Apple", this suggests Apple had already priced in the announcements because they were already leaked months ago and Nintendo has not tipped its hand about mobile stuff yet. It also suggests Nintendo needs Apple more than Apple needs Nintendo. If we're going to pretend stock movement means something, let's at least go with what it actually means

Nosgotham

This doesn't suggest Nintendo "stole the show from Apple", this suggests Apple had already priced in the announcements because they were already leaked months ago and Nintendo has not tipped its hand about mobile stuff yet. It also suggests Nintendo needs Apple more than Apple needs Nintendo. If we're going to pretend stock movement means something, let's at least go with what it actually means

agrees. a weird metric. should have used social media mentions

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The base download is a free demo. The rest is a one-time IAP. They made it quite clear there are no micro transactions.

Investors aren't going to like that because, and I want you to imagine I'm doing the most cartoonishly sniveling voice possible, it "doesn't represent a source of 'recurring revenue'"

No I'm not salty about anything why do you ask

McNum

Hilarious that on a day Apple (no headphone jack) and Sony (No UHD Blu-Ray) both screwed the pooch, NINTENDO comes out the winner.
Yet that is also so typical Nintendo. They like to surprise people. And no one would have guessed that today, after both Sony and Apple having had new product reveals, it'd be good ol' Mario who's running away with all the buzz.

And people thought Nintendo needed to make some NX announcement to keep up. Mario for iOS was plenty. Truly well played on their part today.

udivision

Yet that is also so typical Nintendo. They like to surprise people. And no one would have guessed that today, after both Sony and Apple having had new product reveals, it'd be good ol' Mario who's running away with all the buzz.

And people thought Nintendo needed to make some NX announcement to keep up. Mario for iOS was plenty. Truly well played on their part today.

"Mario for iOS" for the first time is a bigger deal than any hardware-with-limited-mainstream-appeal they could announce.

Nintendo's pretty smart with this. Release a basic Mario game to get people interested in the franchise. Want a more enriched Mario experience? Go buy a NX!

This strategy won't do much on its own. The majority of casual players on mobile will be satisfied with this game and any others like it on mobile and still won't see the point in paying $200++++ for another machine. Let's not forget there are thousands of Mario ripoffs on mobile already, and none of them require you to buy another device for a more "enriched" experience. The moment Nintendo asks the average casual to do that, they'll simply uninstall the game and go find an alternative Mario ripoff on the app store. That's what Nintendo's competing with now.

For the strategy to have a chance to work, they need to actually tie the mobile game into the NX games through ingame content. Stuff like unlockable items that can be transferred to the main game on NX. "Congrats for beating this level on Super Mario Run! You've been granted a new item. To use it, enter this code in Super Mario Galaxy 3 for Nintendo NX" That's just an example, and a poor one - I'm sure Nintendo can come up with better ideas.

I also think it's important to realize that casual gamers don't even necessarily want a more complex, in-depth experience. Most popular mobile games have been very simple, pick-up-and-play ones. This is what most people on the platform primarily want. The non-gamers in my family will happily pick up a NES controller to play Super Mario Bros 1, but they scoff at any newer Mario games with their "complicated controls" and confusing non-linear levels. They like simplicity. Nintendo could hit them with ad after ad for Super Mario NX while they play Super Mario Run, yet they still won't care.

random25

I wouldn't say "stole the show" but Nintendo just got a little bit of the advantage with their partnership of sorts with Apple. The Apple crowd already knows for the most part what they are getting so the show is just basically a confirmation of the rumors floating around the iPhone 7 specs *cough*headphonejack*cough*. Nintendo was basically the surprise of the show since nobody expected them to be on that stage revealing a new Mario game temporarily exclusive on iOS. And of course the extra media mileage they got from it since a lot of people, gamers and non-gamers, are tuned in to the conference.

CrisKre

This strategy won't do much on its own. The majority of casual players on mobile will be satisfied with this game and any others like it on mobile and still won't see the point in paying $200++++ for another machine. Let's not forget there are thousands of Mario ripoffs on mobile already, and none of them require you to buy another device for a more "enriched" experience. The moment Nintendo asks the average casual to do that, they'll simply uninstall the game and go find an alternative Mario ripoff on the app store. That's what Nintendo's competing with now.

For the strategy to have a chance to work, they need to actually tie the mobile game into the NX games through ingame content. Stuff like unlockable items that can be transferred to the main game on NX. "Congrats for beating this level on Super Mario Run! You've been granted a new item. To use it, enter this code in Super Mario Galaxy 3 for Nintendo NX" That's just an example, and a poor one - I'm sure Nintendo can come up with better ideas.

I also think it's important to realize that casual gamers don't even necessarily want a more complex, in-depth experience. Most popular mobile games have been very simple, pick-up-and-play ones. This is what most people on the platform primarily want. The non-gamers in my family will happily pick up a NES controller to play Super Mario Bros 1, but they scoff at any newer Mario games with their "complicated controls" and confusing non-linear levels. They like simplicity. Nintendo could hit them with ad after ad for Super Mario NX while they play Super Mario Run, yet they still won't care.

You are underestimating the power of the IP and the Nintendo polish and quality I think. Even if a fraction become enamored with this games it will be a huge win for Nintendo's dedicated space, plus this will make buttloads of money on its own accord.

Movile is a fantasic way for nintendo to keep in touch and relevant to the masses. And Pokemon Go shows three appeal of their products and IPs are equal to none, and that they can get insane exposure and momentum.

SOR5

I always thought Nintendo and Apple suited each other, maybe it was the fact they both pioneered that minimal glossy white look in the mid 00's

You are underestimating the power of the IP and the Nintendo polish and quality I think. Even if a fraction become enamored with this games it will be a huge win for Nintendo's dedicated space, plus this will make buttloads of money on its own accord.

Movile is a fantasic way for nintendo to keep in touch and relevant to the masses. And Pokemon Go shows three appeal of their products and IPs are equal to none, and that they can get insane exposure and momentum.

I'm not even arguing that it won't make them money. In fact, I think this will be a huge seller for them. I just don't think it will convince a significant amount of people to buy a NX.

If the fantastic high-quality games on Nintendo's dedicated hardware hasn't convinced them to buy Nintendo machines, why on earth would a low-budget mobile game.

I also think you're overestimating the power of their IP. Kids know and love Minecraft, far fewer know Mario now. Nintendo missed out on turning an entire generation of kids into fans because of their misreadings of the market. Furthermore, casuals don't care about "polish and quality." They played Flappy Bird by the millions. Does that game scream quality to you?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
"Stole the show"? Apple invited Nintendo to appear at their event. Apple is the one with the limited? exclusive Mario title. What a shitty article. Just trying to drum up some typical doom & gloom Apple drama to get clicks. This announcement is a win-win for both Nintendo and Apple.

This is a business article. It's in the "Money" section. It's targeted at stock traders. If you bought stock in Nintendo this morning, you made a shitload more off of your investment by the end of Apple's show than someone who bought stock in Apple. Ergo, Nintendo stole the show and, for this audience, was the massive winner of the event (in the immediate short term, which seems like all most investors and analysts seem to care about most of the time).

This is a business article. It's in the "Money" section. It's targeted at stock traders. If you bought stock in Nintendo this morning, you made a shitload more off of your investment by the end of Apple's show than someone who bought stock in Apple. Ergo, Nintendo stole the show and, for this audience, was the massive winner of the event (in the immediate short term, which seems like all most investors and analysts seem to care about most of the time).

If you're a day trader, you're probably not reading USA Today's Money section for your stock advice. Plus it's meaningless – the market already adjusted Apple's stock price before the event to what they expected from it due to the leaks. It's just the typical press tactic of going negative on anything Apple to get eyeballs on your story.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
A game being announced for a mobile plattform is rarely that big of an event - especially nowadays when everything is on mobile already. So Mario coming to iOS - this holiday season is a big deal. Lets be real.

Jumpman23

Now just imagine what it would mean to Nintendo stock if the NX could run iOS games. That would be unprecedented. Unlikely, but holy shit if it did happen.

MacTag

Banned
I'm not even arguing that it won't make them money. In fact, I think this will be a huge seller for them. I just don't think it will convince a significant amount of people to buy a NX.

If the fantastic high-quality games on Nintendo's dedicated hardware hasn't convinced them to buy Nintendo machines, why on earth would a low-budget mobile game.
Because it's already been proven out to some degree. We've seen sustained increases in 3DS hardware sales and Pokemon game sales in multiple regions since the Pokemon Go craze hit. The mobile release is literally driving renewed interest in dedicated hardware and software for Nintendo. You can argue the scale of it, but you can't really argue the very possibility anymore.

Deku89

What a waste of money. They should have spent their marketing dollars on sharing this at E3. ;)
Heh, I got that reference.

Between the Apple event, Olympics, and Pokemon Go, Nintendo is really trying to raise brand awareness. Let's see if it pays off.

A Mario iOS game was inevitable. They're not any more "all in with mobile" than they were already, and they've made clear that they still see dedicated gaming platforms as their primary business for now.

I get why investors want them to focus more on mobile, but I don't entirely get the logic behind this particular bump.

from what we have seen I dont even know if the title really is a full mario game.

JimiNutz

Banned
An endless runner featuring Mario seems completely safe and uninspired.
Nothing about the gameplay seemed unique or particularly interesting so im surprised it set the world on fire.

No doubt the novelty of playing a game featuring Mario on your iPhone will wear off pretty quickly?

I'm glad that Nintendo is embracing mobile gaming and wish them success but please show us something that stands out a little more next time.

Gigglepoo

My local newscast (Bay Area ABC) didn't even mention Super Mario Run. They also said the iPhone 8 would be out next year so...

An endless runner featuring Mario seems completely safe and uninspired.
Nothing about the gameplay seemed unique or particularly interesting so im surprised it set the world on fire.

No doubt the novelty of playing a game featuring Mario on your iPhone will wear off pretty quickly?

I'm glad that Nintendo is embracing mobile gaming and wish them success but please show us something that stands out a little more next time.

It's not even an endless runner, the levels end. These really do seem like Mario levels made for automatically going one direction.

Top Bottom