• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USAF Lt. General to racists/bigots at Air Force Academy: "Get out."

Mahonay

Banned
Does it? Honest question. Am military and never really noticed any anti-military personnel fervor.
GAF for the most part is definitely anti-war and anti-blind patriotism, but yeah I wouldn't say we give too much shit to military personnel themselves. Unless someone is being awful.

Does it? Honest question. Am military and never really noticed any anti-military personnel fervor.

Not really individual accusations but overall institutional labeling in the anti Trump fervor there is always a couple people who say Trump is going to have the military take over the country/attack other citizens. Which is of course ridiculous.

Yeah I totally see that (anti-war) stance but I didn't see where that translated to anti-service member is all. Unless I'm reading the original post wrong.

Anth0ny

“If you can’t treat someone with dignity and respect, then you need to get out. If you can’t treat someone from another gender, whether that’s a man or a woman, with dignity and respect, then you need to get out. If you demean someone in any way, then you need to get out. And if you can’t treat someone from another race, or a different color of skin, with dignity and respect, than you need to get out.”

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Most people in the military are actually anti-war, since they're the ones that have to fight a war and would rather it wouldn't be for stupid reasons. At least that's my experience as an Iraq and Afghanistan veteran.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Air Force has been considered the most right wing and racist of the US military branches, with the Navy being the best.

Good on this guy though.

Haven't heard about that, that sucks. I have family and friends in both the Air Force and navy and have only heard good things, mostly just hear that the army and especially marines are the most racist.

His racism claim does have some merit to it. There have been studies done that show that black airman are far more likely to face punishment than white airmen compared to the other branches.

Here's a link to the full study.

Anecdotally, my unit was notably racist and sexist. It was all male and probably ~90% white. We would have indoc and none of the women would pass. Even if some did they would find some way to wash them out. I heard my leadership talking before and they said women were too much of a problem. The majority of the people that passed were white male airmen. It was one of the reasons I decided to separate. It was a very toxic environment.

All that being said. I still enjoyed my time in the Air Force and that was a great speech. We need more leaders like him.

jet-fighter-pilot-animated-gif-4.gif

That was a good (but really sad) read. Thanks.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Most people in the military are actually anti-war, since they're the ones that have to fight a war and would rather it wouldn't be for stupid reasons. At least that's my experience as an Iraq and Afghanistan veteran.

I don't know if "anit-war" is the right term, but I agree that a lot of people have no desire to fight a war for stupid reasons. The prevailing thought from the people I was stationed with and a lot of folks that I deployed with was definitely that we shouldn't default to waging war if diplomacy is a viable option.

Haven't heard about that, that sucks. I have family and friends in both the Air Force and navy and have only heard good things, mostly just hear that the army and especially marines are the most racist.

Anecdotally, that was my experience while I was in.

His racism claim does have some merit to it. There have been studies done that show that black airman are far more likely to face punishment than white airmen compared to the other branches.

Here's a link to the full study.

Anecdotally, my unit was notably racist and sexist. It was all male and probably ~90% white. We would have indoc and none of the women would pass. Even if some did they would find some way to wash them out. I heard my leadership talking before and they said women were too much of a problem. The majority of the people that passed were white male airmen. It was one of the reasons I decided to separate. It was a very toxic environment.

All that being said. I still enjoyed my time in the Air Force and that was a great speech. We need more leaders like him.

jet-fighter-pilot-animated-gif-4.gif

Ah, I can see it from that perspective easily. I read his post like it was about how widely toxic it can be, but I'm in a field where it's pretty spread out as far as diversity goes so my perspective is entirely different from someone on the flight line or a fire dog.

Casual sexist and racist tones don't go over well most of the time here but some people still get away with it.

And though its usually laughed about but at work, if there is enough black people talking to each other, people start to stare like we are plotting something.

GAF for the most part is definitely anti-war and anti-blind patriotism, but yeah I wouldn't say we give too much shit to military personnel themselves. Unless someone is being awful.

This. While I feel that the main purpose of our military is to defend rather than attack, I have the utmost respect for any men and women who choose to go into the military and put on that uniform. My father fought in Vietnam and my Grandfather in WWII.

Game-Biz

Goddamn good speech.

And Trump isn't going to like it because he mentioned the the NFL haha. Also he won't like it because he believes that demeaning people serves some good purpose. Hope to see more military officials make statements like this.

Trump is a piece of shit. Fuck that guy. Where the fuck is progressive Ivank, 5 years from now she'll be like like I was doing amzing shit behind the scnes know know and stuff my husband was like was trying to do his best its not fair for me to bare the burden of my father's sins. Well, no fuck you, you should have spoken out like months ago. Tiffany this is your moment. You literally can have the majority of the US and the world rally behind you if you tell your dad to go fuck himself. Fuck that inheritance you'll make money off the book deals. Oh god ok I'll stop drinking.

linkboy

Naw fuck his bullshit con game. He didn't talk about punishment he just said get out. If that was somebody black doing something they would get punished not an option as usual. I hope blacks don't fall for this.

He wasn't talking to the public, he was addressing the Air Force members under his command. He's not going to address any types of punishment in a briefing like that, as there's a lot of legal aspects involved.

Here's the thing, if an officer receives an an LOR, that's pretty much the equivalent of an dishonorable discharge. Their career as a military member is done and it's damn near impossible to get a civilian job.

Getting a dishonorable discharge can really screw your life up, even a general discharge makes you ineligible for the GI Bill.

Getting out of the military the wrong way is a huge form of punishment.

And making racist statements is a damn good way to be headed towards a general discharge at best.

He wasn't talking to the public, he was addressing the Air Force members under his command. He's not going to address any types of punishment in a briefing like that, as there's a lot of legal aspects involved.

Here's the thing, if an officer receives an an LOR, that's pretty much the equivalent of an dishonorable discharge. Their career as a military member is done and it's damn near impossible to get a civilian job.

Getting a dishonorable discharge can really screw your life up, even a general discharge makes you ineligible for the GI Bill.

And making racist statements is a damn good way to be headed towards a general discharge at best.

Yup.

You want your DD-214 to say Honorable Discharge. Anything less makes your life significantly harder once in the civilian world.

Not only that, the military hands out general discharges like candy, so no GI Bill like you stated.

This x 100000 for officers. You could lose your security clearance that could have landed you some sweet civilian gig and have it haunt you on every background check.

llien

aaronsan

Banned
Welp.

I guess this is what happens when half the population is absolutely dogmatic about believing any accusation as a conviction.

What are you talking about? Did anyone discuss a conviction? Who could we convict without a suspect?

If you weren't so sensitive, you might understand all that's been said here as "if this was done in malice, fuck whoever did it."

Still, actually, I say that. This guy was a complete idiot. I'm pissed there are minorities who haven't learned better at this point than to give "half the population" more ammunition. The other half from the one you maligned.

Shooting himself in his foot. SMH

What a dumbass. Imagine how much strife this caused as they were looking for the perps.

This topic made me think of this from Military Times

It's not great, but look at officers vs enlisted. Now look at the different branches. Air Force is in general the most educated branch and Marines the least. So stupid people favor Trump. but we already knew that.

try2catchmike

Neo Member
What a dumbass. Imagine how much strife this caused as they were looking for the perps.

It's not great, but look at officers vs enlisted. Now look at the different branches. Air Force is in general the most educated branch and Marines the least. So stupid people favor Trump. but we already knew that.

Less education does not equate to being a stupid person.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Presidents come and go, General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand lives forever in your permanent record.

Hah, not true. There is local file or you can petition to have it removed after 3 years. Not that I have any direct experience with this.....

Despite how the story turned out, it is a good speech and pretty much what we have been teaching in the military for a decade or more. It is important to remember that most of the military has just 4-5 years of service, so they COME IN with their beliefs, the military does not create them. Unfortunately racism or sexism in the military is just reflective of the same in the civilian world.

rambis

Banned
Less education does not equate to being a stupid person.
Maybe true but you dont need to have a degree to know who's smarter on average between those two branches...

As much as Marines go on about their deployments and shit they still support Trump, a fucking rich draft dodger who shits on war heros. I can't.

Top Bottom