• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using VPN to access NFL Gamepass in North America (alternative to DTV's $300 stream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is changing my DNS settings going to affect anything, with like Netflix, Steam, Amazon, etc?

I used Unblock. Which is a VPN that specializes in Netflix region switching. I believe other (full blown) VPN's would switch the websites as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
I used Unblock. Which is a VPN that specializes in Netflix region switching. I believe other (full blown) VPN's would switch the websites as well.

I don't really know what that means.

I should probably stay away from this, shouldn't I? I fear I'm going to mess something up.

CobbFC09

I should probably stay away from this, shouldn't I? I fear I'm going to mess something up.
I don't know much about a VPN either, but I think you're able to turn it on and off so you could watch a game and then turn the VPN off and watch Netflix.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

What I meant is this:

Unblock- I can switch between US, UK, Sweden, etc regions and it would only change Netflix.com. It will leave amazon, steam, etc alone. Unblock still hides my connection.

VPN's- I believe when you change it (for example) to UK. You switch EVERYTHING. So when you load up amazon and it will be uk.amazon.com.

That wouldn't really matter since you are watching the game. Other devices (laptops, phones, tablets) would be connect and act "normal."

Gamepass is amazing and I wish it was used in the US. I used it when I was living in Germany for pretty much the whole season and it was amazing. The quality of the feeds and the inclusion of redzone made it insane. Such a good service.

NomarTyme

Damn I just want the nfl red zone. Fios want me to upgrade to their shitty more expensive package to get redzone.

So which vpn service do people use?

Pretty sure it's the same exact feed. NFL Gamepass has a feed on their website and they filter who can access it for free, who can access it through payment, and who has no access at all based on country you're accessing the website from. Try to connect in the US and you have no access to live games. Try to connect in the UK and you can sign up and pay for the package. Try to connect in the Netherlands and you have free access to the live streams.

This is correct. When I lived in germany it's the exact feed from that day (CBS, FOX, NBC, etc.) it's just broadcasting that so whatever language they speak in for that is what you get. So everything is in english.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn I just want the nfl red zone. Fios want me to upgrade to their shitty more expensive package to get redzone.

So which vpn service do people use?

I'm looking into strongvpn. They seem to be the cheapest. $7/monthly or $55/yearly options.

hlhbk

I'm afraid of you guys talking about it, because if it gets too widespread about using VPNs, then the NFL might shut it down :(

Keep this secret in the shadows!

Actually I hope they take notice. Maybe if they see the interest and lengths people are willing to go through to use gamepass they will realize that they need to bring the service to the USA.

hlhbk

Hold up. I preordered the $100 Madden just to get Sunday Ticket. Are you telling me the feed on it is terrible?

Should I cancel the order and try this? I'm not all familiar with vpn or how it works.

The feed for DTV is terrible.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
NFL Gamepass is free in the Netherlands, so if your VPN is in the Netherlands you don't have to pay a thing to get full access.

Tell me how this works? I am connected to my Netherlands VPN and it says that the season cost 99.99? The only thing free is the free trail for 7 days.

Damaniel

Banned
Can anyone else confirm this?

I just connected via my VPN (AirVPN via their servers in Amsterdam) and the games are free. The page actually says 'NFL Gamepass is being offered for free in your territory.' Looks like it still works, at least for me.

EDIT: I'm curious why the service is free in the Netherlands to begin with, when they charge throughout the rest of Europe (not to mention the cost of services like Sunday Ticket in the US).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I just connected via my VPN (AirVPN via their servers in Amsterdam) and the games are free. The page actually says 'NFL Gamepass is being offered for free in your territory.' Looks like it still works, at least for me.

Xmas is saved.

I'm certainly intrigued by this. Especially considering the improved image quality.

I currently have Madden pre-ordered through Amazon, but that could change now. I've never used a VPN before though, and hope it's not too difficult as I'm not that proficient at fucking around with such things.

Tell me how this works? I am connected to my Netherlands VPN and it says that the season cost 99.99? The only thing free is the free trail for 7 days.

EDIT: I'm curious why the service is free in the Netherlands to begin with, when they charge throughout the rest of Europe (not to mention the cost of services like Sunday Ticket in the US).

I'm confused? So false alarm I guess?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Should I go ahead and go through the purchase process and you are saying it won't charge me anything? Or you mean that it just says these are free in your territory? I will try and grab a screen shot tomorrow.

I'm confused? So false alarm I guess?

I connected to the Netherlands via BTGuard and then went to the website. Currently my Netherlands VPN won't connect. I will try it again tomorrow and see.

werks

Banned
Used airvpn and it worked, disconnected the vpn after streaming started & quality improved. Will try to pick up a chromecast and see if it works.

CobbFC09

Used airvpn and it worked, disconnected the vpn after streaming started & quality improved. Will try to pick up a chromecast and see if it works.
Good to see it's working. Now I just need to decide which VPN to get. AirVPN seems nice, just a bit more expensive than the ones I've checked out.

hlhbk

If anyone could test and let us know if Chromecast works with this I would be thankful. I am holding off buying one until I know it works.

Calm Killer

Okay, disregard my problems. Figured out even though I am connecting to a netherlands VPN I am getting a UK IP. Need to look at another VPN solution for this.

werks

Banned
Good to see it's working. Now I just need to decide which VPN to get. AirVPN seems nice, just a bit more expensive than the ones I've checked out.

Freevpn.nl works, it just starts slow as shit... but its free. Disconnect once it starts playing.

Chili

If you are doing this you want to make sure that you are not using a UK VPN. There are blackouts on Gamepass in the UK for the Sunday afternoon games which are shown on TV.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
yeah, I'm really interested in this. I do the same thing

I cam back to read this thread in the hopes of getting an answer and ended up more confused. Will stick with standard streaming for free. I can get Redzone at decent quality too, and almost every game without extra software.

krpiper

So I am going to school this fall, and have to contend with jumping through hoops with schools wifi and such.

If I use a VPN will that mess things up and such with the schools network? I don't want them to get suspicious or throw up any red flags or anything

BigDug13

So I am going to school this fall, and have to contend with jumping through hoops with schools wifi and such.

If I use a VPN will that mess things up and such with the schools network? I don't want them to get suspicious or throw up any red flags or anything

Is your computer going to be a client on their windows network or is it simply a passworded wifi access?

I found this site
https://www.kepard.com

Supposedly has netherlands servers. With a free account you can use them at their full speed but only for 30 minutes...which is more than enough time to connect then disconnect once you're watching.

I'm going to try it to see if it actually works

EDIT" Okay it seemed to have worked, but I still have to subscribe? It says it's free, but it still wants my billing info...which i feel like would put up a red flag.

Freevpn.nl works, it just starts slow as shit... but its free. Disconnect once it starts playing.

How did you get that to work?

It keeps asking for a password I dont have...there's no password on the site either.

JdFoX187

Banned
Awesome! Got that to work. Brilliant shit. Can't wait for the regular season now. I can actually watch Carolina Panthers games for a change.

hlhbk

Has anyone been able to test Chromecast yet to see if it will work? You should be able to test the archived games. It sure would beat having to move my gaming desktop out to the living room every Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom