• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uwe Boll to make BloodRayne 2, anger more gamers

Angelcurio

Uwe Boll to make BloodRayne 2, anger more gamers

Someone, for the love of every video game ever made into a movie, PLEASE stop Uwe Boll. We mean physically stop the guy. Find out where he's shooting, go out there, and take the camera away from him. Be sure to destroy any writing utensils or anything he might use to draw with as well.

Why? Because he's recently announced that he's making BloodRayne 2. That's right, a sequel to what people have been calling one of the worst films of the past few years. Don't forget, Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith came out in the last few years and so did Aeon Flux, Elektra, Son of the Mask, and The Pacifier.

The movie, like the first one, will no doubt have nothing to do with the game, but will have everything to do with sucking. That's despite the presence of Kristanna Loken, who really needs to take Uwe's number out of her cell phone.

Link: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/04/uwe-boll-to-make-bloodrayne-2-anger-more-gamers/

Seriously, who the hell funds his movies?

Not a Jellyfish said:
i would buy that for a dollar. :D
buyfordollarlo2.jpg

Raw64life

Angelcurio said:
Seriously, who the hell funds his movies?

I mean honestly...

Release Date: January 6, 2006
Production Budget: $25 million

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $2,405,420 67.0%
+ Foreign: $1,186,560 33.0%
= Worldwide: $3,591,980

A complete flop at the box office and universally slammed by critics. Who is allowing this?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
SnakeXs said:
The German Government, no?

I thought they got rid of the loop hole that made it profitable to loose money on movie productions?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I've heard more about Uwe Boll from people bitching about him than from pretty much directly him or his media.

White Man

mre said:
I thought they got rid of the loop hole that made it profitable to loose money on movie productions?

It wasn't a loophole. The law was being used as intended.

Also, Bloodrayne was awesome. Anyone that doesn't derive entertainment from Uwe's movies don't know how to properly enjoy good bad movies. All 3 of his game movies have been dingers of hilarity.

If only Michael Madsen and Ghandi could be in this one, too. Never before had I seen a movie where one of the stars was consistently visibly drunk on camera.

Chris_C

Raw64life said:
I mean honestly...

A complete flop at the box office and universally slammed by critics. Who is allowing this?

Special tax loops ensure that his films are profitable.

White Man said:
It wasn't a loophole. The law was being used as intended.

Also, Bloodrayne was awesome. Anyone that doesn't derive entertainment from Uwe's movies don't know how to properly enjoy good bad movies. All 3 of his game movies have been dingers of hilarity.

If only Michael Madsen and Ghandi could be in this one, too. Never before had I seen a movie where one of the stars was consistently visibly drunk on camera.
i appreciate bad movies... i mean, i've seen more than one David Decoteaux movie (and he makes Uwe Boll look like an auteur) but there was no enjoyment in Alone in the Dark. it's boring. from the start to the end. just ditch water dull.

i'm still amazed that he somehow managed to have me sat there thinking things like 'god, when will this gun fight end?'.

it's retrospectively funny to think about how long that opening narration went on for, or that he used a song about racism to add mood to a scene of two white people dry humping, but while watching the film it was nothing but painfully dull.

haven't seen bloodrayne though... and i've heard that is a lot easier to derive enjoyment from.

Chris_C

mre said:

They did, but there are other countries where it's still in effect.

White Man

plagiarize said:
i appreciate bad movies... i mean, i've seen more than one David Decoteaux movie (and he makes Uwe Boll look like an auteur) but there was no enjoyment in Alone in the Dark. it's boring. from the start to the end. just ditch water dull.

Actually, Alone in the Dark is my least favorite of the three, heh.

About the "tax loop hole"

In the DVD commentary of Alone in the Dark, Boll explains how he funds his films:

"Maybe you know it but it's not so easy to finance movies in total. And the reason I am able to do these kind of movies is I have a tax shelter fund in Germany, and if you invest in a movie in Germany you get basically fifty percent back from the Government."
Boll is able to acquire funding thanks to German tax laws that reward investments in film. The law allows investors in German-owned films to write off 100% of their investment as a tax deduction; it also allows them to invest borrowed money and write off any fees associated with the loan. The investor is then only required to pay taxes on the profits made by the movie; if the movie loses money, the investor gets a tax writeoff.

While Boll has received a lot of negative publicity regarding this funding method, he was actually one of the few directors to use the tax shelter as intended. His films were financed, produced, and directed by a German company, which was the initial intention behind the tax shelter: to provide incentive for investment in German entertainment properties. Regardless of the law's intention, most of these German film funds ended up funneling money to American studios to finance American blockbusters. The law merely required that the movie's copyright be owned by a German company; thus studios would "sell" a movie's rights to a German company, then immediately lease the movie back for a small fee, while the German owners would agree to very limited control. Essentially, the German company would own the movie on paper, but have no say over its production.[4] Because of this, in January 2006, as had been expected for several months, the German legislature changed the country's tax laws to eliminate the tax shelter.[5] It is not known if this will have any effect on Boll's funding as the new laws only seek to punish investors who are abusing the law for tax purposes; Boll's activities appear to be well within the legitimate usage of the tax shelter.

Not a loop hole. He was using the law as it was intended.

I for one actually enjoyed House of the Dead. I didn't expect anything out of it, and I thought it was worth watching (nothing great, mind you, but far from terrible).

Now terrible... that's an accurate word for Alone in the Dark and Bloodrayne. I didn't get any of the "so bad it's entertaining" shit out of those two. They were just plain horrible. Among the worst movies I've ever seen.

And that original quote in the first post mentions "And these past few years saw Star Wars Episode III, etc." WTF? If you think Episode III was one of the worst movies of the past few years... you have to be crazy. I personally thought it was pretty good, but I can usually tell when people are going to think a movie was really bad (even if I enjoyed it). ROTS was far from being really bad. Far far from it.

i condemn the first poster to watch 'Voodoo Academy' from David Decoteaux. hollywood makes some bad stuff, but they don't come near the sort of shit that b movies put out.

well not normally.

i'm talking about The Covenant.

i'd be surprised if even someone like Uwe Boll made a film that bad.

White Man

plagiarize said:
i condemn the first poster to watch 'Voodoo Academy' from David Decoteaux. hollywood makes some bad stuff, but they don't come near the sort of shit that b movies put out.

well not normally.

I wish DVD stores carried more awful b movies. I hate ordering things online.

Angelcurio

plagiarize said:

well not normally.

I will follow your advice and commit suicide by watching that film. Now let me find some place where i can rent it.

Let´s see how bad that movie can be :)

Angelcurio said:
I will follow your advice and commit suicide by watching that film. Now let me find some place where i can rent it.

Let´s see how bad that movie can be :)
hah! if you're seriously up for it, your local blockbuster *might* have it. make sure you get the uncut DVD version though for the full painful impact.

if they don't have it, rent say, the brotherhood 2 from the same director. they normally have a bunch of the brotherhood movies.

Why do people hate on this guy so much? It's not like he's taking AAA-quality titles and shitting all over them. Who gives a shit about BloodRayne or Postal? BloodRayne (the movie) was awesome. Let him make more, I say.

relyt9

Prince of Space said:
Why do people hate on this guy so much? It's not like he's taking AAA-quality titles and shitting all over them. Who gives a shit about BloodRayne or Postal? BloodRayne (the movie) was awesome. Let him make more, I say.

If there is any sanity left in this world then I pray you're being sarcastic.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I liked Elektra...

And yet I can't stand Boll's films. Still rented all of them at least twice just to watch with with a couple of friends and have a laugh.

He's probably just making this because he couldn't get the Fear Effect license from Eidos. Atleast some companies are smart enough not to let this dude near their series.

Pimpbaa

Prince of Space said:

I liked Bloodrayne too! Mind you I was a bit drunk at the time and had a thing for Kristanna Loken (you can come terminate me anyday T-X).

Maridia

Completely OT, and I apologize, but if you're looking for bad movies, there's none worse than Satan's Storybook. It's not even on IMDB, but it can be found on Google easily enough. A must-see for all conniseurs of shitty cinema, you'll never look at terrible movies the same way again.

EDIT: WTF, it is on IMDb. Damn their search engine.

EDIT 2:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098254/maindetails

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SolidSnakex said:
He's probably just making this because he couldn't get the Fear Effect license from Eidos. Atleast some companies are smart enough not to let this dude near their series.

Smart? With budgets that big I would take a free million bucks to let a guy a shitty movie that no one knows about that's based on my game.

briefcasemanx said:
Smart? With budgets that big I would take a free million bucks to let a guy a shitty movie that no one knows about that's based on my game.

What are the chances he's paying alot for these licenses? There's a reason why he's only able to land smaller titles.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Whatever. If Loken shows her ta-tas again I'll download the clip and have gotten what I need from it. Keep it up you crazy German, you!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Maybe this will give me a chance to interview Loken again, at least. I'm totally renting Bloodrayne this weekend. :lol

Top Bottom