• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"V, not 5" or: Sequel Numbering is Weird.

Am I the only one who is primarily bothered by FF13-3 being 'Lightning Returns: FFXIII' because it will mess up their alphabetically-sorted trophy list?

raven777

here is your 5 instead of V :p
armored_core_5_logo1.png

But yea I think V and X are special cases because its really nice to make a logo with it.

Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (better than Super Mario Advance 3: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island I suppose)
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

As above, stuff like that is what bothers me. They did a similar thing with the Rogue Leader games.

S2l9C3L.png

V or FIVE? I'm confused.

GTA V: Five, or they have to make sure the targeted audience knows it isn't GTA Vee

masterkajo

Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

Ha, I find that hilarious. It's like on purpose to mess with everyone's head. Respect.

Ty4on

The Need for Speed
The Need for Speed: SE
Need for Speed II
Need for Speed II: SE
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed: High Stakes (4)
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (5)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (6)

Fixed it for ya. The rest of the games aren't NFS, when HP2 is hardly NFS in the first place.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Counting "main" titles only:

Guitar Hero
Guitar Hero II
Guitar Hero III: Warriors of Rock
Guitar Hero World Tour
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Meier

Don't bother being obsessive about stuff like this. Or anything. Your life will be better off. 5 and V are interchangeable. XIII and 13 are interchangeable. There is no difference between the two.

UrbanRats

Armored Core 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. What do these games have in common? They both have sequels that use a Roman numeral V. Does this drive anyone else crazy? I'm kind of obsessive about getting sequel numbers right, like Dead Space 3 and Dark Souls II, so it's kinda bizarre and off-putting to me when a series changes the way its entries are numbered.

Share anything else you find explicable in iterative game naming.

5 is a dumb looking number, "V" looks much better, however 4 looks better than IV.
This is the extent i'm willing to go. :p

'V'. The 'FIVE' is just there for the less than intelligent target market who don't understand simple Roman numerals.

278-1899-5-NOTSLABBED70-alexperakis-610x284.jpg

It's mimicking the dollar bill.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is it true that people can't do Roman Numerals?

Like I heard people do 2012 "II 0 I II" rather than MMXII

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Something like the NFS or Guitar Hero names could seriously stop me from trying a title from a series Id never played because I would want to play a main entry and might mistake some of those as spin offs. Never really thought about that.

278-1899-5-NOTSLABBED70-alexperakis-610x284.jpg

It's mimicking the dollar bill.
When I worked at Gamestop AT LEAST half the customers asking for GTA IV would say "Grand Theft Auto Eye Vee", so while it's probably also mimicking the bill I think it's more to do with the intelligence of the mainstream audience.

Zee-Row

Banned
Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid V

popyea

When I worked at Gamestop AT LEAST half the customers asking for GTA IV would say "Grand Theft Auto Eye Vee", so while it's probably also mimicking the bill I think it's more to do with the intelligence of the mainstream audience.

What they meant was they wanted it straight into their veins.

Top Bottom