• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Elysium Reviews Thread (PS4/PS5) - PC Version in November

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Currently sitting at 68 on OC and 68 on MC with 5 reviews

Hobby Consolas 72 / 100
Push Square 6 / 10
RPG Site 7 / 10
GameSpew 7 / 10.0
Saudi Gamer 7 / 10

666zUCT.png

Whose still picking this up day 1 ?

My rental should be arriving tomorrow. Glad I didn't put down full price for it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played the demo liked what I played so getting the game day one, I’m not all expecting the game getting good reviews from most media because of its mission like structure.

I played huge JRPG like Xenoblade 3 and like to play more small and compact game like this and good chance finishing it before Mario + Rabbit 2 and Bayonetta 3 comes out.

Last edited:

Fbh

Based on the demo was expecting somewhere between high 60 and low 70.
The combat was ok and the music was great. Everything else was like a mid budget ps3 era game.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Never was planning to pick up on day one. Demo was better than expected and it's a "might pick up later on when cheap" title.

anthony2690

Banned
I have a feeling that's gonna get reviewed even lower.
Potentially, apparently performance is absolutely abysmal if you're not a vrr display.

Not tried the demo, but I am hoping I'll enjoy the game, they tend to have fun combat/gameplay but nonsensical story.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Went to pick up my pre-order at GameStop earlier today and haven't received the game at all yet and checking online, most of their stores haven't gotten the game so I decided to go digital. On chapter 2. Really enjoying the game thus far. Combat is excellent and will get even better as I unlock more stuff. The worse aspect thus far is the limited carrying capacity which honestly, is getting fucking annoying. I have to keep using an elixir just so I can get the one from the treasure chests that are located throughout the world. I don't know what they were thinking with this. Should be at least 99. I mean come on. UGH.

rubhen925

It's hard to explain this game. Has great animations and combat potential but you end up doing thr same combos over and over again. It becomes button mashy real quick because the launchers for aerial combat suck ass. The enemies and combat encounters also become somewhat repetitive.

The game is also empty and yet too long even though it's only 18 to 19 hours long. The levels are just linear sections where you fight enemies loot stuff look for collectibles and move on.

Valkyrie is also a very boring character. Story is a bit slow as well. Idk I'm in thr middle on this one.

Esca

I really liked the demo and it good me some good old school feels.
I pre-ordered on psn. What sucks is the game was around 80% downloaded when the internet and power went out last night sure to the hurricane. Estimate time for the internet to be back up is 3 days. Hoping my parents that around 10-15 mins away get theirs back sooner so I can get the game unlocked to go back home lol

Louay

will this be a flop too like diofield ? we would find out in coming day, SE seems throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks with these small games or lower budget games. one game did stick to the wall Octopath traveler

Nautilus

Banned
I really liked the demo, so I didn't expect these scores.

But I'll still be picking this up once I diminish some of my backlog

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's hard to explain this game. Has great animations and combat potential but you end up doing thr same combos over and over again. It becomes button mashy real quick because the launchers for aerial combat suck ass. The enemies and combat encounters also become somewhat repetitive.

The game is also empty and yet too long even though it's only 18 to 19 hours long. The levels are just linear sections where you fight enemies loot stuff look for collectibles and move on.

Valkyrie is also a very boring character. Story is a bit slow as well. Idk I'm in thr middle on this one.

Thanks, that sounds absolutely dreadful. Will avoid!

F31 Leopard

I already have 14 hrs playtime in the demo. Hopefully they still have in stock at my local BestBuy. Only 2 left. I'll swing by after work.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
will this be a flop too like diofield ? we would find out in coming day, SE seems throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks with these small games or lower budget games. one game did stick to the wall Octopath traveler

The fact that this is a new game in an established franchise, and not a new ip, makes me think it will sell decently.

It also looks like it was made on a very small budget so even in moderate number of sales, it will probably be a success.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Did Diofield flop? It was in the top 20 for UK boxed sales. That seems respectable for a low budget SRPG.

I’m on the final chapter and it has exceeded my expectations.

AmuroChan

Too many JRPGs to play this fall. I'm playing Trails from Zero right now. Star Ocean and Tactics Ogre are next after that. Don't know when I'm going to get to Valkyrie Elysium and DioField Chronicle.

nocsi

This is really like some Action RPG that Square-Enix was developing and smothered with Valkyrie lore in the last year of development. Between the constant enemy model reuse and low-budget oddities, its not a great Valkyrie game. It's still a very fun game and I recommend it - it's just pretty blatant they took some base game and slapped Valkyrie all over it. The story is good though and that'd be your driving force for playing the game to completion. Square-Enix scenario writers having been hitting it out of the park lately.

Danjin44

I liking the game so far and I'm not really expecting and want open world with towns from this game. after putting over 200 + hours in Xenoblade 3, I want smaller and more compact game and this game perfect for that.

The structure is very similar to Drakengard 3 which I kind of dig.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My copy arrives tomorrow. I’m not feeling like I want to read their reviews. The number 7 is typically average right? Might as well say this will be enjoyed by other people and not the person reviewing it. On one hand you have players who played games with a similar play style years ago and then you have the other who want it to be a 9er before they touch it.

night13x

Eh 70% is where I expected it to be and what it deserves based on the mid budget and effort put into this game. Don't get me wrong - I bought it, and I am enjoy it for what it is, but at best its a fun, mindless, action game that has very little impact on the Valkyrie series as a whole. Most likely this game was developed and released just to help drum up some attention to the series if it was to continue proper. Hopefully once Tri-ace frees up some time, we can get a proper follow up to profile 1/2.

Krathoon

Oh gee, the reviewers are saying it is mediocre.
Poop poop poop. 💩 They probably didn't even play through the whole thing.

Draugoth

Gold Member
AzhzqUuvZb22RXUSCG5uhhxh.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Valkyrie Elysium
Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 29, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 29, 2022)
  • PC (Nov 11, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 29, 2022)
Trailer:
Developer: Soleil Ltd.
Publisher: Square Enix
Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 70 average - 25% recommended - 8 reviews

yaDz6lr.jpg

Metacritic - 66 average - 6 reviews

1G2Tkyk.jpg

Critic Reviews​

Chicas Gamers - Álvaro Bustío - Spanish - Unscored
Valkyrie Elysium presents a turning point in its saga and shows how it can adapt without losing much of its essence. It has little to do with the adventures lived in his day by the Valkyries Lenneth, Hrist and Silmeria. However, it is a very fun game, which hooks you from minute one and encourages you to play to discover more about its plot and its characters.
GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 7 / 10
Essentially a character action game, Valkyrie Elysium does little to worry the heavy hitters in the genre such as Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. But while many of its components are simply adequate, its frenetic combat elevates it from mediocrity. There’s great fun to be had here, summoning Einherjar, using your Soul Chain to zip around the battlefield and making use of more advanced skills to decimate your opponents. Ultimately, it’s not going to set anyone’s world on fire, but it’s definitely worth spending some time with.
Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 72 / 100
It is a pity that there are so many wasted elements, because Valkyrie Elysium has the necessary tools to reach Valhalla... But it stays halfway. Even so, if you like action RPGs and Norse mythology, you will enjoy it with its spectacular combats.
Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 6 / 10
Valkyrie Elysium is a game of two halves. The level design and objectives feel at least two generations old and the characters and storyline are more like placeholders than the finished article. There's no capital F feelings here or much in the way of narrative justification, but if you're okay with that and you just want fifteen to twenty hours of fast, frantic, fluid combat then we can just about recommend this one.
RPG Site - Josh Torres - 7 / 10
While the combat to this Valkyrie Profile action RPG spin-off is top notch, the rest of the game ranges from mediocre to merely serviceable.
Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10
Valkyrie Elysium provided one of the most engaging combat systems this year, with the satisfying combos and amazing boss battles that action RPG fans should never miss, even if its short on the RPG side. The game could have been outstanding if took a bit more time in the oven with a little bit more budget, in the end it's a good game that is worth giving a shot if you are looking for a combat oriented game with no expectations from the story
The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 6 / 10
Valkyrie Elysium is a decent action RPG that’s rather short in length, but it’s combo-based combat grows stale hours before the credits roll. The game nails the melancholic, Norse-inspired atmosphere of the series, although the story, characters and side-quests that appear in these lands are anything but legendary. So if you don’t enjoy the combat, then there’s little else to latch onto.
Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 7.5 / 10
With all that said, Valkyrie Elysium is rather fun. Divorced from its heritage, it's a solid, if unexceptional, action-RPG. The combat system could use more polish, but what it does, it does quite well, and I enjoyed the combat until the end of the game. I'd love the team to have a chance to revisit the gameplay with some more confidence under its belt, as it's easy to see how it could go from good to great. This isn't the Valkyrie Profile 3 I was hoping for, but Elysium should satisfy someone looking for a solid action-RPG.

FeralEcho

I actually really enjoyed the demo...Really surprised to see these scores and I'm more surprised at the lack of any marketing for this.Even reviews,like where's IGN,Gamespot etc. What the hell is SE doing...?

Danjin44

I actually really enjoyed the demo...Really surprised to see these scores and I'm more surprised at the lack of any marketing for this.Even reviews,like where's IGN,Gamespot etc. What the hell is SE doing...?
if you read/watch reviews most of them do like the combat but they generally not fan of its mission structure and lack of towns to explore. Also this AA niche game, you are not gonna see SE spend resource marketing this game.

I personally enjoying full game and On hard it has entertaining boss fights.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I see ads for the game all over NeoGAF right now.

Speaking of which, the ads on this site just went completely off the wall. They're plastered everywhere, every couple posts.
Maybe it's because I'm on mobile but I only get ads at the bottom of the threads and I haven't seen that Valkyrie ad yet on my end but it's good to see SE at least is not sending this game to die completely without any marketing.Especially with these scores,it'll be rough.

Anyway I'll be getting the game,I really enjoyed the combat and just the look of the game in the demo so I'll get it just not at full price.

Top Bottom