• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Profile 2 HD Remaster ever happening?

Athreous

I didn't have a ps2 back in it's era, I bought a game cube instead... so I just played VP2 with PCSX2 =/

The game looks great in 1080p 60 fps...

I tried the ps2 version with my lcd tv, but the graphics are really blurry... and I don't have an old tv to hook a ps2 on it...

With the great success that FFX/X-2 and Kingdom Hearts remasters, do you think that SE will release an HD versin of VP2?

For me, it's one of the best looking games on PS2, so I really hope that we can see this in HD in the future...

Deft Beck

I think almost everyone, S-E included, forgot about the game.

So, I wouldn't imagine a remaster of II happening before a remaster of the first game.

Corpekata

Banned
Doesn't seem likely. Game wasn't hugely popular, and they don't appear to be doing anything with the franchise itself really. Load more games I'd expect before that.

kurahador

Someday I guess. Valkyrie Profile gameplay seems to be risen in popularity nowadays.
Hopefully they'll take notice of that.

Ridley327

I imagine that the closest thing that could happen is if it gets added to PS2 BC on the PS4, and I don't believe it was added to the list on the PS3, which doesn't bode well for Squenix's perception of the series these days.

I really disliked a lot of the changes made to the combat in VP2. Moving around the battlefield and the restrictive requirements to get enemies to drop certain items just wasn't as fun. I also disliked how characters were randomized. It's a remarkably handsome game, though.

Shahed

Hopefully not. Awful game

Edit: Damn I read that as Valkyria Chronicles 2 for some reason. I'd love a Valkyrie Profile 2 Remaster! Amazing game

It looks amazing in PCSX2. Right up there with FFXII. But Square seems to have forgotten about the franchise. (Is it true that VP3 concepts got shoehorned into Lightning Returns?)

Lime

Square Enix doesn't even bother to put up either VP1 or VP2 on PSN, so I don't see it.

It looks amazing in PCSX2. Right up there with FFXII. But Square seems to have forgotten about the franchise. (Is it true that VP3 concepts got shoehorned into Lightning Returns?)

No, it was just a duckroll troll thread.

VP3: Hrist is more evident in the upcoming Exist Archive game where the co-protagonist has the same design as Hrist (purple color, bangs, beauty mole):

Hrist in VP1:
image00ski.jpg

secondary character in Exist Archive:
imagevishk.jpg

Lime

Square-Enix seems to be done with the VP IP. :(

IF it's any consolation, tri-ace did acknowledge it in the Star Ocean 5 pre-order bonuses:

For VP fans:

PS4/PS3 Exclusive Star Ocean 5’s First Print Bonus Is the Battle Music from Valkyrie Profile

Looks like tri-Ace is pulling the strings of nostalgia with the first print bonus for the Japanese release of Star Ocean 5.

Those that will get the first print of the game, releasing on February 25th, will also get a download code for a Valkyrie Profile music track, with the option of setting it to replace the battle music.

Retailer-specific Pre-order bonuses have also been announced in the form of different in-game accessories for some retailers (including a “Valkyrie Ring” at Amazon Japan, bearing a definitely familiar logo), while others will get out-of-game items like calendars, PC wallpapers and posters.

from dvalshockers

Kyoufu

IF it's any consolation, tri-ace did acknowledge it in the Star Ocean 5 pre-order bonuses:

For VP fans:

from dvalshockers

They do this with all of their games. What gets me though is they basically made a new IP that resembles VP. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally pitched Exist Archive as a new VP title to Square-Enix and were rejected.

Speculation aside, it would be nice if they at least let us play VP2 over PSN if they refuse to do anything major with it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Maybe on the PS2 emulation for PS4...i mean higher res is really all that game needed if you look at the emulator screenshot thread

Lime

They do this with all of their games. What gets me though is they basically made a new IP that resembles VP. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally pitched Exist Archive as a new VP title to Square-Enix and were rejected.

Speculation aside, it would be nice if they at least let us play VP2 over PSN if they refuse to do anything major with it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Apparently SE approved of Star Ocean 5, but I assume not necessarily Valkyrie Profile. Who knows, maybe something will happen later on, but I could imagine Exist Archive will take over if it is successful enough. I just vastly prefer the world and character art in VP than what we've seen of Exist Archive.

Ridley327

They haven't even re-released the 1st game for purchase on PSN, at least not in NA anyway.

It's so strange that it's an issue at all. You can't even use the "trying to sell the PSP version" ploy as an excuse, since they're perfectly alright with selling two different versions of FFT and the PSP port isn't even available on the Playstation Store.

Lime

They haven't even re-released the 1st game for purchase on PSN, at least not in NA anyway.

It's so strange that it's an issue at all. You can't even use the "trying to sell the PSP version" ploy as an excuse, since they're perfectly alright with selling two different versions of FFT and the PSP port isn't even available on the Playstation Store.

I assume it's a licensing thing.

They re-released Star Ocean 2 though for both PS4 and Vita in Japan, so maybe there's still hope.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I really disliked a lot of the changes made to the combat in VP2. Moving around the battlefield and the restrictive requirements to get enemies to drop certain items just wasn't as fun. I also disliked how characters were randomized. It's a remarkably handsome game, though.

I still really liked VP2 but yeah, some of the changes made to the battle system weren't to my liking. Targeting enemy parts to get dropped items for crafting... not fun. Made battling and grinding a bit more time consuming. Not to mention I don't like how the einherijar were mostly randomized and didn't have poignant storylines like in the first. The first is still one of my top RPGs ever and I still really liked the second.

I liked the battle system in VP2 more than the first one. I think it might be my favorite one pretty closely followed by Covenant of the Plume. I thought they were both better than the original. I would love a remaster or better yet a new game. A shame they keep making Star Ocean as I don't really like that one. I only played the first one and a little of the second though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is making me nostalgic for the first game. Never played the second. I have the SRPG game on DS but it quickly lost me after one of the first missions.

Manu

My favorite JRPG ever.

They don't even have to remaster it, game looks great as it is:

attachment.php

I know, emulated screen and all, but is still holds up.

Probably never. SE doesn't seem to want to put up any Enix back-catalog games and IPs up on PSN or anything for rerelease for some reason except Dragon Quest, and I'd say that says enough that we won't see a future for the VP IP since they're preventing newcomers from accessing its past.

Hopefully not. Awful game

Edit: Damn I read that as Valkyria Chronicles 2 for some reason. I'd love a Valkyrie Profile 2 Remaster! Amazing game

Man, if there's anything that annoys me on GAF, it's people typing in "Valkyria Profile" and "Valkyrie Chronicles" shitting up search results.

Paltheos

I don't think so. We didn't even get VP1 on PSN when it had already been ported to the PSP. Then again I don't really know what the hold up is. It seems like the whole tri-ace catalog - at least the stuff connected to Squeenix (I believe RoF is on PSN) - was held back from digital release.

SO2 got that Vita port though and obviously SO5 is on the horizon though, so I wanna say this isn't just bad blood (anymore).

entremet

Not accounting for taste clearly (says the guy with the Lenneth avatar).

I own both. Can't play either lol.

My PSP was stolen--there's no PSN version.

And my BC PS3 died years ago :(

Here's hoping for disc based PS2 BC for the PS4. I did beat Lenneth, although got the bad ending. Talk about esoteric requirements for the good one.

Paltheos

I own both. Can't play either lol.

My PSP was stolen--there's no PSN version.

And my BC PS3 died years ago :(

Here's hoping for disc based PS2 BC for the PS4. I did beat Lenneth, although got the bad ending. Talk about esoteric requirements for the good one.

Aw man, that sucks. :( Condolences.

The esoteric requirements for the good ending are one of my few sticking points with VP. It's a game best enjoyed with a walkthrough of some sort (Captain K's does this excellently by the way - He quickly runs down the general stuff not to do and brief end of chapter to-dos. You can otherwise play freely)

Lime

SO2 got that Vita port though and obviously SO5 is on the horizon though, so I wanna say this isn't just bad blood (anymore).

If we want to live in dreamy wishy-wishy land, one might argue that SO2 being ported to PS4 and Vita is because of the SO5 release, which means that if VP3 was to be approved by Square Enix, we would see the same for VP: Lenneth for PS4 and Vita.

I picked up this game back in 2008 or 2009, and it was one of the last games that I bought that I had no idea what the hell it was and just picked it due to the box art.
Turns out it was pretty damn awesome, although I hit a spot where the difficulty seemed to spike a hell of a lot and I stopped playing it. It was some sort of water area with a mine or a cave or something if I remember correctly.

I tried to pick up from where I left off a few months back but I had no idea what I was doing, so I guess I'd have to start over. I don't feel like I was that far in, although I had been playing for quite a few hours.

I'd like to see a remaster though, because it was one of the best looking PS2 games easily.

Lime

I thought VP had weird licensing issues that stopped re-releases? I never did play the DS game, was it that bad?

Unless you got a source for that, this is merely speculation or conjecture on our part.

Covenant of the Plume had interesting characters and a pretty dark plot, but the gameplay wasn't that well executed

Shin-chan

Best I hope for is SE to acknowledge their total lack of digital support for their library and offer us PS2 and PSP games in Vita. Then we can play Lenneth and Silmaria. I've never played the series and would really like them available digitally.

Top Bottom