• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ValueAct is securing 1.1$ billion worth of stakes at Nintendo

ValueAct sounds like a store brand laxative
05aIQZi.png

JimboJones

It sounds like Nintendo is pretty happy with it so hopefully they know what there doing and continue with there own style, I don't really like the Activision and EA comparisons, blech, i'd take shitty Nintendo online for another 20 years to stop them ending up like them.

Shaqazooloo

Yeah but then we got the franchise travesties that are Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem mobile, Mario Kart mobile, and Animal Crossing mobile, all of which are 100% trash.
Fire Emblem Heroes is actually pretty good and Mario Kart Tour is meh but I wouldn't call it trash..

$1.1 Billion shares?

200.gif

Have they not SEEN how much money Nintendo makes and possess in their War Chest?

$1.1 billion to Nintendo is like buying a Candy Bar at the store. These fools are ants if they think $1.1 billion is enough to buy enough Nintendo shares to have any influence.

Especially when someone like EA could easily outbid them 100 fold despite being a crappier Company.

Last edited:

Zannegan

My immediate, gut reaction to this news was, "Aw shit."

Nintendo, for all their flaws, are wildcards that make the industry fun to watch. They are the least corporate of the three in all the best and all the worst ways. I am extremely suspect of any outside influence, especially in the days of GaaS, where fully-priced games from EA and similarly corporate-minded publishers release with AAA graphics but phone-game levels of depth... and phone-game monetization strategies too.

That said, if we can take ValueAct at their word, and their goal with their investment stake is to increase Nintendo's value to increase the value of their own investment, and their strategy for doing this is just through prodding Nintendo in the direction of offering better, more logical digital services... then I am tentatively not pessimistic.

Best-case scenario, they convince Nintendo to make all eshop purchases forward-compatible, and to restart the Virtual Console initiative (or something similar) selling their old games on consoles, PC, and mobile clients. Worst case, they successfully push Nintendo's non-phone software development towards GaaS, make a short-term killing, and kill the golden goose in the long run.

Trying to stay positive, but that mention of Activision and EA as examples of what a gaming company should be doing, financially, is terrifying.

Last edited:

Caffeine

iwata passed away, reggie left, miyamoto and sakurai want to bounce and just live out their retirement with hookers and blow. investors are coming in to slowly pivot and make them more like the boys that think loot boxes are like kinder eggs. notlikethis.jpeg

VGEsoterica

translation - "let me buy a decent stake in this company, make it do what I want, wrench as much profit as I can out while destroying what it stands for, and bail out with my cash on the brink of ruining it"

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Taking over? LOL That's a tiny fraction of Nintendo...

If they get someone on the board, they don't need majority ownership, they'll still have a lot of say in the very least being able to cockblock stuff by voting it down. Depends on the conditions of the buy-in, though.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Fuck no. Didn’t Nintendo say they had some contingency in place to stop this happening?
I guess not.

I mean, those are the people who push stuff, because they pay the stuff. Usually they don't use that much money, but yeah...

Let's hope that this is to have freedom of movies and series, not touching in the games itself

Top Bottom