• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xi3 announce Steam-based mini-PC

Thraktor

Those specs are pretty damn laughable. Even my soon to be 5 year old ancient ass laptop is more powerful than that "Steambox", its Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 Ghz still wipes the floor when matched up with dual core AMD CPUs lol.

They aren't going to keep the same specs here. Expect something along the lines of a gaming laptop (potentially a bit more, given the more efficient cooling system).

I'd really love to use one of these as a Dolphin box but the CPU of even the high end model seems just short of making it a good one. It could still be a great candidate so I'll keep an eye out. The OS situation still remains to be seen though.

This is the sort of niche hardware product you'd expect Valve to get involved in, supporting a traditional console is something beyond their capabilities.

It has an interesting design, but it's not something I'd likely have any use for at these prices and power.

Proelite

This is the sort of niche hardware product you'd expect Valve to get involved in, supporting a traditional console is something beyond their capabilities.

I expected an upgradeable console with at least half the power of next generation consoles. Even the high end version currently is less than a quarter.

jwhit28

So this right now is the best integrated graphics can do and the AMD A10's 4 cores and 384 Radeon cores matches the specs of the $1000 configuration from here.

Battlefield-3virgoi3htpc.jpg

They aren't going to keep the same specs here. Expect something along the lines of a gaming laptop (potentially a bit more, given the more efficient cooling system).

Ah, I assumed the model listed for sale on their site was the same one they were showing off at Valves CES booth. But, no its not. Apparently the one at CES will be much higher specced and is designed with gaming in mind. It will be interesting to see what it looks like.

Coolwhip

Banned
Why are some people here obsessed with cutting edge specs? Its only worth your time if it has alien technology? Now look at the top 10 most played games on Steam...

Adding to that this box will already be 1k and for better specs the only option is an ugly huge PC, what would the point even be then.

Chinner

Banned
so we don't actually know if it will share the same details of the Xi3
-the same chasis
- same specs
- same price.

i imagine it'll probably be modular though.

we know very little, i think. anywho, keep the knee jerk reactions lads gotta wear those fanboy stripes on your coats.

Seriously, how can you not love this design? It's both beautiful and functional.

It's a single piece of extruded aluminum, with great end-to-end airflow from the sides and tons of ports on the back. Pretty much how I'd want my tiny computer to be built, if I were into such things.

Of course, its size puts it into a power bracket far below what I like to game on, but I can't argue with the design.
I just hope that whatever Valve makes has space for a discrete GPU.

Again,

2013: The year everyone decided to become console manufacturers.

Ouya, VS. Shield VS. Xi3/ Valve Box

Round one, fight!

So this right now is the best integrated graphics can do and the AMD A10's 4 cores and 384 Radeon cores matches the specs of the $1000 configuration from here.

Makes me wonder if they will be using something like an A8 or A10 in this machine. That would be a pretty good fit, TBH.

I assume that Valve and Xi3 will have a specific model that includes a more powerful GPU. We'll see tomorrow. No way the specs listed on Xi3's website are the steambox.

Bsigg12

Why are some people here obsessed with specs? Its only worth your time if it has alien technology? Now look at the top 10 most played games on Steam...

If you're going to be spending $500+ on something you would like to know if you'll get 3-4 years worth of use with games as close to their highest settings as possible. Specs are important here since its a PC. Consoles on the other hand are a special case because the system is designed specifically for gaming, not handling Word or PowerPoint.

That thing would barely be able to run L4D2 and Dota 2. No way this is the final reveal. Either that or Valves Steambox is actually an onlive type of service that will allow Valve to handle the hardware side for their Wine-like software that will allow them to get near 100% compatibility between their existing library in a linux based OS.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
each of these consoles will have different expectations. i don't think the ouya or steambox are intended to be in the same league as the xbox etc. essentially, your definition of 'crash and burn' may not match theirs.

I hope so, for them

1-D_FTW

Those specs are pretty damn laughable. Even my soon to be 5 year old ancient ass laptop is more powerful than that "Steambox", its Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 Ghz still wipes the floor when matched up with dual core AMD CPUs lol.

Probably has to do with Intel's linux drivers. And can't put an nvidia card in there since it does't have space.

Guevara

This should really be bolded in the OP. This isn't just some random company making a small PC that happens to play Steam games, Valve is very much directly involved in this.
Valve could have 20 such investments at 20 small pc manufacturers for $100,000 each. Call it prepaid marketing expenses and you get to be a "Valve" partner. We just don't know yet.

alphaNoid

Banned
I can't imagine that Valve would allow a 'partner' to annouce another hardware affiliated with Steam, before the official Steambox. Thus, I am guessing that this is.. the Steambox.

In that case, lol. Its like all these tech companies are just making gaming devices and throwing all they can at the wall to see what sticks. Sad

Omikaru

I assume that Valve and Xi3 will have a specific model that includes a more powerful GPU. We'll see tomorrow. No way the specs listed on Xi3's website are the steambox.

Pretty much how I feel. I'd be surprised if it's even the same chassis. Though the GabeCube is probably relatively similar in its design:

- Cubed.
- Modular.
- Great airflow design.

I expect any gaming or under-the-TV device to look a bit slicker, mind, and probably be a bit bigger.

Grayman

That is a really cool and small box. I don't need a steam box for gaming and wouldn't pay that price for those specs but I do like what they are getting onto.

z0m3le

Banned
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/262476727/xi3-help-us-usher-in-the-post-pc-era

As we envision our new X7A Modular Computer, we see it powered by a new Quad-Core 64-bit, x86-based processor running at up to 3.2GHz, integrated with up to 384 graphics shader cores, and 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and able to handle graphics-rich computer games like Crysis 2 with ease. The X7A Modular Computer will also run 3 high-definition monitors simultaneously, has four USB 3.0/2.0 ports, four eSATAp ports, four USB 2.0 ports, a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port, and up to 1TB of super fast solid-state storage inside the chassis, making it perfect for gamers and power users alike. And yet the X7A Modular Computer will be housed in a chassis about the size of a softball (4.27x3.65x3.65-inches) and run on a mere 40Watts of electricity or less.

We expect the X7A Modular Computer to begin shipping in early 2013 with a price starting at under $1,000. All within a chassis you can hold in the palm of your hand!

Considering it would be mass produced, and the specs point to an AMD APU (384 shaders)
They probably made a configuration that was considerably cheaper to make, and profit wouldn't need to actually be in the hardware either, since it's a delivery system for steam, and valve is basically behind this.

AMD APU for under $130 (that is the top of the line) probably somewhere between 500 and 700GFLOPs, the case itself probably doesn't cost that much to produce and memory here would cost at most $50, so yes it could be drastically cheaper and quite good if massed produced.

(you could build your own for about $300, without the module design, but still mini-ATX, with these specs)

Top Bottom