• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve uncertain about a CS International. GO may come to Source 2.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08...t-a-counter-strike-international-championship

Source 2

"I’m sure it’ll end up on Source 2 at some point," Valve's Erik Johnson said. "Counter-Strike is growing." Behind Dota 2, CS:GO is the most actively played game on Steam.

Johnson declined to discuss any additional Valve games coming to Source 2. "Dota 2 is all we're talking about right now."

TI

"I don’t know that it has to be coming," Johnson said.

"We’re pretty comfortable with different projects taking different approaches to solve similar problems," he explained. "As a company we actually learn more when we do that. If we all point everything in the same direction, we’d have a real blind spot for when we’re screwing up. In some ways, you want to diversify a bunch of decisions across different projects because you zero in on the right answer quickly, as opposed to 'we have this thing that’s working, everybody do that right now."

I think a CS TI would be a no brainer. Or if nothing else, introduce crowd sourced prize pools. Same goes for Source 2. GO might be the worst performing Source game out there.

I can already see this article being not well-received in the CS fandom. At all.

Armaros

It feels like CS:GO is being treated a bit like a red-headed stepchild despite it's insane popularity...

The CSGO community itself has stated they don't want one big Interntional like tournament and want the major system that is currently used (and Dota is going that way as well, just with the same big Interntional as one of the 4 majors)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It feels like CS:GO is being treated a bit like a red-headed stepchild despite it's insane popularity...

how do you figure?

it's only Valve's continued attention to the product that brought it from the least played Counter-Strike to the second most popular game on Steam

Nzyme32

CS:GO going to Source 2 is obviously going to happen. It's just a matter of when, and I'm sure they already have a plan for when they want to do it, they just never talk about this stuff.

As for a CS:GO international, aren't ESL and a bunch of others already doing that sort of stuff?

how do you figure?

it's only Valve's continued attention to the product that brought it from the least played Counter-Strike to the second most popular game on Steam

I probably phrased that poorly, it's continued support is certainly undeniable, but it always feels like the major players at Valve are far more keen to talk about Dota 2 than CS:GO.

TI really isn't the best thing for sustainable pro DOTA either, it just took off due to the massive popularity of TI2 and is now an institution in the game's DNA. It's always led to a massive amount of roster madness and shakeup and a lot of uncertainty for players, even for teams that place well in the event.

Spreading things out (like DOTA is doing with the Majors) and enforcing more controls on roster shakeups (again, DOTA is cleaning that up) leads to a more sustainable environment for players.

morikaze

Banned
how do you figure?

I haven't played the game much or paid much attention to updates since it's release but I do distinctly remember the large majority of people I read talking about it speaking very negatively about it in comparison to the other CS titles around release. Not sure where the turn around occured.

As someone that has no interest in Dota 2, what are the benefits of moving a game from source to source 2? I mean, I haven't really heard much about graphics upgrades?

Armaros

As someone that has no interest in Dota 2, what are the benefits of moving a game from source to source 2? I mean, I haven't really heard much about graphics upgrades?

It's not about graphics upgrades, it's about letting the game run more effieciently on weaker hardware (most notably weaker CPUs and intergrated graphics)

There are lots of places (like China) where they can't play dota2 because of how old and weak their hardware is.

vocab

The current engine loads assets slow as fuck/never caches them. You have to load all this shit every time you join the game/or fuck with the armory/store.

Qassim

I wouldn't want a gigantic International for CS by Valve like DOTA2, but the 250k prize pools need upping. The game has grown so, so much since the first Valve major, I think the majors deserve more.

CSGO has an *incredibly* healthy tournament circuit and if Valve came out with one or two huge prize pools for their majors then it would harm those other tournaments as teams could afford to skip out on more of them and instead focus on those majors.

It's not about graphics upgrades, it's about letting the game run more effieciently on weaker hardware (most notably weaker CPUs and intergrated graphics)

There are lots of places (like China) where they can't play dota2 because of how old and weak their hardware is.

Also, it would have better tools, which would enable easier map creation for ex.

DorkyMohr

Banned
There's a ton of small, yet critical gameplay bugs in CS:GO. Namely hitboxes and hit registration being somewhat inconsistent. I'd be nice if the lack of addressing of these was handled in part with a larger overhaul to Source 2.

injurai

Banned
The CSGO community itself has stated they don't want one big Interntional like tournament and want the major system that is currently used (and Dota is going that way as well, just with the same big Interntional as one of the 4 majors)

Yup. More events spreads on the monetary distribution amongst players and makes the competitive scene healthier. The international works because it's funded mostly by the dota community through micro-transactions.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I think what I'd like to see is Valve figure out a way to contribute to the CS/TF tournament communities by (a) buffing up the prize pools, but also (b) helping with tournament production resources. CSGO tournament streams are already pretty well produced, but the TF2 streams are absolutely anemic and the players compete over the internet instead of a LAN, even for most majors. There isn't any publicity for the tournaments on the web site/social media feeds, let alone in-game. Maybe stuff like that will improve once matchmaking launches in TF2, but hopefully they don't go MIA again at that point

Armaros

Yup. More events spreads on the monetary distribution amongst players and makes the competitive scene healthier. The international works because it's funded mostly by the dota community through micro-transactions.

And it might mean more team stability since you can't keep Team shuffling throughout the year and still get into the majors. Iirc the cutoff point for the first dota major is in a month or two.

Edit: as an aside, people complainig about how source 2 is taking so long to get anywhere (for Dota or CSGO) need to look up all of the bugs in the Dota reborn beta. Lots of massive game changing bugs (That didn't exist before in the source 1 version) everywhere that has to get stamped out to keep the same the same.

Hell the new tile system even made a direct port of the map different from source 1

Not anytime soon, at least. They were more just debunking the rumours that Source 2 would come with competitive matchmaking.

There were no rumors. They said it won't be ported over anytime soon. Then later Enigma said it's not getting ported and that's from a Valve dev. Not sure if it's from their initial visit or a later event, but this sounded a lot more direct.

injurai

Banned
And it might mean more team stability since you can't keep Team shuffling throughout the year and still get into the majors. Iirc the cutoff point for the first dota major is in a month or two.

Edit: as an aside, people complainig about how source 2 is taking so long to get anywhere (for Dota or CSGO) need to look up all of the bugs in the Dota reborn beta. Lots of massive game changing bugs (That didn't exist before in the source 1 version) everywhere that has to get stamped out to keep the same the same.

Hell the new tile system even made a direct port of the map different from source 1

It will probably split the community like it did with CSS.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It will probably split the community like it did with CSS.

They'd force everyone to move over, and I'd imagine they would want to avoid having significant changes which is why it'll probably be a while.

Xyber

Dang. I want to play a BALANCED TF 2 (with backstabs that work 100% of the time) with incredible graphics.

Being ported to S2 would most likely not mean a huge upgrade in graphics anyway. Just that it would perform better, load faster and stuff like that.

I really hope Valve converts TF2 to Source 2 at some point, or at least improves its optimization. My system that can run The Witcher 3 at 60fps High-Ultra struggles to stay above 60fps in TF2.

But on topic with how popular CS:GO is it seems a no-brainer for it to get the Source 2 treatment at some point.

ElTopo

Banned
Being ported to S2 would most likely not mean a huge upgrade in graphics anyway. Just that it would perform better, load faster and stuff like that.

It would fix some of the wonky hitboxes especially face stabs and back stabs that don't register.

I have no problems with Valve giving CSGO more love. I've been completely hooked by the game the last 3 weeks in a way that I have never been in 15 years. The last few weeks have been some of the most fun I've had gaming in my entire life.

Top Bottom