• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes, counter strike 2 is real and closer than you think

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://richardlewis.substack.com/p/sources-yes-counter-strike-2-is-real
....more at link

Speaking under the condition of anonymity sources with a knowledge of the game’s development told us that indeed there was a new version of Counter-Strike on its way and that had been worked on for some time. The new version is almost certainly set to be released under the title Counter-Strike 2 and the tentative release date for the beta is in this month of March with April 1st at the outside.

The sources explained that the creation of game had been something of a priority for Valve’s team, which includes members that have overseen development of previous iterations in the Counter-Strike franchise. This, they said, should explain why some issues with CS:GO have been largely unattended to for some time. “The big priority is getting this out and then polishing it, fixing any bugs and bringing it up to the level people expect from CS.”

Specific details of the game included that it will, of course, be on the Source 2 engine, a move that should improve the optimisation and graphical fidelity of the game. That is likely to come at a cost of performance for players with low-end PCs, although Valve historically has always had a philosophy of empowering those with every-day gaming rigs to be able to play their games.

The big question for the community has been whether or not official CS2 servers would be 128 tick bringing it in line with rival title Valorant. The sources confirmed that this would be the case and that this feature would likely be ready at the launch of the beta.

The game is also set to include a much improved match-making system with features that it is hoped would make the need for third party pugging services unnecessary. Currently the community has had to suffer from uneven match-making and long times between rank ups. Most who want an experience more closely aligned with that of a competitive player are typically advised to sign-up for third party services such as FACEIT.

cormack12

Gold Member
Lets Go Wow GIF by FaZe Clan

Specific details of the game included that it will, of course, be on the Source 2 engine, a move that should improve the optimisation and graphical fidelity of the game. That is likely to come at a cost of performance for players with low-end PCs, although Valve historically has always had a philosophy of empowering those with every-day gaming rigs to be able to play their games.
Weird thing for them to say. Source has always scaled well to low-end PCs and Source 2 so far has done so as well. Sounds like it's made up and hopping on all the other CS2 leaks out there to get people to sign up for their substack.

Scotty W

Gold Member
which includes members that have overseen development of previous iterations in the Counter-Strike franchise. This, they said, should explain why some issues with CS:GO have been largely unattended to for some time.

This would be a great metric by which to calculate the likelihood of sequel announcements in general. Train an algorithm on the history and you’re off!

VN1X

Banned
A fellow Richard Lewis enjoyer I see!

But yeah the rumblings of CSGO on Source 2 have been going on ever since 2016(!). However lets hope these more recent rumours hold weight and we see a big content drop/engine upgrade for CSGO soon. My hope is 128 tick servers across the board, more demo/viewer features (for the esports production side of things) and more casual content to keep us non-sweats happy also. I've solo-queued to Global 3 times and after the recent rank reset I just can't be bothered any more.

Last edited:
I don't play CS:GO. I've tried but I don't know wtf I'm doing and get my ass kicked.

For those who do play it I'm just wondering do you think it needs an upgrade? What do you think can be improved?

I'm curious because it's always being played by thousands of people at any time on Steam. I know it's popular but seems like it's doing fine. What do I know though! :)

Rykan

I'm expecting more of a "remake" than an actual full fledged sequel. CS:GO has a very specific formula that I'm not sure they really want to mess with.

I don't play CS:GO, but still play CS:Source.
I think that was the first PC game I ever bought. It looked so cool but I didn't play it much because CS:GO game out soon after. Not that I played that much either.

I wish I could get into this game. Valorant seems similar and more interesting but I don't want to have to install that anti cheat spyware trash.

VN1X

Banned
what issues does CS GO have that have been unattended?
Poor map editor (that the community themselves have had to update and "hack" themselves in order to get more detailed and intricate environments work), no native support for most new or current-gen features, outdated performance optimization, etc.

Hell, even the new Panorama UI was a hackjob by Valve themselves. A feature that is available natively on something like Source 2 but took ages to get to work on Source 1. Overall it's just a ballache to work with. With Source 2 new (community) content will come at a much faster rate plus it will be far easier to realize a higher quality to boot.

Holammer

I don't play CS:GO. I've tried but I don't know wtf I'm doing and get my ass kicked.

For those who do play it I'm just wondering do you think it needs an upgrade? What do you think can be improved?

I'm curious because it's always being played by thousands of people at any time on Steam. I know it's popular but seems like it's doing fine. What do I know though! :)
Yes, it needs an upgrade. It runs on a 19 year old engine held together with duct tape (truly beautiful duct tape work). DOTA2 was ported to Source 2 ages ago and enjoyed better framerate, stability & loading speed. That's all it needs.
All Valve games rely on user created content so it would also make that process so much easier with new modern tools. Map makers have to jump through hoops to do stuff that would be trivial on Unreal Engine.

They should upgrade other games to future proof them, like TF2. Ever tabbed out of the game?
It's time for: Will... it... CRAAAASH?!?!? *jaunty game-show music plays*

xHunter

what issues does CS GO have that have been unattended?
Anticheat is pretty much nonexistent
If i recall, when they introduced agent skins, they messed up some of the hitbox,
Matchmaking + ranks system has been trash since like forever
Server tick rate has been at 64 since the game released. Third party services have already switched to 128 tick years ago + valorant released with a higher tickrate

There is probably more but i havent played for 1-2 years.

VN1X

Banned
Someone posted these on reddit as a mock-up. I don't actually mind some of those. Dust 2 and Nuke look especially neat!
Controlnet is a new extension for SD that creates outlines, depth maps and more from an image, and SD will use that info to create new images with the prompt you give it.

You can give it also give it crappy sketches and it can create photorealistic images from it whilst keeping the exact proportions

Overpass
kins8spscsla1.png

Inferno
uzw30spscsla1.png

Mirage
4e62trpscsla1.png

Dust 2
z0x3xrpscsla1.png

Nuke
h1lzjspscsla1.png

Vertigo
qe3emrpscsla1.png

counter strike 2? so, source? back to 2003 here we go! stopped playing cs a bit after go released, I lost all interest, and the few playerbase only wanted to play a couple maps. the beauty of css was the endless stream of new maps to play around

ThisIsMyDog

CS has been mastered back in 2000s with 1.6, then we just had mostly graphical improvements with new engine but core mechanics stayed the same.

CSGO is still good-enough looking game but as Valve developed they new engine (Source 2) it is time to switch to that.

What i expect? Better looking with better psychics, core mechanics going to stay the same.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Did you guys watch this video?

In 6 months, he somehow ported CS:GO to the Source 2 engine with his own little team. There is another Source 2 port project for Team Fortress 2, but Valve has only given a legal warning to this team. I guess this is another proof that validates a Cs Go made with the Source 2 engine.

Tried CSGO after a few years today and it’s full of assholes, just like it was when I left it. It’s also full of money grabbing bullshit. They should release CS2 as a buy to play game and remove all the bullshit monetisation. Ain’t gonna happen but that’s what I’d like.

Sentenza

I'm ready to bet a fifty that if there's any visual upgrade it will be barely noticeable.

This is one of these games that have a long history of catering to an audience with low specs systems.

reinking

Gold Member
I stopped playing CS consistantly at 1.6 when it moved to Steam. LOL. For one, the team and server I played with for years folded. Two, who wanted to install this Steam client to their PC? I have gone back now and then over but totally sucked after not playing for years. I might give it another go if/when CS2 hits beta. Damn... ...I'm old.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
as a long time cs 1.6 player, i don't think valve really "gets" what made cs 1.6 so good, as evidenced by all the garbage iterations of counterstrike that came after it. CZ and then CSS was the most abysmal shit ive ever seen. people also forget CS GO was also complete dog shit and unplayable until they had to bring in brilliant minds and cs 1.6 pros like Volcano to make it what it is today. and even then its still garbage netcode, 64 tic servers and completely riddled with hackers. unfortunately I've completely lost faith with valve when it comes to CS

Last edited:

Holammer

A week later and there seems to be multiple depot updates, which is unusual as regular Operation updates only need one afaik. So update Soon™.

Datamining of the maps expected to be included in the update.

This makes me wonder if the skin system will be imported retaining older skins within the new game? Its a big money maker for Valve regardless of what people think of them.

Top Bottom