• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike 2 Has Become Valve's Worst-Rated Game Ever

Draugoth

Gold Member
counter-strike-2.jpg

At the start of September, Valve released Counter-Strike 2, which is seen as being the next generation of Counter-Strike, but fans from the most casual to the most elite are finding plenty of things to complain about.

On Steam, Counter-Strike 2 has now become Valve’s worst-rated game. That includes all the historic reviews accrued by CSGO over the years, as essentially, Counter-Strike 2 just ‘hijacked’ CSGO’s store page on Steam following its global release.

People Really Aren’t Happy​

counter-strike-2-steam.jpg

Out of all Valve games ranging from Left 4 Dead to Portal, nothing boasts worse reviews than Counter-Strike 2 right now. On Steam, the recent review marker reads ‘Mixed’, and in total, there are almost one million reviews considered as negative.

From hitbox issues to concerns with the ‘sub tick’ structure of the servers, and from a stripped-down platform overall to more cheaters than ever before, there are plenty of things that are irritating players of late.

Recently, one professional player, Oleksandr ‘s1mple’ Kostyliev, went on record slamming CS2, stressing that players shouldn’t get on board with the game for a few months, thanks to the teething issues that it’s experiencing.

Kupfer

As a casuaI with ~2000h in CSGO I think it became a worthy sccessor.
The new mechanics are fun and the game has not changed fundamentally.
Ranks and elo are more transparent and it plays smoother in my opinion.
Of course there is room for improvement, but that will still come little by little

Last edited:

Kikorin

I think that's a common thing when there are big changes in competitive games. I always heard the worst complaint from the competitive Smash Bros community after every update and introduction of every new character (broken, OP...), but after some weeks everyone get used to the news and everything is fine.

I don't play CS from CS Source, so I don't know if will be the same.

chlorate

Valve shouldn’t be worried, this is nothing compared to how the community hated Source when it came out relative to 1.6

Sushi_Combo

Well Counter Strike Global Offensive was even worse in the beginning and almost nobody played it. You know what happened to that game. They've got plenty of time to make it better.

I still casually play the Ps3 version to remind myself of the good ol' days.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's fun. Obviously won't have quite as much shit at launch as other shit have years later. The community has embraced it, players and modders alike. So many cool maps and shit in the making. Chill & have fun. It's the most played game.

Edit: oh wait it's not actually a concern or argument from someone who played the game at all, just another Draug nonthingburger thread copy pasted from wherever on the internet in his race for most shit threads created. Never mind.

Last edited:

marjo

Not at all surprising. The CS community is full of hardcore players who were bound to freak out at every little change. I honestly would have expected it to be much lower.

Last edited:

xHunter

The game launched without new content except for the new matchmaking mode, which has its own flaws, problems with the new animations and weird behind the wall kills due to the new tick system. Plus they removed a few modes that were available in CSGO. Seems to me like they rushed it out.

As a casuaI with ~2000h in CSGO I think it became a worthy sccessor.
The new mechanics are fun and the game has not changed fundamentally.
Ranks and elo are more transparent and it plays smoother in my opinion.
Of course there is room for improvement, but that will still come little by little
Same here.
All new additions are great, my problem is with features that were taken away like demos, overwatch, 360 stats. And some obviously fixable technical issues like memory leaks and occasionally iffy hit detection.
It works, it plays well, premier MM is good so far - all of my matches were well-balanced. Give me the old features back (which I'm sure will happen over time), and I'm good.

Dota 2 Reborn was a much worse transition than this.
CS:GO was a HELL of a lot worse transition than this.

Hugare

My experience have been much better than going from Source to GO, I'll give you that

These kind of games get better with time. Its not like Valve will drop support for it 1 month from now.

Its fine, I've been having fun with it. People being overly picky.

I have 3k hours in CSGO play to a high level.

It's not bad at all. CS fans are just mentally ill and also have high standards. They are comparing CS2 to quite literally the most polished and greatest shooter in existence (CSGO) which took a good 7 years to get to where it was in its final form.

The catch was always going to be valve can't make the tiny fixes cs2 needs without launching it because you need testing on such a ridiculous scale that it needs to be launched to find the stuff people are moaning about.

CS2 is incredibly polished in terms of mechanics. If it was being compared to pretty much any AAA shooter which is launched at 70 dollars - it's far superior. So anyone whining right now about their FREE game going through a huge upgrade which EVERYONE wanted. Can fuck off.

In 6 months CS2 will be as good as go ever was - if not better.

winjer

Gold Member
I remember that CS-GO also got a mixed reception, with lots of people criticizing it negatively.
But the game improved and people changed their minds.

splattered

Not that devs should get a free pass but I feel like it is becoming trendy to be overly critical/negative about everything nowadays. Seems like nearly every game in recent memory has been crapped on except baldurs gate 3. Haven't played that one yet but not gonna put it above all else just because you can have sex with everyone/anything which seems to be one of the main selling points when I read people's opinions online. Society is becoming just.. weird.

Rhazkul

Steam Reviews are useless. Memes, Copy & Paste jokes, Review bombing, ASCII images...it's all there. I wouldn't take them too serious and i think Valve should remove them.
Played a few rounds and it's as good and smooth as i remember, not much changed. I won't keep playing the game though due to reasons (an hour was enough out of curiousity), but it's not because the game is bad or something.

nikos

I think it's already better than CS:GO and will eventually get to a state where most people are pleased. Source is still my favorite.

Top Bottom