• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 Released to 'Negative' Reviews on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
s67Tkak.jpg

Overwatch 2 currently has ‘Mostly Negative’ reviews after nearly 4,000 player reviews on Valve’s platform​

The arrival of Overwatch 2 on Steam was a very important moment for the free to play will come back Blizzard has acknowledged that “player engagement from players has decreased,” but there are currently thousands of players playing on the Valve platform. However, it seems that many of them are very angry.

If we go to the Overwatch 2 product page on Steam, we can check how the general reviews are in ‘mostly negative‘. This has happened because only the 31% of players who have given a positive review. It seems that there are several reasons that show the discontent of the players with the decisions that Blizzard has made.

Many criticisms are related to achieving heroes with the Battle Pass, while others have to do with the cancellation of the PvE game mode that was announced in 2019. On the other hand, there are other users who have complained about the matchmaking, since it seems that the matchmaking does not satisfy those who have just started. Finally, there are a number of players who are only dedicated to downvoting since they are fans of Team Fortres 2.

I've never seen such a great game be...ruined so quickly.

in my opinion, I was calling foul on overwatch back when they did the hero limit, and had a faulty ranking system for ranked play. when in reality that system worked better for clans rather than trying to gauge individual rank by team success lol

they were just doing stuff you don't normally do with a online competitive shooter, and I knew it would get bad.

they were just making changes for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Many criticisms are related to achieving heroes with the Battle Pass, while others have to do with the cancellation of the PvE game mode that was announced in 2019. On the other hand, there are other users who have complained about the matchmaking, since it seems that the matchmaking does not satisfy those who have just started. Finally, there are a number of players who are only dedicated to downvoting since they are fans of Team Fortres 2.
Shills trying to soften the blow.

Paltheos

I've never seen such a great game be...ruined so quickly.

in my opinion, I was calling foul on overwatch back when they did the hero limit, and had a faulty ranking system for ranked play. when in reality that system worked better for clans rather than trying to gauge individual rank by team success lol

they were just doing stuff you don't normally do with a online competitive shooter, and I knew it would get bad.

they were just making changes for the sake of it.

I might be in the minority, but I think the long-term health of the game was better of for hero limits and role queue. Those first months were crazy fun, yeah, but also nobody really knew what they were doing? I think we would have gotten to a worse place if Blizzard hadn't installed guard rails like that.

Shills trying to soften the blow.

Locking heroes behind a battle pass is a legit complaint for Overwatch in particular. The first game was profitable for years while offering free heroes for its entire run.

DrFigs

Locking heroes behind a battle pass is a legit complaint for Overwatch in particular. The first game was profitable for years while offering free heroes for its entire run.
They're only temporarily locked and very easy to unlock after they become available for everyone.

edit: actually i'm not even sure if you need to wait. i think you just have to level up the free battle pass.

Last edited:
They should have just..upgraded the game big time graphically, and from a feature standpoint (maps, characters, modes) and released it as a regular paid release.

like the old days really. They would've faired better. but they would've had to make it look like a new gen sequel, not this samey shit.

I might be in the minority, but I think the long-term health of the game was better of for hero limits and role queue. Those first months were crazy fun, yeah, but also nobody really knew what they were doing? I think we would have gotten to a worse place if Blizzard hadn't installed guard rails like that.

ehh, I think it created role queue which made things take much longer, games in the beginning used to go from match to match nonstop. and THAT is what kept it blowing up. Because you could just...keep playing. That ultimately is what works if you wanna keep your game big.

also they weren't balancing the game the same anymore. before they had to consider how OP it would be if there were 2
sombras or something. now they can have that character be broken if they want, because there is typically only one of them.

they also kept fragmenting the player base, now they have custom games (which I like), but also have no hero limit, and role limit categories. so wait times got longer and longer....

I think at the most they should've done a 2 hero double limit. i.e. 2 zarya's, and 2 genji's would be feasible for example.

and should've just had clans, like every other shooter and the OWL. instead of doing ranked the way they did...

Celcius

°Temp. member
I played for an hour but I just kinda feel like I'm done with the game. I already played it tons over the years and I'm not going to pay to play with new characters. Plus all the bad decisions they've made over the years sigh.

Vox Machina

Banned
Unsurprised by the reviews. People have strong emotions about this game. I am surprised by the playerbase on Steam though. 42.5k playing at the moment. That seems surprisingly high for a game that the vast majority of players are probably still playing through Battle.net.

LRKD

a lot of the bad reviews are also just cuz the bundle isn't giving the purchased item right away, seems like for some people it takes up to 4 hours to receive bought items

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this was bound to happen, lol. I'm pretty sure we all saw it coming from a mile away. Makes me feel bad for the people that do legitimately enjoy the game. At least some of them are constructive, there's nothing more annoying than negative reviews followed by memes, or something that is of no value.

VN1X

Banned
They should have just..upgraded the game big time graphically, and from a feature standpoint (maps, characters, modes) and released it as a regular paid release.

like the old days really. They would've faired better. but they would've had to make it look like a new gen sequel, not this samey shit.
Overwatch's visuals are the least of its problems. Dare I say, it's the best thing it has going for it.

Chastten

Banned
I liked the early days. I'd just play the free mode or whatever it was called, and I loved those matches.

6 Torbjorns in a single team? No problem. No healers or tanks? Go for it. Only melee DPS? Who cares. Didn't matter if I'd win or lose, I had actual fun. Progression was fairly quick as well. I don't particularly like lootboxes but you'd get them at a fairly quick pace so it was all good.

But every change they made fucked up the game more. Think it's been 3+ years since last playing it and I have no intention of going back.

Denton

There is a reason there are no user reviews on Battle.net (or EGS for that matter). Now, Blizzard actually gets to see people's feedback in written and numerical form. Must be a bit of a shock.

But, if they want to improve their mood, all they have to do is release Diablo 2 Resurrected on Steam, and original Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 1 and 2, and..

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
A 17% Steam user score. But still, there is 52k people playing it.
Much better games don't have this many players....

Porticus

A 17% Steam user score. But still, there is 52k people playing it.
Much better games don't have this many players....

Nothing amazing to begin with, specially seeing that the numbers are gonna get lower with time.

But probably it will peak this weekend.

Overwatch's visuals are the least of its problems. Dare I say, it's the best thing it has going for it.
it should be...way above that considering the hardware available. it's not really upgraded since OW1, AND OW1 was easy to run back in 2015.

think about when cs source or battlefield 2 came out, the graphics were in line with the hardware. shit could be hard to run if you wanted it to even with top hardware. not Overwatch.

back then they had more complex physics going than what you see in overwatch.

overwatch 2 maxed out should look like a little Pixar movie. smoke effects, particles, maps with npcs walking around in the background. I feel like gamers are lacking imagination these days, or...vision? like they actually think overwatches graphics are in line with the hardware and their mind isn't capable of seeing what could be. they only take what is.

Last edited:
I liked the early days. I'd just play the free mode or whatever it was called, and I loved those matches.

6 Torbjorns in a single team? No problem. No healers or tanks? Go for it. Only melee DPS? Who cares. Didn't matter if I'd win or lose, I had actual fun. Progression was fairly quick as well. I don't particularly like lootboxes but you'd get them at a fairly quick pace so it was all good.

But every change they made fucked up the game more. Think it's been 3+ years since last playing it and I have no intention of going back.
agreed. the uncreative types that are too left brained to see why the hero limit convoluted the game, don't understand the concept of controlled chaos.

If it were me, no one would be "nerfed" just buff characters around what's currently happening. making genji for example more clunky to play is not the answer.

ranked would work itself out, a team full of torbs wouldn't win. but would allow for some more creative compositions to be established, two genji's 3 tanks and a healer could be a badass team depending on the players. teams could be unique.

it also would encourage players to love a main more often. I don't think there's an issue with primarily wanting to play one or two characters, you cant force everyone to play all of them. if I had the two best tracers in the world on my team, we probably are still going to beat a "perfect comp" on paper.

ugh

tmlDan

This thread and the reviews are hyperbolic, i actually really like OW2 and have been playing OW since launch with some gaps.

The games fun regardless of your opinion, having heroes unlockable in the BP is no big deal cause you can still get it for free (not paywalled)

The biggest L is them charging for the SP portion of invasion that just came out and cancelling a broader SP approach. But the release of new heroes constantly is refreshing and events keep coming that get you free stuff, it's not as bad as people say.

VN1X

Banned
it should be...way above that considering the hardware available. it's not really upgraded since OW1, AND OW1 was easy to run back in 2015.

think about when cs source or battlefield 2 came out, the graphics were in line with the hardware. shit could be hard to run if you wanted it to even with top hardware. not Overwatch.

back then they had more complex physics going than what you see in overwatch.

overwatch 2 maxed out should look like a little Pixar movie. smoke effects, particles, maps with npcs walking around in the background. I feel like gamers are lacking imagination these days, or...vision? like they actually think overwatches graphics are in line with the hardware and their mind isn't capable of seeing what could be. they only take what is.
My brother in Christ, Overwatch 1/2 looks great in and of itself. The reason it still holds up is the art style. Better graphics in terms of raw fidelity isn't going to help it. Especially as it has much more pressing issues they need to address. Also I'm not sure what your point is with "Overwatch not being hard to run" when it came out, I mean... that's exactly what you'd hope for as a player lol. For it to run without hassle and smooth as can be?

Anyway, competitive multiplayer games aren't actually helped by "better graphics". Not in the least of which because they want it to run on as many devices as possible but also due to readability/visibility. Less is more in that regard. Of course we can have multiplayer games that look like [insert visually impressive singleplayer game of your choosing here] but that would come at the cost of a smooth gameplay, fast input, visibility, big community, etc. Again, OW looks more than fine and still holds up really well. A few more pixels in order for it to appeal to graphicswhores won't change the state of the game any bit when they can't even push out the promised co-op campaign content.

Last edited:
The games fun regardless of your opinion

The reviews are not about the game being bad tho. Everyone agrees that Overwatch made the hero team pvp comp popular again, and its gameplay loop was fun and had huge competitive potential. The problem is how Bzizzard treated the game, pvp wise, competitive wise, etc. They FUCKED UP badly. Gameplay is most likely still fun but its core and its skin are different things and its skin is a piece of shit. A good gameplay wrapped in money hungry puss.

Last edited:

tmlDan

The reviews are not about the game being bad tho. Everyone agree that Overwatch made the hero team pvp comp popular again, and its gameplay loop was fun and had huge competitive potential. THe problem is how BLizzard treated the game, pvp wise, competitive wise, etc. The FUCKED UP badly.
No, they didn't? they're adding new maps, added new modes, the majority of complaints i've read are monetization and cosmetics which are subjective cause you don't need those, people have some weird fetish with skin collection like in CSGO, thats gambling not gaming......everything that effects gameplay (heroes) are free if you play enough. I am not a competitive player on OW2, idc about that part I play for fun and its still fun - could they do a bit better with events? ya, probably, but the recent Lucio soccer game/Rocket league mode was fun, this new one is okay.

It's mostly anger around the SP exclusion, which is valid, comp and the regular main mode is constantly updated. That's more than I can say for other F2P games.

gothmog

Gold Member
This thread and the reviews are hyperbolic, i actually really like OW2 and have been playing OW since launch with some gaps.

The games fun regardless of your opinion, having heroes unlockable in the BP is no big deal cause you can still get it for free (not paywalled)

The biggest L is them charging for the SP portion of invasion that just came out and cancelling a broader SP approach. But the release of new heroes constantly is refreshing and events keep coming that get you free stuff, it's not as bad as people say.
The game is still fun. The problem is the years of unnecessary drama that have worn people down.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You just gotta love the fact that they've put a disclaimer next to the Invasion bundle stating that it's not refundable, and then linked to T&C that indicated that it totally is, lol.

Seriously, fuck this company.

My brother in Christ, Overwatch 1/2 looks great in and of itself. The reason it still holds up is the art style. Better graphics in terms of raw fidelity isn't going to help it. Especially as it has much more pressing issues they need to address. Also I'm not sure what your point is with "Overwatch not being hard to run" when it came out, I mean... that's exactly what you'd hope for as a player lol. For it to run without hassle and smooth as can be?

Anyway, competitive multiplayer games aren't actually helped by "better graphics". Not in the least of which because they want it to run on as many devices as possible but also due to readability/visibility. Less is more in that regard. Of course we can have multiplayer games that look like [insert visually impressive singleplayer game of your choosing here] but that would come at the cost of a smooth gameplay, fast input, visibility, big community, etc. Again, OW looks more than fine and still holds up really well. A few more pixels in order for it to appeal to graphicswhores won't change the state of the game any bit when they can't even push out the promised co-op campaign content.
you are missing my point, of course their business plan was to make overwatch easy to run, they did the same with WoW.

However you are acting like games never upgraded in fidelity once a sequel was released. with your logic, overwatch should look the same even if we're on the 4th title. at some point...it should evolve to look even better. especially if you are trying to sell me an evolution if the product. that's how shit USED to be?

cs source didn't look like 1.6

battlefield 2 didn't look like 1942.

why does that apply, and not with overwatch? did we drop our standards? seems like it.

why are we acting like that sense of progression doesn't matter? we're even in a new generation entirely, tekken 4 didn't look like tekken 3. Back then we expected the new title released for the new generation to look better, on TOP of changes to the gameplay. I expect both.

also my other point is, it would definitely help sell the idea that this is a NEW progression and sequel to overwatch. you have to visually convey that the old game is old news. that's important for marketing. nobody is saying don't fix other aspects of the game.

if you think that's asking for too much, then you lowered your standards with the time. because that was common place. we're in a new console generation for God's sake. Sell me that you've evolved in ALL aspects, this isn't a 2 year release. the game came out nearly 10 years ago, and a gen ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom