• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's predict the number of concurrent players when Overwatch 2 releases on Steam.

Predict Peak Online Players

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • 200k-400k

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • 600k-800k

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 1 mil

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 2 mil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 mil

• 4 mil

• 5+ mil

• 10k-20k

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • 30k-40k

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 50k-60k

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • 70k-80k

• Total voters

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is only gonna be counting the people playing via Steam, right? I don't think it'll make a massive difference. Who wants to play Overwatch 2 on PC that isn't already using Battle.Net?

Seems like sort of a desperate ploy given Valve are gonna start taking cuts of MTX, but I guess they've crunched the numbers and decided the fresh eyes are worth it. Game must be suffering.

Spyxos

This is only gonna be counting the people playing via Steam, right? I don't think it'll make a massive difference. Who wants to play Overwatch 2 on PC that isn't already using Battle.Net?

Seems like sort of a desperate ploy given Valve are gonna start taking cuts of MTX, but I guess they've crunched the numbers and decided the fresh eyes are worth it. Game must be suffering.
Cod and Battlefield were also played by many on Steam even though they already had it on other platforms and even had to buy it again. And this game is directly f2p.

Last edited:

Braag

Doesn't steam track only those who launch it from Steam? So then it would be quite a bit less I would imagine, like 40k or something.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Cod and Battlefield were also played by many on Steam even though they already had it on other platforms and even had to buy it again. And this game is directly f2p.

Not really the same thing when Overwatch has been exclusive to Battle.Net forever on PC. Trying to make COD a BNet exclusive was a miserable failure, this is kinda the opposite scenario.

Spyxos

Not really the same thing when Overwatch has been exclusive to Battle.Net forever on PC. Trying to make COD a BNet exclusive was a miserable failure, this is kinda the opposite scenario.
I do think they are comparable, since Cod was gone for a long time and as I said, you had to buy it again.

Holammer

200k feels like a realistic guess. Apex Legends launched f2p with 116k two years ago and Modern Warfare 2 launched with 263k as full priced game (before Warzone launch).

VN1X

Banned
Anything less than 100k is unrealistic.
Is it honestly?

Not trying to be facetious as I genuinely thought everyone's over Overwatch (hah). We'll see soon enough though but I'd be surprised if it does numbers over 60k tbh. Then again maybe I'm completely out of touch (still don't get why people bother with Diablo IV for instance).

Spyxos

Is it honestly?

Not trying to be facetious as I genuinely thought everyone's over Overwatch (hah). We'll see soon enough though but I'd be surprised if it does numbers over 60k tbh. Then again maybe I'm completely out of touch (still don't get why people bother with Diablo IV for instance).
It's nowhere near as popular as ow1, but I do think the name alone will attract a lot of people.

Demigod Mac

Doesn't steam track only those who launch it from Steam? So then it would be quite a bit less I would imagine, like 40k or something.
Yep, important to remember it won't count the players using the battle.net launcher (vast majority).

Holammer

Is it honestly?

Elden Ring launched with 931k, Hogwarts Legacy with 879k concurrent players, both as full priced games.
So the potential for huge numbers is there, if it gets say 600-900k users concurrent? That's gonna be a kick in the teeth for Bnet as it proves the launcher is a hurdle to customers.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can't imagine there's much thirst for Overwatch 2 on Steam. It feels like everyone who wants to play it already is. Interesting question though OP. I'll be curious about the results.

Topped out at 40k on day 1, even with an F2P option
qRmnAwE.png

also

HJAgGgy.png

Glad that Steam users aren't letting Blizzard's bullshit fade into obscurity. On Battle.net they can easily ignore the criticism because there are no user reviews, but a visible Mostly Negative rating on day one means it'll scare new players away.

Last edited:

Griffon

300k~500k on the first day.

50k two weeks later.
Oh boy I was way too "optimistic". I overestimated current Blizzard's popularity and gamers tolerance for poor support.

For once I'm glad to be wrong.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

Holammer

Hey I was right! :lollipop_grinning_eyes:

CsyENjp.png
70k players right now and there's another eight hours left on its first 24h on Steam.
It released at an awkward time (midnight in CET Europe) on a Thursday with a chunky 34GB download. Like BG3, peak concurrent engagement has the potential to increase.

3ih616.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Up to 75k

Top Bottom