• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 2 Released to 'Negative' Reviews on Steam

what a dumb thing to complain about
kysMnNV.png

45k dumb people huh? Damn you must be special.

hyperbertha

you are missing my point, of course their business plan was to make overwatch easy to run, they did the same with WoW.

However you are acting like games never upgraded in fidelity once a sequel was released. with your logic, overwatch should look the same even if we're on the 4th title. at some point...it should evolve to look even better. especially if you are trying to sell me an evolution if the product. that's how shit USED to be?

cs source didn't look like 1.6

battlefield 2 didn't look like 1942.

why does that apply, and not with overwatch? did we drop our standards? seems like it.

why are we acting like that sense of progression doesn't matter? we're even in a new generation entirely, tekken 4 didn't look like tekken 3. Back then we expected the new title released for the new generation to look better, on TOP of changes to the gameplay. I expect both.

also my other point is, it would definitely help sell the idea that this is a NEW progression and sequel to overwatch. you have to visually convey that the old game is old news. that's important for marketing. nobody is saying don't fix other aspects of the game.

if you think that's asking for too much, then you lowered your standards with the time. because that was common place. we're in a new console generation for God's sake. Sell me that you've evolved in ALL aspects, this isn't a 2 year release. the game came out nearly 10 years ago, and a gen ago.
Overwatch's visual style is such that it's hard to improve. It's just a stylized Disney style that people love. To create noticeable improvements from here it'll likely need huge changes like real time path tracing and fully simulated hair and particles. Most people won't be able to play it.

Saber

Gold Member
Thats great news then!

Well, until they circunvent this by making an another old character gay.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

rubenburgt

I'm not surprised.

The players don't feel heard by blizzard so I don't find it strange that they vent their frustration on steam.

Also, the game really isn't that good.
Look, the gameplay is fun, but that's about it.
And you might think that's fine, but they can't balance this game so that fun of yours may be gone next month.

Overwatch's visual style is such that it's hard to improve. It's just a stylized Disney style that people love. To create noticeable improvements from here it'll likely need huge changes like real time path tracing and fully simulated hair and particles. Most people won't be able to play it.
in nearly 10 years? No...you literally have ratchet and clank sitting there with a Disney style and showcasing what that can look like. so the idea that it can't improve just because of art style is an excuse.

also has nothing to do with particle effects and phyx

I played overwatch 1 with a 970, and it was easily able to destroy that game and the highest settings....I have a 3080 now and the game is the same...on the sequel...8 years later.

I feel like some of you don't want to admit when you are being...played lol

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
in nearly 10 years? No...you literally have ratchet and clank sitting there with a Disney style and showcasing what that can look like. so the idea that it can't improve just because of art style is an excuse.

also has nothing to do with particle effects and phyx

I played overwatch 1 with a 970, and it was easily able to destroy that game and the highest settings....I have a 3080 now and the game is the same...on the sequel...8 years later.

I feel like some of you don't want to admit when you are being...played lol
I think you might have a brain worm.

Yes we all know OW2 is basically an oxymoron from the moment it was announced and details started to spill that made it clear it was just a glorified patch.

However your obsession with visuals and it "running a certain way" make absolutely no sense. The game still looks great and holds up just as well. Yes they can make it look "like Pixar" (whatever the fuck that means) but that would come at a cost of both (unnecessary) development resources and players' ability to actually run the game at an acceptable framerate.

Some of the most celebrated multiplayer games these days are the ones which don't go for the bleeding edge and instead opt for stylized visuals or otherwise a more simpler presentation which comes with the benefit of performance and visibility.

Again we all know OW2 is shitty but its visuals are the least of its problems. If it came out looking like 'the best thing ever' it still would've suffered from many underlying issues. Us realising that has nothing to do with "us being played" lol.

Your 'arguments' are so poorly thoughtout, I don't know why I even bother.

Last edited:
This thread and the reviews are hyperbolic, i actually really like OW2 and have been playing OW since launch with some gaps.

The games fun regardless of your opinion, having heroes unlockable in the BP is no big deal cause you can still get it for free (not paywalled)

The biggest L is them charging for the SP portion of invasion that just came out and cancelling a broader SP approach. But the release of new heroes constantly is refreshing and events keep coming that get you free stuff, it's not as bad as people say.
Glad you’re having fun with the game but your opinion is just that and regardless of your opinion, there are other people who will disagree. That’s no way to structure your argument and makes it worthless because you clearly aren’t interested in what anyone else thinks.

Dane

Its obvious

1) Blizzard catered entirely to the E-sports scene and fucked core players with all the stuff they did in OW1
2) TF2 players hate Overwatch for some reason.

I think you might have a brain worm.

uh, just because your brain is having a hard time figuring out that this alludes to an industry wide issue overall. Doesn't mean someone has brain worms, all you did was simplify what I'm saying down to your remedial level of understanding of why this is bad. So I guess I have to go out of my way to explain some thing you should already accept. here we go.

Yes we all know OW2 is basically an oxymoron from the moment it was announced and details started to spill that made it clear it was just a glorified patch.

However your obsession with visuals and it "running a certain way" make absolutely no sense. The game still looks great and holds up just as well. Yes they can make it look "like Pixar" (whatever the fuck that means) but that would come at a cost of both (unnecessary) development resources and players' ability to actually run the game at an acceptable framerate.

well with your logic no game should ever improve in that department if the visuals "look fine enough".

I literally pointed to past industry trends where games would improve technologically and from an in-game standpoint in the same time period. funny enough, back then "development resources" wasn't an issue. Why is it now? we even have a new console generation, thus new hardware, so being able to run minor improvements shouldn't be an issue either. Have you forgotten that tech improved previously with each gen?

Some of the most celebrated multiplayer games these days are the ones which don't go for the bleeding edge and instead opt for stylized visuals or otherwise a more simpler presentation which comes with the benefit of performance and visibility.

oh, like fortnite? let me tell you something,
those "successful" multiplayer games of today are part of the problem, and the reason why online games feel no need to improve; and why OW2 has the model it has. You speak on it as if it's not an issue, or hasn't stagnated the industry.

your line of thinking here is so...simplistic, that you are operating within the mindset of the logic the corporation adheres to. Of course they want to do as little work, and have as much profit as possible . They want to make a game, not change it much or put much resources into it, and have it last long as possible as a cash cow.

whereas I made the point, that if they had released in classic sequel form, where not only gameplay systems AND visuals are upgraded, it would have much better communicated that it was an overall upgrade. you know...how games used to be? Don't bring up what they are doing today, what they are doing today is what I, and many others are complaining about.

monetization and profit over innovation. because innovation "costs too much". You speak as if you are accepting this, hence being played.

Again we all know OW2 is shitty but its visuals are the least of its problems. If it came out looking like 'the best thing ever' it still would've suffered from many underlying issues. Us realising that has nothing to do with "us being played" lol.

Your 'arguments' are so poorly thoughtout, I don't know why I even bother.

I said numerous times that visuals for sequels are typically improved along with gameplay once the previous title is over 4 years old. that used to be common place. I said that like 3 times, that both should be expected...why are you acting like that wasn't said lol

so I don't know where you got the idea that by merely mentioning the lack of improvement in that area within reason, means I excluded other aspects of the game that would be important to improve. I said both numerous times.

visuals weren't considered to be a problem for counterstrike 1.6 when valve released source, yet they still improved it. with your logic they didn't need to use the resources?

so yes, I think you are letting the business model of these devs influence your expectations. this is representative of an industry wide issue, and of course they are following modern practices...that's the problem. the fact that I had to explain that is ridiculous .

unless you disagree with the many gamers who say that monetization and profit is staggering progression in the industry. like...I can't believe you used modern online games success as a metric for why they should be doing what they are doing.

it's like I have to explain the modern model is an issue...

Last edited:

acm2000

"Overwatch 2 currently has 100k reviews on Steam since launching 3 days ago, of which 91% are negative. However, nearly 2/3 of those reviews (63k) are written in S.Chinese, with 97% of them being negative. "

its getting reviewed bombed by chinese nerds due to the netease situation

DeaDPo0L84

Critically acclaimed… lol.

These guys should be focussing on their actual game rather than the political horse shit they seem to care so much about.
It's unfortunate cause the problem is only going to get worse before it gets better. DEI is implemented heavily into almost every aspect of today's society. Luckily companies are starting to see that it's actually hurting profits rather than being beneficial to focus on all this woke nonsense to pander to the gender cult, so things will get better, eventually.

tmlDan

Glad you’re having fun with the game but your opinion is just that and regardless of your opinion, there are other people who will disagree. That’s no way to structure your argument and makes it worthless because you clearly aren’t interested in what anyone else thinks.
You see, most people replying to me aren't countering the points i relayed in this thread - if you wanna just reply with nonsense thats fine but im not replying to others because they're just saying they disagree, including you.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

It really is outdated gameplay already somehow. It’s just so frustrating, the push mode with random people isn’t fun

You see, most people replying to me aren't countering the points i relayed in this thread - if you wanna just reply with nonsense thats fine but im not replying to others because they're just saying they disagree, including you.
I’m not trying to counter your points, it’s good that you enjoy the game. You structured your argument in a really defensive way and basically said anyone else who doesn’t agree with you is wrong. Enjoy your game.

BlackTron

Locking heroes behind a battle pass is a legit complaint for Overwatch in particular. The first game was profitable for years while offering free heroes for its entire run.
When developing OW1 they had the idea to unlock and buy heroes, but decided it would break the game balance/integrity so they made it a full on $60 game instead where you get all updates. Wise choice...

So they are fully self aware of what they are doing by locking heroes behind paywall and unlocks in a f2p model -breaking the game. Once their good choices had made it popular, corporate stepped in to exploit the userbase. At the expense of the actual game. Pay more for a game that will be forever broken because no matter how much you pay, everyone will never be on a level playing field ever again.

They should have just monetized the original game with content packs, NOT characters that affect competitive gameplay (with a "2" slapped on)

Top Bottom