• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors |OT| There are some very good reasons to be afraid of the dark

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Once the skeletons show up, everything goes to shit for me.
Hey Boy Hey Girl Skeletons GIF by The Chemical Brothers
I’m havin. Trouble with the wall of Venus plants. I just bite the bullet and run through them taking damage so I can get out of it. Seems to take forever to kill a plant

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Good fun game.

Pretty shit at it getting killed many times around level 15. Just started so I only played about 5 times doing few power ups as I only got so much gold.

My last game was the best using the 4th default character (the Barbadian guy with extra projectiles). Hit level 40.

One thing I didn’t get, maybe a glitch? I’m playing as normal picking up gems and slowing creeping to level up.

But then one time it suddenly level upped like 6 or 7 levels in a row one after another a second apart.

Did o do something crazy so I earned 6 levels in one swoop? And this was a little bit in while playing they barbarian like when I was around level 20.

I’ve just been focusing on bible, garlic and the pigeon doing crazy laser beam. Whatever has area or effect or sweeping attacks I’ve been doing. I find doing the whip or aiming with daggers shit unless I’m doing it wrong.
Red gems are worth more.

I have a couple questions.

1, what are the bottle looking things that drop from the torches in the first stage? Sometimes they drop food, sometimes a coin, but sometimes these weird tall cup looking things?

Also how do you tell what level you are on Xbox?

Game is amazing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

1, what are the bottle looking things that drop from the torches in the first stage? Sometimes they drop food, sometimes a coin, but sometimes these weird tall cup looking things?

Game is amazing
Not sure about #1 as I'm new to the game. But to see what level you are on Xbox, top right corner when playing.

I just played and got up to level 62. I was breezing the second level as new chests would just grant XP or health. I had level 8 whip, garlic, santa water, that time freezing thing that rotates like a clock, regen health 0.2/sec etc.... But got to a point I got surrounded and killed. There was a stretch of at least 10 levels I could just sit there and do nothing and kill everything. But the monsters powered up and I lost. Got to keep moving in this game to prevent getting swarmed. Pick a direction and keep moving.

In the second level I was messing around going left and right back and forth destroying stuff and scooping up gems, but at some point I should had just picked left or right and keep running.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Game is amazing
Not sure which ones look like cups, but I will assume you mean the money bags:

If you press select, or whatever that button is called nowadays, you can see a lot more details with your build, including your weapon levels.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Installed the game didn't think I'd like it as its ugly af, but holy hell it's addictive.

Its hard though, and totally random. You can get good stuff at the start which makes you run for a long time. But you also just know that if the first few stuff you get sucks then it's just better to restart.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Installed the game didn't think I'd like it as its ugly af, but holy hell it's addictive.

Its hard though, and totally random. You can get good stuff at the start which makes you run for a long time. But you also just know that if the first few stuff you get sucks then it's just better to restart.
I would encourage you to experiment, even when you think you've got a shit build. Everything is viable to get to min 30. Once your tasks expand beyond that, then you need more specific builds.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I would encourage you to experiment, even when you think you've got a shit build. Everything is viable to get to min 30. Once your tasks expand beyond that, then you need more specific builds.
Yeah and no. If you only get magic missiles and no aoe or shield then it becomes pretty impossible.

Jennings

I completed 2 maps tonight. I didn't even know they could be "completed." I've also found a couple other playable characters while going through certain maps, and have unlocked a bunch of other stuff.

I've been playing this off and on all night. I don't have a favorite chracter yet, but I have a least favorite, Concetta. Her throwing weapons just don't click well with me for my preferred playstyle. They're too finicky.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fucked up big time.

Was around level 50 and cruising. Maxed out some shit and had crazy shit like maxed out bibles with evo and santa water or whatever. I dont remember but was wiping everything on the board.

I turned off damage numbers now because as I was running around clearing hoards of shit it turned out I was ramming a mummy boss and didn't realize it due to the numbers covering him up. Killed me in a few seconds of touching.

It was clearly my best game at that point out of the ~10 matches I played.

Last edited:

Kilau

This game is a cookie clicker with RNG and timed runs.

I love it.

Played about 20 hours now and I’m trying to take out death but can’t get a run with the Lancet and collecting the 4 relics is a pain while leveling up.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This game is a cookie clicker with RNG and timed runs.

I love it.

Played about 20 hours now and I’m trying to take out death but can’t get a run with the Lancet and collecting the 4 relics is a pain while leveling up.
Go to the unlocks tab. There is an item reward that will help. You can pretty much use the unlocks tab as your guiding point for objectives.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Finally did 30 minutes on Mad Forest and killed by Death in about 3 seconds. I think I was around level 75. Nothing could beat me as I had shit flying everywhere with maxed out Ebony, Bible evo, Cross evo too I think. I didnt realize how awesome maxed out birds are as you just follow the direction of it as it blasts stuff to bits.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just played dairy plant for the first time and was cruising. Way easier than the first two maps.......

..... then got killed at the 29:54 mark as it onslaughted me with shitloads of giant golem dudes. I had max Santa/La Borra, runes and lightning.

I dont have the Revive Power Up yet as I spent my money buying other things. By next game I'll have enough to buy it.

draliko

As soon as you max power ups and get cards the game really starts, platinum on steam and now going again on Xbox, this game is simply fun and addictive, anyway every build is manageable after a while, don't be shy to experiment...

DD4TBJv.jpg

Developer: poncle
Publisher: poncle
Release Date: 30 October 2022
Platforms: Steam, Game Pass (PC only)
Price: $4.99

V8v2466.png
SYNOPSIS

Mow down thousands of night creatures and survive until dawn! Vampire Survivors is a gothic horror casual game with rogue-lite elements, where your choices can allow you to quickly snowball against the hundreds of monsters that get thrown at you.

dnC2BxT.gif

Vampire Survivors is a time survival game with minimalistic gameplay and roguelite elements.

FxFyoh0.gif

There's no place where to hide, all you can do is try to survive a cursed night and get as much gold as possible for the next survivor, before Death inevitably puts an end to your struggles.

Starting Tips
  • Take your time to grab gems and items, they won't disappear.
  • Get two or three offensive weapons at first, but focus on leveling them up one at a time.
  • Armor and Luck are good starting power-ups to spend money on.
  • Refund power-ups often, it's free, and try new upgrade paths.

16amI6J.png
CAST

SiNOCK5.png

And more...!

Qj0kDOQ.png
PHOTOS

KoYZKwk.jpg
p61VTHL.jpg
RaTUYpd.jpg
l1C2LPA.jpg
efXq5w3.jpg
e9wwWKF.jpg

dWzml32.png
VIDEOS

TES9NGI.png
SOUNDTRACK

More at YouTube.

sYFYRde.png
CREDITS

Twitter: https://twitter.com/poncle_vampire
Discord: https://discord.gg/vampire-survivors
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/PoncleGames

lUcSrHu.gif

Very cool the Poster is made exactly like one of the best vampire movies ever fright night 1 and 2 it’s made like the poster from 2 I like it

mxbison

The only thing I don't like is that you can pretty much always get the exact build you want. (Atleast so far, still have a few weapons to unlock)

It's not like Hades where you have to adapt and play with what you get.

I finally reached thirty on the second map and then Death came and pretty much obliterated me? How do you beat him?

I had evo daggers, garlic, and wand. Nothing got close to me, it was pretty great.

So far I can’t make it past maybe the 22 minute mark of the first stage.

draliko

I finally reached thirty on the second map and then Death came and pretty much obliterated me? How do you beat him?

I had evo daggers, garlic, and wand. Nothing got close to me, it was pretty great.

You need to power up yourself... A lot... Death can be killed but pretty late in the game, as a suggestion freezing him is also very handy

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Focus on the unlocks tab. There's additional mechanics and fun to be had. You'll continue to increase your efficacy up until the very end.

Very cool the Poster is made exactly like one of the best vampire movies ever fright night 1 and 2 it’s made like the poster from 2 I like it
I borrow with pride. I'm glad you got the reference. <3

So what are generally considered the best characters and weapons? I don’t remember any of their names, but I like “extra projectile guy”. Looking at the amazing original post, I see it is Gennaro. What about weapons?

I like the dagger and garlic. I haven’t fucked with the freezing thing yet, it’s good?

How do you unlock evo combinations? Some of the weapons I get still have ? for the items.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So what are generally considered the best characters and weapons? I don’t remember any of their names, but I like “extra projectile guy”. Looking at the amazing original post, I see it is Gennaro. What about weapons?

I like the dagger and garlic. I haven’t fucked with the freezing thing yet, it’s good?

How do you unlock evo combinations? Some of the weapons I get still have ? for the items.
Everything is viable. My builds usually involved the duplicator item and as many projectiles as possible. With Sigma, I would tend to do the one weapon runs.

akimbo009

Gold Member
This game is absolutely addicting. Was bored and saw it on Gamepass. Installed it and now have 20+ hrs in it....

Someone mentioned it can get annoying how the builds can be easily picked... But then I saw someone say you kill death.. sooo... Guess I'm going back in :)

Playing on Series X and it seems to be bugged. I did the requirement to unlock Dairy Plant, but still says undiscovered?
Also leveled some of the other items/weapons past the unlock requirement, but didn't unlock for me. The one for Omni

Should be any character - grabbed the relic and killed the hag or whatever?
Ran it with 4 different characters tonight and still didn't unlock. Also did the Omni unlock requirement twice and still didn't unlock either.
I'll just hold off on chasing the other unlocks til a patch drops
Some on reddit reporting the same thing

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Ran it with 4 different characters tonight and still didn't unlock. Also did the Omni unlock requirement twice and still didn't unlock either.
I'll just hold off on chasing the other unlocks til a patch drops
Some on reddit reporting the same thing
That sucks man. There's no PC you could play on?

I dunno if I just got lucky or something but my fourth run of the game ever (and first on the second level, the library) was legendary, got to level 82 and passed 30 mins before everything disappered and some big guy spawned in and killed me. Fun game!

MadPanda

Banned
I just got to 29:30 and died 😭 lvl103. I made a mistake not taking more weapons. I had only six.

Is there a limit on evolutions you can get?

3 weapons seem to be the sweet spot
The knife, Magic Wand, Garlic
The passive upgrades
Kings Crown for more XP
Spinach for more damage
And whatever made you shoot faster

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just got to 29:30 and died 😭 lvl103. I made a mistake not taking more weapons. I had only six.

Is there a limit on evolutions you can get?
Yes, the grim grimoire will tell you all you need to know. You’ll have to find it first.

3 weapons seem to be the sweet spot
The knife, Magic Wand, Garlic
The passive upgrades
Kings Crown for more XP
Spinach for more damage
And whatever made you shoot faster
This will change as you play & unlock more.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Yes, the grim grimoire will tell you all you need to know. You’ll have to find it first.

This will change as you play & unlock more.

I'm having issues with the bosses at the end of each stage. They just beeline to me and pin me down, and I'm unable to move. I'm assuming I need more relics to defend against these type of shenanigans, and that I should stop ignoring the Laurel item?

Other than the bullshit end of level boss fights, one of my fav games this year.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm having issues with the bosses at the end of each stage. They just beeline to me and pin me down, and I'm unable to move. I'm assuming I need more relics to defend against these type of shenanigans, and that I should stop ignoring the Laurel item?

Other than the bullshit end of level boss fights, one of my fav games this year.
Ignore Laurel until mid-late game. If you haven’t evolved weapons, experiment with load outs (or cheat and look the up). 3 or so evolutions in one run is usually enough to get to minute 30 with the bosses gone.

Top Bottom